• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Draft Signings - Angels 2013

Ok, are the two unsigned going to be tough signs? Or do you think they are just weighing their options? Also, of these two who do we want the team to focus on? Is this a situation where you tell one of them, we have X amount of dollars to sign one of you the first to say yes gets signed?

Elliot Morris

sr.png

calculator.png

RHP

Pierce (Wash.) JC

Wash.

Pool Amt: $397,300

*Pool Limit: $731,700

+Limit w/o Draft Pick Penalty: $881,610

The calculations above assume that all other unsigned picks are signed for the exact pool allotment assigned to that pick *The amount remaining in the bonus pool for this pick. +The maximum the team can spend without losing draft picks

Kyle McGowin

sr.png

calculator.png

RHP

Savannah State

Ga.

Pool Amt: $297,600

*Pool Limit: $632,000

+Limit w/o Draft Pick Penalty: $781,910

The calculations above assume that all other unsigned picks are signed for the exact pool allotment assigned to that pick *The amount remaining in the bonus pool for this pick. +The maximum the team can spend without losing draft picks

Blake Goins

sr.png

calculator.png

RHP

Pearland (Texas) HS

Texas

Pool Amt: $100,000

*Pool Limit: $434,400

+Limit w/o Draft Pick Penalty: $584,310

4 127 227 Elliot Morris  sr.png  calculator.png RHP Pierce (Wash.) JC Wash.  

FWIW

From an article dated Wed. 6/17/13:

http://www.piercepioneernews.com/2013/06/17/elliot-morris-drafted-to-the-angels/

"Morris said he will be leaving Monday to begin his career as a professional athlete. He said he looks forward most to meeting different people and having the opportunity to travel and play baseball at the same time."

Goins went in the 12th round.  Is there even "slot value" there?  If so, it can't be much.  10th round slot value is around $130K, I think--so even if they go over that by the overage they have, he'd still only be getting mid-3rd round money...

12 367 256 Blake Goins  sr.png  calculator.png RHP Pearland (Texas) HS Texas      
Pool Amt: $100,000 *Pool Limit: $462,000 +Limit w/o Draft Pick Penalty: $611,910 The calculations above assume that all other unsigned picks are signed for the exact pool allotment assigned to that pick *The amount remaining in the bonus pool for this pick. +The maximum the team can spend without losing draft picks

There's a time and a place to drop a huge dollar amount on a newly drafted prospect.  Trumbo was one of those cases.  There was no structure as to what a prospect should sign for, no limits, so 1 million on a huge upside guy like Trumbo was a worthy investment.  

But Blake Goins?  I just don't see the upside to break the bank with him.  Don't get me wrong, he's a good pitching prospect coming out of high school but I don't see him becoming anything higher than a 3rd or 4th round pick in the future.  If he wants to go to Texas that bad, then let him.  I hope he continues to develop and matures while he's there like Matt Harvey did in college.  

There's a time and a place to drop a huge dollar amount on a newly drafted prospect.  Trumbo was one of those cases.  There was no structure as to what a prospect should sign for, no limits, so 1 million on a huge upside guy like Trumbo was a worthy investment.  

But Blake Goins?  I just don't see the upside to break the bank with him.  Don't get me wrong, he's a good pitching prospect coming out of high school but I don't see him becoming anything higher than a 3rd or 4th round pick in the future.  If he wants to go to Texas that bad, then let him.  I hope he continues to develop and matures while he's there like Matt Harvey did in college.  

Does unspent draft allowance "roll over" to future years or is it simply gone?