• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Albert Pujols released...

3 minutes ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

My thought as well, definitely weird that they'd hang on to him through years of underperformance and then DFA him now. It's not like he's noticeably worse than he's been for most of his contract, sadly. 

Difference is, he’s only owed about $24 million now.

8 minutes ago, Hubs said:

They’re running a short bench but he’s basically been the starting first baseman, (20 of 29 and has DH 2x) so that doesn’t really affect the bench. I also find it hard to believe just now they’d do him this way, with the end of his contract months away. 

And if he wanted to go back to StL, they don’t have room for him, without a DH. So a third team? Or retirement? 

Wonder if he just said he was done. 

One day contract with Cards followed by retirement .

Pujols doesn't need a release from Angels to retire

Not sure how I feel about this.  After all this time, in his last year, to just cut him after the FO benches him feels like dirty pool.  It’s not like he’s singlehandedly cost us these games and certainly isn’t a damn pitcher.

this feels wrong in so many ways to treat a first ballot HOFer this way this late in his contract.

I am not saying we are not better off without him by any means, but it doesn’t feel like something the Angels would do. 

there’s got to be more to this story.  A lot more.  I really hope he requested it.  and that the decision was his.  Then at least we’d have clear conscience?  But on the surface we look like aholes

Update: sounds like Albert asked for it, so be it then.  Again I’ve wanted him to walk away the last couple years.  So yeah we are better off.  Just the timing is so freaking bizarre.  We tolerated his mediocre numbers for 9 years, and this year wasn’t any different, yet they make the call now to cut him?  Not in spring?  Not in the off-season when we could’ve gotten pitching.  Just weird, isn’t it.

and sad that such an amazing career is going out like this.  Fizzling out with deflating ballon noise and negativity and controversy.  What a shame.

but...moving on

Edited by Biergott

1 minute ago, Bronson said:

Cardinals could.

That's the only team I could see doing it. But maybe in an Ms/Ichiro sort of way. The Cardinals are leading their division right now, and it wouldn't make sense from a baseball perspective to give him regular ABs.

1 minute ago, Biergott said:

Not sure how I feel about this.  After all this time, in his last year, to just cut him after the FO benches him feels like dirty pool.  It’s not like he’s singlehandedly cost us these games and certainly isn’t a damn pitcher.

this feels wrong in so many ways to treat a first ballot HOFer this way this late in his contract.

I am not saying we are not better off without him by any means, but it doesn’t feel like something the Angels would do. 

there’s got to be more to this story.  A lot more.  I really hope he requested it.  and that the decision was his.  Then at least we’d have clear conscience?  But on the surface we look like aholes

I don't think anyone is going to lose sleep over releasing him 

1 minute ago, Biergott said:

I really don’t care.  I don’t hate Pujols.  I like him actually.  He was always a good citizen and obviously historically significant.

But he is a grown man.  He gets all his money and the Angels played him more than he actually deserves to play at the back end of this contract.

No he wasn’t mistreated here and nobody needs to be worried about how he feels.

If it comes out that he actually feels wronged, then I would lose respect for him.