• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

大谷翔平 - The Official Shohei Ohtani Thread

210427124818-shohei-ohtani-babe-ruth-split-super-tease.jpeg

Shohei Ohtani is just built different.

Pitching: 2.10 ERA, 40 strikeouts in 25 Innings Pitched. Throws 100 MPH, has the most unhittable pitch in MLB (Split Finger).

Hitting: .903 OPS, 10 HR (tied for the league lead) and 6 SB.

Hits 450-500 foot Home Runs.

Top 3 in the most batted balls over 115mph exit velocity.

Regularly clocks in at or over 30 feet per second speed on the bases.

30 ft/sec = elite

27 ft/sec = MLB avg

Last night marked the second time Shohei Ohtani made a pitching start while also leading the Majors in home runs (10). The last pitcher to make multiple pitching starts in a season while also leading MLB in home runs was Boston’s Babe Ruth in 1919.

Sometimes I wonder if the world is paying attention... he should be on the cover of SI and just about every other major sports publication... heck, even some news publications.  He should be interviewed by every sports news outlet, etc.

He's a breath of fresh air.  He's an amazing story. Historical even.

5 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Sometimes I wonder if the world is paying attention... he should be on the cover of SI and just about every other major sports publication... heck, even some news publications.  He should be interviewed by every sports news outlet, etc.

If the rest of the team could start winning more games than they would have to pay more attention. Since he plays on the "other LA team" they can easily pay attention to something else. I would imagine every baseball expert is paying attention though. 

20 minutes ago, True Grich said:

East Coast bias 

Once in a century guy needs to be known a lot more than the rest of the nation knows him.

18 minutes ago, Toby Flenderson said:

If the rest of the team could start winning more games than they would have to pay more attention. Since he plays on the "other LA team" they can easily pay attention to something else. I would imagine every baseball expert is paying attention though. 

You know, the more I think about it... I actually don't care that he's not getting a lot of national exposure. It's silly for me to even give it any thought.  I'm being serious here.  I'm just going to enjoy watching Ohtani on a nightly basis.

I’ve been so lucky to have been able to watch Mike Trout play live 100’s of times and I’ve told my kids how he’s a “once in a generation” type player, and my kids have really appreciated that.  I honestly think I’ve got complacent watching Trout.

Now, with Shohei, we get to watch a “once in a lifetime” player on a nightly basis.  We may never see a player like this ever again, or at least I don’t think we will.  He is making the game fun to watch again.  I’m hoping to be at a game where he does something historic, just to say “I was there.”

I someday hope to see both of these talents in the post season, but lately that seems nothing more than a pipe dream, but at least I can tell my grandkids I got to see 2 of the greatest players to play the game live and in person.

Shohei is having a weird season. He's hitting only .264 with few walks, leading to a .309 OBP, but has a .600 SLG due to 23 extra-base hits out of 37 total - a crazy rate.

He is leading the majors in Barrels per PA with 14.1%. Acuna is second with 13.7%; Trout is 13th with 10.3.

His BABIP is .299, which is above last year but way below 2018-19, both of which were around .350. Meaning, if everything stays the same but his BABIP goes up, he might end up with a line like .290/.340/.630, with 35-40 HR for the season (if he stays healthy).

8 hours ago, True Grich said:

Absolute, pure, awesomeness.

I can't wait to see what he does tomorrow.  And the next day.  And the next... etc., etc.

We're going to need a whole new vocabulary to describe him and his exploits. He is absolutely must see TV whether pitching, hitting rockets, or running the bases (sometimes too enthusiastically). I can't decide what I like best - his seemingly effortless moonshot bombs or his splitter and slider making professional hitters look like T-ballers. 

He is the brightest star in a rather gloomy Angels sky. Go Shohei.

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

I listen to his pod regularly. It’s really really good. But he’s long been vocal about how much he likes Ohtani. He’s said on a few occasions that Ohtani is the best player he thinks he’s ever seen.