• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels’ David Fletcher sheds super utility tag

Only one player has occupied the same position in the batting order and the field every day for the Angels in 2021: David Fletcher.

The Orange County native became entrenched as the Angels’ leadoff man last season. But until this year, he seemed destined to carry a “super utility” tag for the duration of his career. In his first three seasons (2018-20), Fletcher made 105 starts at third base, 84 at second base, 57 at shortstop and 18 in left field. He also saw time in right field.

Fletcher has been the Angels’ second baseman for all but three innings this season, the lone exception coming when he was given a breather late in a blowout loss. Manager Joe Maddon said Fletcher will eventually spell Jose Iglesias at shortstop. Iglesias is the only other Angel who’s started every game this season.

“Otherwise, I want to see him at second base,” Maddon said of Fletcher. “I think he’s one of the best second basemen in baseball defensively and I want to have him out there.”

In a way, this represents a reversal of history for Maddon. When he managed the Rays, Maddon started Ben Zobrist at no fewer than five positions each season from 2008-10. Zobrist ultimately played every position other than catcher for Maddon from 2006-14 in Tampa Bay and 2016-19 in Chicago.

In Fletcher, who is no worse than competent at any of the five positions he’s played, Maddon potentially had an heir apparent to the “Zobrist role.” Since he signed a long-term extension on Opening Day, Fletcher has focused his entire effort on second base instead. He’s looked like a Gold Glove candidate, leading the league in putouts without committing an error through Friday.

“It’s nice to be able to go out there every day and be at second,” Fletcher said. “I didn’t mind moving all around, but there is something nice about being able to get my work in at second every day and have the same preparation every day.”

HEATING UP

Fletcher entered Saturday’s game with a .300 batting average (21 for 70) in his previous 16 games. His batting average and on-base percentage are still below .300 for the season because of a miserable start.

Fletcher had just seven hits through the season’s first eight games.

“I think my timing’s been better the last couple games,” he said. “I got off to a little slow start. The results are going to come. For me it’s just about feeling good at the plate and getting on base for the guys behind me.”

ALSO

Iglesias suffered through a difficult half-inning in the bottom of the third Saturday, committing two errors on throws to first base that short-hopped Albert Pujols. They were the sixth and seventh errors of the season charged to Iglesias, who led the American League in fielding percentage as a shortstop in back-to-back seasons (2016-17). … Only San Diego Padres shortstop Fernando Tatís Jr. has committed more errors this season, with 10. … Franklin Barreto, who has missed the entire season with inflammation in his right elbow, has begun baseball activities at the alternate site, Maddon said. … Shohei Ohtani, who will pitch Monday against the Rays in Anaheim, is tentatively scheduled to be the Angels’ designated hitter Sunday in Seattle.

UP NEXT

Angels RHP Dylan Bundy (0-2, 4.20 ERA) at Seattle RHP Justus Sheffield (1-2, 4.53 ERA), 1 p.m. TV/Radio: Bally Sports West/830-AM

View the full article