• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels DFA Scott Schebler, select Phil Gosselin

mmc

16 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I still don't understand why Ward isn't playing RF. He looked good to me out there. Good range and a strong throwing arm. 

Man, anything to push Walsh who I like in RF as well, to 1B to bump Pujols from the lineup. 

This decision seems so obvious. I don't get it. 

59 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Part-time catcher, utility guy for the Bees?

I'd personally love to see him in RF. Has Maddon said anything about his play there last season?

He showed a strong arm and good range, solid routes to the ball there. His bat was pretty solid too.

They want him to catch competently enough that when he’s in the majors he could be the third catcher, which gives you more freedom to hit or run for whoever your starting catcher is. That’s it. As of spring training, they didn’t see him evolving into a guy who could start a game at catcher, although they said it’s not totally impossible. 

As for RF, they seemed to like him a lot in the spring and it looked to me like he made some progress. 

At the moment they are sort of hamstrung by having Rendon hurt and having so many pitchers.

Lets see what happens today with Upton likely being out. My guess is that they DFA Rowen and call up either Ward or Lagares. Then once Rendon is OK, they can DFA Gosselin and call up the other of Ward/Lagares.

As for Pujols, he was doing OK up until a few days ago, and the alternatives were Rojas or Schebler (both LHHs, so they were really only alternatives against RHPs).

I expect that once everyone is healthy, you’ll see more of Ward/Lagares in RF with Walsh at 1B and Pujols on the bench.

19 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Schebler never given much of a chance. Could've put him in RF and Walsh at 1B

That's almost certainly better than continuing to give Pujols ABs.

9 minutes ago, DMVol said:

The Fowler injury created an excuse to give Pujols every day AB's.....we'll see how long it lasts.....

I understand the respect for his career and his hitting knowledge and everything... but it's just painful watching Pujols play. There aren't too many hitters worse than him in baseball that get regular ABs (he might actually be the worst), and even when he gets on his lack of speed makes him a major liability on the basepaths. Those two things in combination have to make him the worst starting player in the league. This offense can be so freaking good, and Pujols is a giant black hole right in the middle of it. I know he wants to play this year out for whatever reasons, but from a performance standpoint he should have retired/been dropped 3-4 years ago. So now we're in year 5 of giving him regular (damn near full time) ABs as a pretty bad to outright terrible player... because we're respecting what he did 10-20 years ago with another team, and hoping for him to find some magical fountain of youth. I get him happily taking the money to keep playing, but the team should have eaten the money and ended this years ago.