• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

大谷翔平 - The Official Shohei Ohtani Thread

20 hours ago, FromJapan said:

Sorry in Japanese English!

Nov. 13, 2106 WBC (World Baseball Classic) at Tokyo Dome home run

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aly3AnfUHdA

Ohtani's hit ball entered the gap between the glass fiber membranes on the ceiling of Tokyo Dome.
Tokyo Dome has an air support structure, the height of the highest part of the ceiling is 61.69m (about 202ft) above the playing surface.
The height of the roof is based on the data of the tallest fly by Babe Ruth.

# At the sports news shows in Japan, it is excited about Ohtani's participation (as a first Japanese player and the first pitcher) in the Home Run Derby.
# Some people are worried about breaking the batting form and excessive impact on his body.

I believe the color guy said...

"As the old saying goes... Hit ball high enough until disappear and also umpire tells you to go to second base"

Edited by ScottT

• Chuck changed the title to 大谷翔平 - The Official Shohei Ohtani Thread
1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

I'm all for hyping Ohtani, but this is sort of a meaningless comparison.  The HR environment in Ruth's day was completely different.  In 1918, when he led the league with 11 HR while still starting 19 games as a pitcher, he hit more HR than 4 other teams did.  In 1919, he led the league with 29 HR and again had more than 4 teams did--and still started 15 games as a pitcher.  In 1920, his first as a full-time OF, he had more HR than every other team in the AL.

Ohtani is great, but he's not Babe Ruth as a batter.  No one will ever dominate a league like Ruth did.

10 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I'm all for hyping Ohtani, but this is sort of a meaningless comparison.  The HR environment in Ruth's day was completely different.  In 1918, when he led the league with 11 HR while still starting 19 games as a pitcher, he hit more HR than 4 other teams did.  In 1919, he led the league with 29 HR and again had more than 4 teams did--and still started 15 games as a pitcher.  In 1920, his first as a full-time OF, he had more HR than every other team in the AL.

Ohtani is great, but he's not Babe Ruth as a batter.  No one will ever dominate a league like Ruth did.

It's not meaningless because it's the only player that did both successfully in the history of the sport. Irregardless of the environment and times.

Babe Ruth these days may have not made it out of AAA or perhaps he'd be a home run hitting DH only but because he was void of solid secondary pitches that would lead to getting hammered at the big league level. 

@jsnpritchett it's OK to have a take and even stick by it, but not everything that is meaningless to you is void of interest to others. That just comes across as pompous. 

The comparison is fun and it's being propagated by MLB, the Angels and nearly every media outlet because Ohtani is a one of a kind player, like Babe Ruth. 

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

It's not meaningless because it's the only player that did both successfully in the history of the sport. Irregardless of the environment and times.

Babe Ruth these days may have not made it out of AAA or perhaps he'd be a home run hitting DH only but because he was void of solid secondary pitches that would lead to getting hammered at the big league level. 

@jsnpritchett it's OK to have a take and even stick by it, but not everything that is meaningless to you is void of interest to others. That just comes across as pompous. 

Lol.  There's nothing pompous about it.  But it's really not a valid comparison.  What does it actually mean?  It makes it seem like Ohtani is "better" than Ruth.  As I explicitly said, he's great--but comping to another player who was in a completely different environment doesn't do anything for either one of them.  Your point about Ruth these days actually lines up with what I'm saying: it's like comparing apples to oranges. 

Ohtani is great and I love watching him.  And, yes, he's the most successful two-way player since Ruth.  Can't that be enough?  🙂

(Random side note: check out Stan Musial's minor league stats.  He was actually a starting pitcher with some pretty darn good (for that era) stats, too, before he got injured and turned to hitting full-time.  I didn't even realize he was a pitcher until recently...)

2 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Lol.  There's nothing pompous about it.  But it's really not a valid comparison.  What does it actually mean?  It makes it seem like Ohtani is "better" than Ruth.  As I explicitly said, he's great--but comping to another player who was in a completely different environment doesn't do anything for either one of them.  Your point about Ruth these days actually lines up with what I'm saying: it's like comparing apples to oranges. 

Ohtani is great and I love watching him.  And, yes, he's the most successful two-way player since Ruth.  Can't that be enough?  🙂

(Random side note: check out Stan Musial's minor league stats.  He was actually a starting pitcher with some pretty darn good (for that era) stats, too, before he got injured and turned to hitting full-time.  I didn't even realize he was a pitcher until recently...)

I'm fine with that. The problem is the comparisons will keep coming in because irregardless of it being a valid comparison based on environment and the talent of those days compared to today, the Babe is the only name that they can associate with Ohtani. 

Wow, I didn't know that about Musial. 

3 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I'm fine with that. The problem is the comparisons will keep coming in because irregardless of it being a valid comparison based on environment and the talent of those days compared to today, the Babe is the only name that they can associate with Ohtani. 

Wow, I didn't know that about Musial. 

Yep!  He pitched for 3 years in the minors as a teen, and went 18-5 with a 2.62 ERA as a 19-year old.  He got hurt and couldn't pitch regularly, then the next year as a 20-year old, hit .359 with 80 extra base hits in the minors before getting a cup of coffee in the bigs with the Cardinals.  The rest is history...

Cool factoid about Musial - I also didn't know that.

I agree with those guys that Ohtani is underrated. He's pretty much maxing out what I thought he was capable of, which is about 8 WAR combined - and he's on pace to surpass that. 

His breakout this year has me nervous about extending him. I hope the Angels do so this offseason, and pay him what he deserves. 

15 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

His breakout this year has me nervous about extending him. I hope the Angels do so this offseason, and pay him what he deserves. 

Think it might be too early. Hes been amazing, but its also only been 3 months.

If hes doing this, or something similar next year, spare no expense

19 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Think it might be too early. Hes been amazing, but its also only been 3 months.

If hes doing this, or something similar next year, spare no expense

Nah. They will get a better bargain this offseason. He's shown what he can do, the only question is health over a long period of time. Lock him up.