• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Why did we pick Adell over Rogers in 2017?

Just now, robblin17 said:

You could use any draft over the past ten years outside of two (and that's just the first round). Zoom out a bit. 

Look at the thread title (which you created).

Focus. 

Just now, robblin17 said:

Good god. You guys are so sensitive. 

Why don't the Angels draft pitchers in the first round? Can you change the thread title for me?

We're sensitive? You're the one who's getting flustered.

And, no.

Haha.  

Another reason they didn’t draft pitching the last several years is pitchers along with catchers have the biggest fail rate.  When your farm is barren, you have to add talent, and you have to add more sure things.  So many of these first round pick pitchers are projected to be #3 starters.  So would you rather have a #3 starter or a potential all star bat?

4 hours ago, robblin17 said:

Thanks for an actual response vs. the rest of the ass clowns on this board. 

Was Adell actually the BPA or was he the one with the most untapped potential? It seems we have completely neglected high end SP in the first rounds of drafts outside of Detmers, who seems to be more of a high floor guy. 

2020 - Detmers
2019 - Wilson
2018 - Adams
2017 - Adell
2016 - Thaiss
2015 - Ward
2014 - Newcomb
2013 - No First
2012 - No First
2011 - Cron
2010 - Cowart/Clarke

Yikes. Keep drafting "BPA" though!

Swanson wasn't around until 2016. In Thaiss, they got a high floor-low upside player in the first so they could gamble on an elite athlete in the second round (Brandon Marsh). In 2017, yes, Adell was the best player available. His ceiling was through the roof, great athletic frame, well-spoken. Jordyn Adams, same thing. Elite store, high upside.

That's four elite athletic outfielders taken in the first two rounds of the last four drafts. That's why they've earned that rep. Detmers does have a high floor but also has some serious upside. If his velo never improved and he sat 91-92, he'd still make a solid #4 starter in the big leagues in a very short amount of developmental time. But he added a couple ticks once Angels strength and conditioning coaches began working with him and now he's sitting 94. He's got Jon Lester-Pat Corbin (in their primes) type of upside. 

The only pick that didn't match anything from this era was Will Wilson, and he was dealt away almost immediately. He should still end up being a serviceable 2B/3B in the big leagues though. 

8 hours ago, Second Base said:

Swanson wasn't around until 2016. In Thaiss, they got a high floor-low upside player in the first so they could gamble on an elite athlete in the second round (Brandon Marsh). In 2017, yes, Adell was the best player available. His ceiling was through the roof, great athletic frame, well-spoken. Jordyn Adams, same thing. Elite store, high upside.

That's four elite athletic outfielders taken in the first two rounds of the last four drafts. That's why they've earned that rep. Detmers does have a high floor but also has some serious upside. If his velo never improved and he sat 91-92, he'd still make a solid #4 starter in the big leagues in a very short amount of developmental time. But he added a couple ticks once Angels strength and conditioning coaches began working with him and now he's sitting 94. He's got Jon Lester-Pat Corbin (in their primes) type of upside. 

The only pick that didn't match anything from this era was Will Wilson, and he was dealt away almost immediately. He should still end up being a serviceable 2B/3B in the big leagues though. 

I think Ric Wilson was still around for that first Eppler draft.  Hence the Thaiss pick.  

The Wil Wilson pick, I agree, is still the biggest head scratcher by far.   Limited upside guy who won't stay at SS.  That was an obvious opportunity to take an advanced college pitcher instead.  Although that draft was pretty shallow on pitching if I recall but on two pitchers had been taken by the time the Halos selected so they essentially had the pick of the litter sans Lodolo and Manoah.  

I wasn't super high on the Adams pick at the time but that seems like it's headed in the right direction.  Was hoping Gilbert would drop to us and then we passed on Gorman who I really liked but it seems any of those would have been solid choices.  

One thing I'm very curious about is the progression of a bunch of sleeper pitchers from that 2017 draft who we barely got a look at like Van Scoyoc and Nunan.  

53 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I think Ric Wilson was still around for that first Eppler draft.  Hence the Thaiss pick.  

The Wil Wilson pick, I agree, is still the biggest head scratcher by far.   Limited upside guy who won't stay at SS.  That was an obvious opportunity to take an advanced college pitcher instead.  Although that draft was pretty shallow on pitching if I recall but on two pitchers had been taken by the time the Halos selected so they essentially had the pick of the litter sans Lodolo and Manoah.  

I wasn't super high on the Adams pick at the time but that seems like it's headed in the right direction.  Was hoping Gilbert would drop to us and then we passed on Gorman who I really liked but it seems any of those would have been solid choices.  

One thing I'm very curious about is the progression of a bunch of sleeper pitchers from that 2017 draft who we barely got a look at like Van Scoyoc and Nunan.  

I really think that in Eppler's last year or so, he started shifting towards drafting specifically with the intent to start trading for impact arms, hence the redundancy in his picks. 

For a two or three year stretch, his drafts essentially broken into three types of players; hyper-toolsy, young, star potential boom-or-bust athlete OFs, the same type of player at SS, guys that might require overslept, and any cheap college pitching available that could 1) move quickly and round out pen or back of rotation and 2) come cheap enough to help afford those star talents. 

Almost every pick he made the last couple of seasons fit into one of those buckets. 

Had 2020 not been abbreviated and a full minor league season been played, I'm almost positive that the Angels would have been in contention at the deadline and Eppler would have pulled a major trade or two for long-term pitching solutions, partly because guys like Adams, Deveaux, Knowles, Jones, Vera, Paris, or the glut of fringe college pitching prospects (Hernandez, Stallings, Wantz, Warren, Daniel) could have been real, expendable trade currency. 

It didn't happen though, and thankfully, he didn't torpedo the team's future in an attempt to save himself. Could even be why he promoted Adell (and others, but lesser so) so aggressively, in an attempt to prove his farm-building and prospect hoarding to date was going to be successful and demonstrate his plan in action, because he wasn't going to be able to cash in the trade chips as intended. 

Edited by totdprods

15 hours ago, Lou said:

We're sensitive? You're the one who's getting flustered.

And, no.

Well you're no help!

15 hours ago, Stradling said:

Haha.  

Another reason they didn’t draft pitching the last several years is pitchers along with catchers have the biggest fail rate.  When your farm is barren, you have to add talent, and you have to add more sure things.  So many of these first round pick pitchers are projected to be #3 starters.  So would you rather have a #3 starter or a potential all star bat?

This is a good point. Right now, a #3 starter. We've also seen plenty of "sure things" become anything but. Most of our farm development has been low round guys. All of our recent firsts have flamed, position players or not. Obviously we don't know how Adell will pan out, but I am not confident in him. Seems like there are a lot of holes in his game. 

12 hours ago, Second Base said:

Why do you think the Angels stay away from high upside SP's at the top of drafts? It seems like bust potential in baseball is a wide range. Anyone can bust. I understand taking the BPA if you are going to eventually use them to acquire organizational needs at the big league level, but we haven't even done that. And I'm only pushing this because we have Mike Trout and a somewhat "potential" window to win. 

I like what you had to say about Detmers though. That's encouraging. 

3 hours ago, totdprods said:

I really think that in Eppler's last year or so, he started shifting towards drafting specifically with the intent to start trading for impact arms, hence the redundancy in his picks. 

For a two or three year stretch, his drafts essentially broken into three types of players; hyper-toolsy, young, star potential boom-or-bust athlete OFs, the same type of player at SS, guys that might require overslept, and any cheap college pitching available that could 1) move quickly and round out pen or back of rotation and 2) come cheap enough to help afford those star talents. 

Almost every pick he made the last couple of seasons fit into one of those buckets. 

Had 2020 not been abbreviated and a full minor league season been played, I'm almost positive that the Angels would have been in contention at the deadline and Eppler would have pulled a major trade or two for long-term pitching solutions, partly because guys like Adams, Deveaux, Knowles, Jones, Vera, Paris, or the glut of fringe college pitching prospects (Hernandez, Stallings, Wantz, Warren, Daniel) could have been real, expendable trade currency. 

It didn't happen though, and thankfully, he didn't torpedo the team's future in an attempt to save himself. Could even be why he promoted Adell (and others, but lesser so) so aggressively, in an attempt to prove his farm-building and prospect hoarding to date was going to be successful and demonstrate his plan in action, because he wasn't going to be able to cash in the trade chips as intended. 

Interesting take and I think you may be right. I'm bummed we weren't able to see Dipoto through for one more year. 2020 was a joke and to fire him after that season speaks to bigger issues within the Angels organization, which we all know what that is - rhymes with Fart and Bambino. 

@robblin17 If there's one knock on the Angels draft and development strategies, it's the lack of investment in pitching. As much as we all like Jordyn Adams, the team needs pitching. Had they drafted a college starter, the pro team would be in better shape today. Will Wilson too, they really needed to go the pitching route with that pick. 

For the most part, you won't get the ace you want unless you're willing to draft them early and forego the chance at superstar level talent like Adams. 

But to their credit, they have done a bang up job with prep upside starters. C-Rod, Kochanowicz, Holmes, Rivera are all what you want to see.