• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Draft Signings - Angels 2013

There's no apology needed. I am an amateur scout, paid by a bay area agency, and I focus predominantly at the JC and DII ranks.  I'm in touch with a couple of Angels scouts and a Red Sox scout on a continual basis as well as a couple connections from within the organization. I generally trust my own observations and instincts above many others, including Keith Law, but not above Frankie Piliere, who I also converse with.  

I think the thing that throws most people off is that I'm an Angels fan, a blogger and a writer as well as a scout.  I have another career entirely that has nothing to do with baseball that I'm in love with, so I have no interest in becoming a full time scout or being employed by an organization.  People think I'm just a blogger pretending to know it all, and perhaps I am.  

I guess all I can say is if you don't like it, you don't have to read it.  THis is just me having fun. 

Law's good, he has a good eye, but I think the short comings for him come from casting such a wide net.  ESPN clearly doesn't specialize in one team, and even if they did, it wouldn't be the Angels.  The amount of time he spends covering an Angels prospect outside of Trout is minimal.  He might see them once or twice a year, that's it.  I've come to really appreciate Angelswin because much like myself, they prefer to watch these guys on a continual basis.  And sure, when you have an Angels fan scouting an Angels prospect there is a conflict of interest and you'll get some rosy red predictions.  However, when it comes to the tools and observing the intangibles, it's rather cut and dry.  I think that's where AW and I hold an inherent advantage over larger prospect sites.  We see the prospects more, provide more time in getting to know them. 

The reason I trust Frankie above all others is just the sense that I get.  Talking to him, he's a plethora of baseball knowledge and is passionate about the game.  Lots of folks thought he was arrogant too, but every scout in the business would turn to him at every opportunity if they had the chance.

This one might make some folks laugh but you know who'd make a great scout/coach?  Mark Gubicza.  That guy knows everything there is to know about pitching. 

I'm really curious to see if Middleton goes to starter or relief.  The mid 90's fastball and tight slider are alluring for RP, but a 3rd round pick, I'd expect them to try him in the rotation. 

Ya, he doesn't sound like a guy who's immediately locked into relief work, so I would think he'll be given plenty of opportunity to start.

If nothing else, it gets him innings.

From what I've read (and what I've seen from scouting videos), Goins will iron some things out with age and improve as a pitcher, but in terms of upside, it isn't really there.  He's a 6'0 RHP with a stocky build, stiff mechanics but loose arm slot.  He's sitting 91-93 with constancy and 93-94 looks likely.  He has the curve in place already (according to reports) and has a willingness to learn and work on other pitches.  

If it all breaks right for Goins, you have a #4 SP.  I love drafting those guys, the high schoolers with polish as he has.  It speaks volumes as to their ability to pitch up to their potential, which is a rare trait/achievement.  But I wouldn't break the bank for him.  Right around the 12th round is where he should be drafted.

Even if he progresses well in college, I don't think his draft stock would climb any higher than the 3rd or 4th round.  There really isn't much risk in not signing him from the Angels standpoint.  He looks like a good pitcher, someone I'd take a chance on, but if he's asking for anything more than 6th or 7th round money, forget it.

"Also unsigned is fourth-round pick Elliot Morris, a right-hander from Pierce Junior College in Washington; fifth-round selection Kyle McGowin, a right-hander from Georgia's Savannah State; and right-hander Garrett Nuss of Seminole State Junior College in Florida."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-angels-draft-picks-reach-terms-20130614,0,7069756.story?track=rss