• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: Angels vs. Rays (5-4-2021)

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, beatlesrule said:

I am not hip to all the new data and numbers but isn't that really good? So his numbers would be even better if the Angels actually had a good defense. I was curious if there was some kind of formula/calculator where you could figure out what a pitchers numbers would be with better or worse defense behind him. Kind of like looking at a pitchers numbers that aren't very good and not realizing his team was like top 5 in errors allowed or how many errors happened while he pitched that would have lead to his numbers being better. Kind of like how in basketball, you don't get an assist unless the player you pass to makes the shot. Same in hockey. A quarterback might be 15/30 for a game but most of those throws could be accurate and it's just he has sucky receivers.

His ERA was 7.16, I believe, so it is a massive discrepancy. Usually it is less than half a run.

5 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

I am not hip to all the new data and numbers but isn't that really good? So his numbers would be even better if the Angels actually had a good defense. I was curious if there was some kind of formula/calculator where you could figure out what a pitchers numbers would be with better or worse defense behind him. Kind of like looking at a pitchers numbers that aren't very good and not realizing his team was like top 5 in errors allowed or how many errors happened while he pitched that would have lead to his numbers being better. Kind of like how in basketball, you don't get an assist unless the player you pass to makes the shot. Same in hockey. A quarterback might be 15/30 for a game but most of those throws could be accurate and it's just he has sucky receivers.

FIP estimates ERA without defense. It's a better predictor of future ERA than ERA itself. FIP also normalizes faster than ERA, so whatever his 'true talent level' is it's going to be a lot closer to his FIP than his ERA