• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: 5/3/2021 Angels vs. Tampa Bay Rays. Fletcher at SS, Ohtani DHing, Rojas at 2B

T.G.

2 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I don’t know.  The money was coming off.  They couldn’t swing it for one year to get somebody other then motley crew they pulled down ? I hope that’s not the case but there are an awful lot of spots to fill in one offseason.  Doesn’t seem promising to me.  Trout is going to be 30.  I know I don’t need to tell you that.  It seems like the Angels didn’t seem to care that much.  

I mean, we've seen for years now that Arte just isn't really willing to go over the luxury threshold. Maybe he will when the Angels are legit contenders and not a middling .500 team, but so far that's been how he's operated over the last handful of years.

3 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Just gotta hope they can figure something out with this group.   There obviously are good players.  They’ve got to get something out of some of these guys.  Too many fucking zeroes.  

Yup... it's a shame too because it's not like this wasn't foreseeable. 

17 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

Correct but if it was broken, I am thinking he would have had to be carried off the field right away. Again, I have never broken my knee cap but I'm not sure he would have been able to walk at all.

First of all unlikely broken.  But, I broke my kneecap falling out of my kids bounce house onto concrete in the basement.  Walked into and around the Er with a limp.  Biggest problem is non weight bearing for 4-6 weeks the weight bearing for a couple. Due to the immobilized you lose all your quad strength.  Would need some rehab to get the legs back again. 

On 4/7/2021 at 11:37 AM, beatlesrule said:

I maintain your best pitcher should be on the mound whenever you need him. If the Angels are ahead by 1 or 2 runs and the other team has the bases loaded in the the 7th, I want the best reliever in the pen on the mound. Get through that inning without giving up any runs and worry about the 9th when it comes.

"Closers" absolutely have the mentality that they come into the game when their team is winning by 3 runs or less and they are there to get the last 3 outs. They aren't as focused when the game is tied.

In the Iglesias shouldn’t come in in non save situations thread, you posted this.  I said this was nonsense.  So if you want to lob me into some group that disagrees with you so be it.  You say a lot of ridiculous things, so I have no issue defending my position that your above post is nonsense.  

It's a long season. No one is running away with the division. As long as Rendon isn't out long term and if  they hang around .500 they should be able to be regroup, make some changes and be interesting. 

If Rendon is gone they are already used to him missing. He really never seemed 100% healthy. They will need to acquire someone better than Rojas. Minasian will have to get creative. But dealing with  in season injuries are a normal part of a GM's work. In fact, an under the radar big part.

The pitching needs to be more consistent/upgraded, the Pujols situation dealt with (limited play) , and Ohtani/Trout/Walsh carry the team till some others regain their form. 

29 minutes ago, Stradling said:

In the Iglesias shouldn’t come in in non save situations thread, you posted this.  I said this was nonsense.  So if you want to lob me into some group that disagrees with you so be it.  You say a lot of ridiculous things, so I have no issue defending my position that your above post is nonsense.  

It's nonsense to you because you seem to think you are all knowing. Gubi and Langston said closers that come in non save situations do worse and don't like it. Those are direct quotes from closers they knew and talked to. That means that Iglesias coming into a non save situation pitches worse. He promptly gave up a 2 run hr tonight in a non save situation. So you are now calling Langston and Gubi and the closers they talked nonsense. That's on you.

2 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

It's nonsense to you because you seem to think you are all knowing. Gubi and Langston said closers that come in non save situations do worse and don't like it. Those are direct quotes from closers they knew and talked to. That means that Iglesias coming into a non save situation pitches worse. He promptly gave up a 2 run hr tonight in a non save situation. So you are now calling Langston and Gubi and the closers they talked nonsense. That's on you.

No, it’s nonsense that you think a closer will be successful in an undefined role.  You want your closer to come in in the 7th or 8th or 9th.  Because listening to those same ball players they’ll tell you that closers are creatures of habit.  I also think it’s nonsense to use a closer in the 7th in hopes you won’t need them in the 9th.  

17 minutes ago, Stradling said:

No, it’s nonsense that you think a closer will be successful in an undefined role.  You want your closer to come in in the 7th or 8th or 9th.  Because listening to those same ball players they’ll tell you that closers are creatures of habit.  I also think it’s nonsense to use a closer in the 7th in hopes you won’t need them in the 9th.  

The closer on the team is not always the best pitcher. I simply want the best pitcher in a situation that calls for it regardless of inning. Opponent has the bases loaded in the bottom of the 7th with 0 out and your team is up on 2? Put in your best pitcher to get out of it. If you have a pitcher that has an ERA under or around 1 and throws 100MPH with amazing control, I want him in there with the bases loaded to help and almost guarantee your team has the lead going into the 8th or 9th. Then your next best pitcher can start the 8th or 9th inning with your team up and no one on base and your team is still up by 2. If he is deemed a closer and can ONLY come in with 2 outs in the 8th in a save situation or 9th, you better have a better or almost as good pitcher in your pen to get you out of jams in earlier innings to help keep the lead for your only closer. I have no problem having a guy you only want to pitch in the 9th with no one on base and the lead as long as there is a guy in the pen with better stuff that can make it possible for the closer to pitch in the first place. 

3 hours ago, bloodbrother said:

Ridding themselves of Pujols and the contract will go a long way in them finally becoming contenders again. They'll have that freed up money to make legit FA additions to the rotation/pen instead of the standard 1yr fliers/reclamation projects

Except that since 2010, Moreno has a poor record at acquiring expensive FAs or trade acquisitions.

Wells, Pujols, Wilson, Hamilton, Upton, and Rendon

Of that group, what would the rating be?   Rendon (if ever staying healthy), might bring that total score to say 2 or 2.25 out of 6.00.

Not much faith in Moreno bringing in the right big money guy

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

Except that since 2010, Moreno has a poor record at acquiring expensive FAs or trade acquisitions.

Of that group, what would the rating be?   Rendon (if ever staying healthy), might bring that total score to say 2 or 2.25 out of 6.00.

shohei ohtani GIF by MLB

7 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

I do not believe it's just Pujols contract. Next year will need 4 new starters and 4 to 5 in bullpen. You hope Sandoval and maybe Detmers can step into starters roles but as of now unproven. I look at this team and have a solid 5 to build around in Trout, Rendon, Ohtani, Walsh and Fletcher. Even Stassi behind the plate is decent. You hope Adell can slide into RF next year. So lineup this lineup looks strong but something is missing (besides pitching), like the team lacks heart.

2 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

X-Rays are negative. Even if we lose Rendon for 5-10 days, we dodged a bullet. 

I’ve just been jaded by all of the false hopes of the team’s injuries being truly day to day, instead of lingering or becoming season ending.

Isn’t this team long overdue for a good health season?

Ohtani (elbow) will be re-evaluated Tuesday and could make his next start as soon as Wednesday, Jack Harris of the Los Angeles Times reports.

Ohtani was scratched from his start Monday after being hit with a pitch on his right elbow the day before, but he was still in the lineup as the team's DH and clocked his ninth home run. The two-way star came out of the contest feeling fine, providing optimism that he can return to the mound soon. That return could come Wednesday against the Rays, though it could also come later in the week against the Dodgers, according to manager Joe Maddon. Regardless of the timing of his next pitching start, it appears that Ohtani's availability as a hitter won't be affected by the sore elbow.