• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

Join The Internet Home for Angels fans today! We're Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

• AngelsWin.com's Charity of the Month

20 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

He's terrible.  Awful.  I'm pretty sure I'm better.  The best defensive alignment is Walsh at 1b and Ward in RF.  

Seems like it would be better to:

a) Have Ward and Lagares share RF, Walsh at 1B, and Benboom back up Stassi then to:

b) Have Walsh in RF, Pujols and Rojas share 1B, and Ward as backup catcher?

It would be good to know Maddon’s thinking here.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Give credit and blame where it's due. Jared Walsh likely wouldn't be the force he is without Maddon. Shohei Ohtani wouldn't be unleashed like he had unless a manager made the exact decisions Madd

No manager will make up for this teams continuous lack of pitching talent

Those all seem like tantrums to me. And they happen occasionally. Ohtani stared down a pitcher who hit him. Upton broke the bat over his knee. Mike Mayers yelled at Joey Gallo after bunting for a hit

Posted Images

On 5/4/2021 at 11:20 AM, mmc said:

No manager will make up for this teams continuous lack of pitching talent

I agree with this. But, and maybe this is just me, the defense has been a huge factor in the pitching.

Im seeing little league plays pretty regularly. And a good number of balls that our supposed great infield defense misses by inches.

Its one thing for me to criticize them. The plays are likely a lot harder than they look. But so many of these recent games have seemed equal bad pitching, equal "we should have been out of that inning"

7 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Those all seem like tantrums to me. And they happen occasionally. Ohtani stared down a pitcher who hit him. Upton broke the bat over his knee. Mike Mayers yelled at Joey Gallo after bunting for a hit against him. 

And they have players only meetings occasionally. You haven’t heard about it since pre 2020 because the media no longer has any clue what’s going on in the clubhouse. 

Baseball is a game played every single day for six months and these guys have it pounded into them from the start of their minor league careers that you can’t get overly emotional at every little thing because you’ll burn yourself out and also bug the hell out of your teammates if you’re constantly acting like that. 

To suggest that they don’t care enough because you don’t see it like saying your coworker doesn’t love his wife because you didn’t see them making out at the company Christmas party. You don’t see 95 percent of these guys lives. 

Lastly, since 2015 there have probably been 200 guys who have played for the Angels. You think by some miracle of selection they’ve picked the 200 who don’t care? Or that those guys only care when they’re on other teams?

The “dagger in the heart” post. 

This team has heart. Yeah they aren’t throwing temper tantrums like Amir Garrett but I see plenty of fight in this team.

Seems like every time Upton makes an out he’s yelling, slamming his bat, breaking his bat etc.

6 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

If the pitcher is inducing ground balls and getting K's he's doing what he has control over.   

I may be reading you wrong but you are possibly mistaking my questioning why they aren't on the same page as doublespeak, it's not.  The problem is that whoever is responsible for how they are setting up and whoever is responsible for how the defense is set up AREN'T on the same page..   

The defense has far and away been worse than the pitching.

K/9 - 1st -- the gap for just SPs is even bigger https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=sta&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2021&month=0&season1=2021&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2021-01-01&enddate=2021-12-31&sort=8,d
GB% - 3rd
BaBip allowed 30th
DRS (defensive runs saved) 30th
Def - 10.1, 29th

A rotation ERA of 5.54 .vs an FIP of  3.83 is just laughably hard to believe is actually happening.   Quintana recorded 9 of 11 outs two days ago on his own while giving up a .717 batting average on balls made contact on.   It's unreal.

Too often, I think I've seen what you describe - where it seems the defense isn't positioned in a way that works to the way the batter is being pitched.  

But that ugly walk rate might suggest that it might simply being the starters failing to execute the plan b/c of lack of command.

If it were down to mis-positioning, it seems that it would translate to the relievers as well - but the split in relievers isn't as bad 4.00 vs. 4.47 - I mean, still not great.

I dunno - that ERA vs FIP spread *is* hilariously awful, the DRS is worse, and the BABIP is merely bad by comparison - and I don't know what to make of it all.  

Parenthetically - Upton's defense - whether due to positioning or in his range  - or both - has been pretty poor to my eye, and I think the stats bear that out.

Marsh can't get here soon enough.  

7 minutes ago, DCAngelsFan said:

I dunno - that ERA vs FIP spread *is* hilariously awful, the DRS is worse, and the BABIP is merely bad by comparison - and I don't know what to make of it all.  

It's bonkers ... and it kills me bc the data is essentially screaming at the top of its lungs that its all a fluke and regression towards the mean is coming yet it feels like the exact opposite is happening.  The Babip issues are unreal and its funny in part because a .320 figure in a normal year isn't terribly out of line, the issue is this year the average Babip was closer to .275 the last time I looked which makes that .320 hilariously fluky.

14 minutes ago, DCAngelsFan said:

Too often, I think I've seen what you describe - where it seems the defense isn't positioned in a way that works to the way the batter is being pitched.  

But that ugly walk rate might suggest that it might simply being the starters failing to execute the plan b/c of lack of command.

If it were down to mis-positioning, it seems that it would translate to the relievers as well - but the split in relievers isn't as bad 4.00 vs. 4.47 - I mean, still not great.

Parenthetically - Upton's defense - whether due to positioning or in his range  - or both - has been pretty poor to my eye, and I think the stats bear that out.

Marsh can't get here soon enough.  

don't expect much from Marsh.  He's a rookie who hasn't had a single at bat in AAA and he hasn't played a pro game in over a year other than in spring.  

the walk rate is ugly but not absurd like it explains the defense.  COL, CHC, KCR, DET all have bad pitching and ahead of us in walk rate.  Why isn't as bad for them?

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

It's bonkers ... and it kills me bc the data is essentially screaming at the top of its lungs that its all a fluke and regression towards the mean is coming yet it feels like the exact opposite is happening.  The Babip issues are unreal and its funny in part because a .320 figure in a normal year isn't terribly out of line, the issue is this year the average Babip was closer to .275 the last time I looked which makes that .320 hilariously fluky.

because it's not a fluke.  

Just now, Dochalo said:

because it's not a fluke.  

This is what I can't shake.  It just seems outside of what can be put on random chance. 

I fully admit I may he guilty of looking for a cause because the data is so overwhelmingly crazy, but watching it happen in real time while having the data open and in front of me makes it so very difficult for me to dismiss.

I've said it many times before, I got into stats because I wanted to prove what I was seeing was real, this is one of those times where the eye test isn't making me question the data, so much as it is the processes creating the data.

Its frustrating.  

9 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

don't expect much from Marsh.  He's a rookie who hasn't had a single at bat in AAA and he hasn't played a pro game in over a year other than in spring.  

the walk rate is ugly but not absurd like it explains the defense.  COL, CHC, KCR, DET all have bad pitching and ahead of us in walk rate.  Why isn't as bad for them?

Its also a chicken and egg argument... Is the bad defense leading to an up tick in free passes by virtue of player frustration or them trying to be too fine...  For some its just been bad command (Quintana), but I really don't know how to read it

On 5/4/2021 at 11:48 AM, rageous said:

I don't have a big problem with Maddon but I am worried about his loyalty to Quintana. 

He keeps bringing up how good he used to be when he managed the Cubs but his lack of control seems to be a continuing issue on the year.

Angels need to pull him out of the rotation before its too late.  Its just too many games they are giving away by starting Quintana over and over.

Its too late, by May's end, 10 games below .500

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

Oh, no - I don't even care if he hits - just looking to improve that LF defense.

I'm exaggerating a bit, I suppose - Upton's defense is far from the only problem -  but for a team that was supposed to be built for "run prevention", I'm just looking for something to blame.

I think the walk rate is exacerbated by poor defense, at least in terms of yielding runs.  More pitches, more baserunners, the opposition is simply more likely to score (after all, the ERA rate is terrible before even considering errors and unearned runs.)   I can't really characterize the pitching - I've seen sequences that remind me of CJ - get ahead 0-2, and then nibble, nibble, nibble, oh, he walked him.  Or grooving a meatball in the middle of the plate on that same 0-2 count.  I do get the feeling that sometimes the pitchers are trying to be too fine - either not trusting their stuff, or trusting their team to execute behind them, or to score any runs.   Everyone's trying for the strikeout, and doesn't seem like they're pitching to contact.  

And I'm probably imagining it, but all those pitches, all those long innings, the energy just seems to go out of this team like a leaky balloon. 

Or maybe that's just "me" and my energy and interest level?