• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2021 Free Agents Fans Wanted/How are they doing

20 minutes ago, Slegnaac said:

Richards last night.

7 IP, 1 ER, 10 K

TJ might have given him a second shot at a good career.

Unfortunately it doesn’t count.  You see it was his 5th start of the year, and we have been told to give up on pitchers by their 4th start. So since he went into that start with bad numbers that is what he is. 

One of you guys should keep a list of every starting pitcher who changed teams and see how many got better and how many got worse. 

I bet it’s 70-30 get worse, the simple reason being that good starting pitchers aren’t allowed to leave their teams. 

The way to have good starting pitching is to develop it yourself. Period. 

7 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

One of you guys should keep a list of every starting pitcher who changed teams and see how many got better and how many got worse. 

I bet it’s 70-30 get worse, the simple reason being that good starting pitchers aren’t allowed to leave their teams. 

Unless your GM's name is Bavasi

f307553d07a6ac8b852f32a97d0dfe40.jpg

#stillbutthurtsince80

9 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

So when halos who have not developed many so far what do they do next off season? Over pay for guys like Marcus  Stroman or wait for guys like Sandoval, Detmers and Chris Rod. Angels have 3 starters pitching very well now but need Cobb, Quintana or Canning to step it up to compete this year.

26 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

So when halos who have not developed many so far what do they do next off season? Over pay for guys like Marcus  Stroman or wait for guys like Sandoval, Detmers and Chris Rod. Angels have 3 starters pitching very well now but need Cobb, Quintana or Canning to step it up to compete this year.

You can get one. They can sign one of the top 2-3 starters on the market and he’ll probably be good and he’ll help. But he alone won’t make that much difference. 

The Angels were 26-34 last year. What do you think their record would have been if you’d just swapped Gerrit Cole in there for 11 starts? 30-30? 31-29?

To be good you need a lot of good pitching and the only way to have that is to develop it. 

The Angels need Canning, Ohtani, CRod, Detmers, Sandoval to be productive and maybe re-sign Heaney or Bundy. They need that to happen AND they need to sign or trade for one good one, but it’s mostly the former. 

9 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Maybe.  But when your teams starting pitching is a shit show for years, all that really matters is if your shit show rotation improves.

Over the last couple of years there are definitely pitchers that could have done worse with the Angels than with their former team and yet still improved the Angel rotation.

3 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

You can get one. They can sign one of the top 2-3 starters on the market and he’ll probably be good and he’ll help. But he alone won’t make that much difference. 

The Angels were 26-34 last year. What do you think their record would have been if you’d just swapped Gerrit Cole in there for 11 starts? 30-30? 31-29?

To be good you need a lot of good pitching and the only way to have that is to develop it. 

The Angels need Canning, Ohtani, CRod, Detmers, Sandoval to be productive and maybe re-sign Heaney or Bundy. They need that to happen AND they need to sign or trade for one good one, but it’s mostly the former. 

I agree that was too much money to tie up for Cole. Angels have been spinning their wheels  for last 5 to 6 years. Signings like Harvey, Cahill, Teheran and this year so far Quintana will not get them in the playoffs. Heaney has pitched beyond what anyone thought so far this year. Bundy has been solid since he came to halos and Ohtani if he stays healthy could be ace they need. Unless Canning, Cobb or Quintana can turn it around or a trade I think halos will be around 500 this year. Tampa, Oakland always seem to have good young pitchers and our low budget teams is it all via trades? I know it's early but the way Bundy, Heaney and Ohtani have pitched if only decent numbers out of other 3 haloscould win this division.

Darvish is a trip. I thought for sure (without really paying him any attention the past few years) that he was more or less done as a plus starter. Hope he keeps it up. Especially against the dodgers.

On the same topic, kershaw. He too I thought would be more or less a back of the rotation guy at best by now. He's totally turned it around.

I hope he doesnt keep it up

A lot of the better free agent starters, at least to begin this season, were buy low targets such as Alex Wood, Chris Flexen, Anthony DeSclafani, Carlos Rodon, and Tyler Anderson.  Similar buy low to Cobb who was our choice, and I think that most people would be pretty disappointed in the offseason if Cobb + one of the players I listed were our 2 SP acquisitions.  Likely not sustainable, but it shows that we don't necessarily need to spend a ton of money to get the best results, rather this team really just needs an overall improvement of how they scout pitching talent at both the pro and farm levels.

4 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Darvish is a trip. I thought for sure (without really paying him any attention the past few years) that he was more or less done as a plus starter. Hope he keeps it up. Especially against the dodgers.

On the same topic, kershaw. He too I thought would be more or less a back of the rotation guy at best by now. He's totally turned it around.

I hope he doesnt keep it up

Kershaw is one of the best SP of all time and is only 33. He only stinks in the playoffs. Was it his back that made you think he might be done? Not sure what you mean by turned it around. What year was he bad? Dude has been amazing for as long as I've seen him pitch.

Darvish has been good too when he pitches. Was it his injuries? When healthy, he's definitely a good pitcher and only 34.

12 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

Kershaw is one of the best SP of all time and is only 33. He only stinks in the playoffs. Was it his back that made you think he might be done? Not sure what you mean by turned it around. What year was he bad? Dude has been amazing for as long as I've seen him pitch.

Darvish has been good too when he pitches. Was it his injuries? When healthy, he's definitely a good pitcher and only 34.

Because starting in 17 Kershaws numbers were trending in the wrong direction.... I assumed with age that would continue (because Im an idiot?).

Yes, hes only 33. In terms of healthy regular people, thats young as hell. For baseball players it isnt. 

I should have given him more credit. You are correct. But like I said, his numbers were going the wrong way for 3 years.

Same with Darvis. "Only 34". But starting in 16 he was tending the wrong direction. And not in a minor way. 

38 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Because starting in 17 Kershaws numbers were trending in the wrong direction.... I assumed with age that would continue (because Im an idiot?).

Yes, hes only 33. In terms of healthy regular people, thats young as hell. For baseball players it isnt. 

I should have given him more credit. You are correct. But like I said, his numbers were going the wrong way for 3 years.

Same with Darvis. "Only 34". But starting in 16 he was tending the wrong direction. And not in a minor way. 

Are you referring to Kershaws ERA going from 2.31 in 17 all the way up to the shattering god awful 3.01 in 19? LOL In that case yes, his amazing numbers were going slightly in the wrong direction.

31 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

Are you referring to Kershaws ERA going from 2.31 in 17 all the way up to the shattering god awful 3.01 in 19? LOL In that case yes, his amazing numbers were going slightly in the wrong direction.

No. Im going based off his era plus

If you scroll back above, I never said Kershaw has ever had a bad year. (Go on and look). What I said was that he went from God to good.... and now hes swung back to vintage. At 33.

"But hes one of the best ever!" Yes he is. So was Pujols. Look at Pujols' first 2 years here. And his last 2 in St Lou.

What Kershaw is doing now is swinging back to vintage Pujols in 2014/2015.

Kershaws walks, whip, FIP and era plus are all at their lowest since 2016. They were all trending the other way in 17. And 18. And 19.

Wanna do Darvish now?