• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What should Minasian do next?

I know this will sound radical, but . . . fire Joe Maddon. He is not the right manager for this Angels team. In Chicago he was known as a "players first" manager. He still is. He constantly rationalizes losses and poor performance with a "it will all work out in the long run" explanation. This attitude just doesn't cut it these days with so many good, competitive teams out there. Perry Minasian seems like a tough, practical-minded GM. The Pujols termination is proof of that. (I'm sure Maddon was not in favor of that move.)  He has to get rid of Maddon and bring in a manager who doesn't treat the players with kid gloves. (Joe Girardi would have been great choice.) I don't think this Angels team is good enough to make the playoffs, but as a long-suffering fan I'd settle for .500. 

Just now, Jersey Boy said:

I know this will sound radical, but . . . fire Joe Maddon. He is not the right manager for this Angels team. In Chicago he was known as a "players first" manager. He still is. He constantly rationalizes losses and poor performance with a "it will all work out in the long run" explanation. This attitude just doesn't cut it these days with so many good, competitive teams out there. Perry Minasian seems like a tough, practical-minded GM. The Pujols termination is proof of that. (I'm sure Maddon was not in favor of that move.)  He has to get rid of Maddon and bring in a manager who doesn't treat the players with kid gloves. (Joe Girardi would have been great choice.) I don't think this Angels team is good enough to make the playoffs, but as a long-suffering fan I'd settle for .500. 

The point is to win and no manager on earth is going to win with this pitching staff.

I am fine waiting until there is a decent pitching staff to judge Madden.

18 minutes ago, Jersey Boy said:

I'll give you props for outside the box thinking. But no manager, not even the legendary... well, Joe Girardi... would be successful with this bullpen. 

There's not a lot that Minasian can do to fix the team as currently constructed. No one is going to trade relief assets in May, he doesn't want to trade away prospects. Promoting Barria, Sandoval or even Detmers likely results in a marginal upgrade over Quintana, not enough. His own AAA squad doesn't provide much in the way of relief depth. Marsh and Adell need developmental time. Thaiss and Rengifo aren't going to be an upgrade over Ward and Lagares. 

The best thing he can do is let the season play out. If someone hits the waiver wire that can help, make the move. If someone in AA or AAA makes a developmental leap, don't hesitate to promote them. 

2 hours ago, Second Base said:

There's not a lot that Minasian can do to fix the team as currently constructed. No one is going to trade relief assets in May, he doesn't want to trade away prospects. Promoting Barria, Sandoval or even Detmers likely results in a marginal upgrade over Quintana, not enough. His own AAA squad doesn't provide much in the way of relief depth. Marsh and Adell need developmental time. Thaiss and Rengifo aren't going to be an upgrade over Ward and Lagares. 

The best thing he can do is let the season play out. If someone hits the waiver wire that can help, make the move. If someone in AA or AAA makes a developmental leap, don't hesitate to promote them. 

Actually I think Sandavol could do well in the pen.  Barria would be an improvement over Quintana.  I do not like Barria in the pen.  Detmer is not ready.

Still need improvement in the pen.

It has been suggested but no one has responded seriously.  With a six man rotation, why couldn't one starting pitcher be available for relief  each time through the rotation?

They need to sign Bundy and Heaney ASAP.  I’m not sure if its possible before the season ends but if it is, they need to.  There are so many things to deal with this offseason.  Get that out of the way and focus on taking care of the other needs (many).  It’s hard to imagine what the angels are going to do if they can’t keep those two.  Who is going to pitch ? IMO there really isn’t much choice there.  They need eat money and get a couple of usable relievers.  They can’t afford to trade prospects.  The pitching staff is what it is.  They’ll have another shot to look at that in the off-season.  They can right the ship but they have to get a few bullpen arms.  The bullpen is absolutely killing them.  Another massive offseaon fuck up not adequately addressing that. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

3 hours ago, stormngt said:

Get a lock down bullpen!  They say it's easiest and cheaper to build.  Yet we have sucked since 2010 (2014 being an exception).  

A lock down bullpen is more important than a frontline starter.

You can win, at least to some extent, with a weak offense, if you have a good pen and a good starting rotation.....You can win with a mediocre starting rotation if you have a good pen and a good offense.....But there is no real way to win if your pen is going to give away leads late....