• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

大谷翔平 - The Official Shohei Ohtani Thread

Ohtani is compared to Babe Ruth. Babe Ruth was a great hitter and good pitcher. But compare  Ohtani's physique and athleticism  is so much better than Ruth's. Ruth was fat but strong upper body, but l would bet he never threw a 100 mph fastball, or had to bat against a 100 mph fastball, or an splitter such as Ohtani's. I know it was a different era but wasn't as athletic as most players today.

The media was complaining about the way Pujols was let go. Did ever see the way Ruth was treated in his final days/seasons?

Edited by Ace-Of-Diamonds

9 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Ohtani is compared to Babe Ruth. Babe Ruth was a great hitter and good pitcher. But compare  Ohtani's physique and athleticism  is so much better than Ruth's. Ruth was fat but strong upper body, but l would bet he never threw a 100 mph fastball, or had to bat against a 100 mph fastball, or an splitter such as Ohtani's. I know it was a different era but wasn't as athletic as most players today.

The media was complaining about the way Pujols was let go. Did ever see the way Ruth was treated in his final days/seasons?

Ohtani could probably go from home to home before Ruth reached second base as well. His athleticism is off the charts and Ruth is nowhere as athletic as Ohtani. 

On 5/18/2021 at 12:26 PM, Chuckster70 said:

I'm afraid to watch just because I can't stand this guy. Please tell me Russo said nice things about Ohtani?

Finally got around to watching this. He says Ohtani is awesome but he needs to pitch more innings. He also made a good point that Ohtani is hitting and pitching at the same time whereas Ruth mostly pitched for Boston and mostly hit for NY. Ruth didn't really hit and pitch on Ohtani's level at the same time.

3 minutes ago, Lhalo said:

Finally got around to watching this. He says Ohtani is awesome but he needs to pitch more innings. He also made a good point that Ohtani is hitting and pitching at the same time whereas Ruth mostly pitched for Boston and mostly hit for NY. Ruth didn't really hit and pitch on Ohtani's level at the same time.

He did in 1918.  Played 95 games overall, hit 11 HR to lead the league, while also starting 19 games (and pitching in one in relief).  He won 13 games that year and put up 2.3 pitching WAR.  That's probably the closest parallel to Ohtani this year (though obviously Ohtani will end up playing more games overall, assuming he doesn't get hurt).

On 5/19/2021 at 2:59 PM, jsnpritchett said:

He did in 1918.  Played 95 games overall, hit 11 HR to lead the league, while also starting 19 games (and pitching in one in relief).  He won 13 games that year and put up 2.3 pitching WAR.  That's probably the closest parallel to Ohtani this year (though obviously Ohtani will end up playing more games overall, assuming he doesn't get hurt).

Ruth did during spanish flu what shohei is doing during covid

Wins above pandemic, or W.A.P.

Wait, thats already been taken

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Stroman fawns over Trout and now Ohtani so much that I have to imagine he'll have mutual interest in signing here this winter, especially with Perry's early connection to him in Toronto. 

Scenarios like that always sound good, but when all is said and done - $$ talks.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Stroman fawns over Trout and now Ohtani so much that I have to imagine he'll have mutual interest in signing here this winter, especially with Perry's early connection to him in Toronto. 

I hope so. I'd love to sign him and his teammate Syndergaard if Noah proves his stuff is still there and he can remain healthy the rest of the season.

On 5/19/2021 at 2:59 PM, jsnpritchett said:

There wasn't a DH in 1918. So the comparisons between them fall on their face. 

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/shohei-ohtani-was-billed-as-the-next-babe-ruth-this-year-hes-pulling-it-off/

Shohei Ohtani Was Billed As The Next Babe Ruth. This Year, He’s Pulling It Off.

Even before his much-anticipated move from Japan to America in the offseason of 2017-18, baseball fans knew that Shohei Ohtani had virtually unlimited potential as a two-way talent. The biggest question was simply whether his situation — and his durability — would allow him to live up to that promise and become MLB’s first true two-way superstar in a very long time. And so far this season, in his fourth year with the Los Angeles Angels, Ohtani is off to the start fans have long been dreaming of.