• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ohtani isn't a 2 hitter

Just now, sammyscioscia said:

I feel like the 2 spot puts too much pressure on him, especially to 'get on base' instead of purely focusing on driving the ball.

You make a good point then you say this which means your good idea was for a dumb reason. 

I explained myself poorly, what I'm trying to say is that the #2 spot is very difficult to excel at, Trout is more than capable of filling that role.  More capable than anyone in baseball.  I'm not saying Ohtani has poor on base ability, just that he will get on base less frequently than Trout.

1 hour ago, Angels 1961 said:

Ohtani and Trout both having good years. If it's working why change it?  

They are both very good players and will look good anywhere they play, but they should be utilized to their best strengths. Trout would also be a very good 6 hitter, does that mean he should stay there? Of course not!

Do you catch my wave?

1 hour ago, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

Flip Ohtani and Rendon in the order?

Career stats says Rendon does not perform well in the #2 spot and is most effective 3rd or 4th. Some guys just mentally handle the #2 spot while others don't. So far in Ohtani's short career his # 2 numbers are not goood. He performs better in the 3,4 &5 spots.

Strange as it may be Upton's career numbers are nearly identical in the #2 spot as 3, 5,6. The four spot seems to be his worst perfromance. 

1 hour ago, sammyscioscia said:

I explained myself poorly, what I'm trying to say is that the #2 spot is very difficult to excel at, Trout is more than capable of filling that role.  More capable than anyone in baseball.  I'm not saying Ohtani has poor on base ability, just that he will get on base less frequently than Trout.

You're not saying it but it's true none the less. 

Moving him down the lineup isn't likely to help him any, if anything it will likely make his all or nothing approach easier to exploit.   Hitting in front of Trout, pitchers have to be wary of Ohtani getting on base and then having to deal with Trout and runners on base -- check Ohtani's numbers .vs pitch types if you doubt he's benefiting from being in front of Trout https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/shohei-ohtani-660271?stats=statcast-r-batting-mlb&playerType=batter

Lineup construction isn't simply about putting guys with certain tools in specific spots but rather it's taking those guys and aligning them in such a manner as to achieve maximum possible output..   Trout is the significantly better hitter with men on base, both this year and for their careers.   If anything, Ohtani needs to be less of a hack -- not only does him getting on base more likely translate into more team production but his splits show he's a monster when he gets 3-1 counts and the sort.

7 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

You're not saying it but it's true none the less. 

Moving him down the lineup isn't likely to help him any, if anything it will likely make his all or nothing approach easier to exploit.   Hitting in front of Trout pitchers have to be wary of him getting on base and then having to deal with Trout and runners on base -- check Ohtani's numbers .vs pitch types if you doubt he's benefiting from being in front of Trout https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/shohei-ohtani-660271?stats=statcast-r-batting-mlb&playerType=batter

Lineup construction isn't simply about putting guys with certain tools in specific spots but rather it's taking those guys and aligning them in such a manner as to achieve maximum possible output..   Trout is the significantly better hitter with men on base, both this year and for their careers.   If anything, Ohtani needs to be less of a hack -- not only does him getting on base more likely translate into more team production but his splits show he's a monster when he gets 3-1 counts and the sort.

Your argument is putting Trout behind anyone makes them a 2 hitter, got you.  So Ohtani is nobody without Trout.