• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who will win RF?

Who will win RF?   

37 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win RF?

• Taylor Ward
    • Scott Schebler
    • Jo Adell
    • Brandon Marsh
    • Juan Lagares
    • None (committee)
    • Jon Jay
    • Jared Walsh

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/01/2021 at 07:00 AM

I know this is purely speculative but given Dexter Fowler is out for the season, we will likely get a look at every one of these guys over the course of the season and that decision may come sooner than later depending on how the potential winner performs.  There is also the chance that more than one player will regularly platoon if nobody does outstandingly well to steal the spot.

I think it'll change and evolve with time.

I think Schebler will get a shot at it first.  Nothing against Ward, but I think they'll want some more LH balance in the lineup.

Schebler/Lagares will platoon and just effectively be place holders until one of our young players shows they are ready to play daily.  

RF will be our weak link on the team, but given the strengths of the rest of the team, that's okay.

Trying to understand why Taylor Ward was not the player called up after Fowler’s injury.  He hit well (be it a small sample size) last year and hit the cover off the ball thus Spring.  I appreciate the Rojas story, but to me, Ward, to date, has shown to be a better hitter.  He can play both corner outfield positions, is a gold glove caliber third baseman in Rendon’s absence and can fill in at 2nd and first.

9 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Right now Ward does seem to fill a lot of holes. He can even play catcher if the need to make a late game substitution like last night occurs. 

Not sure if you or anyone knows, but - on road trips, are we allowed to call up players who aren't on the taxi squad?  I have to assume that perhaps we can't, given that's really the purpose of the taxi squad (unless the entire taxi squad is called up on the same trip, I guess)?

Calhoun had 3 hits yesterday. Still looks pretty much the same as he was here. He would be an upgrade considering the low bar of present options. But probably unrealistic and not a long term answer. Adell was supposedly going to be the regular right fielder by now but who knows what his future will be.

Injuries mess up all the planning and projections. Shouldn't be that hard to find a veteran somewhere who has a year or two of average play left. A Jay type, but a bit more useful. The current options all are less than adequate for more than short term use. Moving Ohtani there for a few games as an experiment would be interesting. Walsh is an option, but that creates other problems. Adell could still earn a look if he progresses.

Depends on when you ask.

In April, it'll be mostly Jared Walsh and Juan Lagares.

In May, once the minor league season starts and Rendon comes off the IL, I think Rojas will be sent down and Taylor Ward will come up. At that point, it'll be Ward and Lagares with Walsh back at 1B.

June, I think they'll realize Ward hits, just not as much as you want, and plays some D, just not as well as you want, while Lagares doesn't pinch run or hit as much as they'd want, he only plays D. At that point, I think it will be a Ward/Schebler timeshare. 

July, I think they'll start experimenting with Rengifo out there with Ward. 

August, they'll promote Brandon Marsh and he'll cover it for September and October as well. 

2 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Depends on when you ask.

In April, it'll be mostly Jared Walsh and Juan Lagares.

In May, once the minor league season starts and Rendon comes off the IL, I think Rojas will be sent down and Taylor Ward will come up. At that point, it'll be Ward and Lagares with Walsh back at 1B.

June, I think they'll realize Ward hits, just not as much as you want, and plays some D, just not as well as you want, while Lagares doesn't pinch run or hit as much as they'd want, he only plays D. At that point, I think it will be a Ward/Schebler timeshare. 

July, I think they'll start experimenting with Rengifo out there with Ward. 

August, they'll promote Brandon Marsh and he'll cover it for September and October as well. 

Something like that, although I'm not sure about Rengifo.

10 minutes ago, Don said:

Part of me hopes that Marsh just crushes AAA pitching and is up here after the AS Break. That's an extremely optimistic viewpoint, but right now I see him and Adell as neck and neck to be the future full time RFer here.

I think that scenario is quite possible, even likely. It depends upon how two factors interact:

1) How Marsh performs in AAA.

2) If any of Ward, Schebler, Lagares, Rojas, etc, emerge, and to what degree.

But at this point, I think Marsh is a more likely heir apparent to RF, with Adell being lined up for LF (Marsh could handle any OF position and has a better arm than Adell, who might be better suited for LF long-term).

I think Marsh ends up with more major league plate appearances this year than any of Fowler (obviously), Lagares, Rojas, Schebler, and Adell. Maybe Ward, but I think he ends up playing a fair amount.

Another option I'd like to see them consider is slotting Walsh in RF and giving Thaiss a shot at 1B.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

I think that scenario is quite possible, even likely. It depends upon how two factors interact:

1) How Marsh performs in AAA.

2) If any of Ward, Schebler, Lagares, Rojas, etc, emerge, and to what degree.

But at this point, I think Marsh is a more likely heir apparent to RF, with Adell being lined up for LF (Marsh could handle any OF position and has a better arm than Adell, who might be better suited for LF long-term).

I think Marsh ends up with more major league plate appearances this year than any of Fowler (obviously), Lagares, Rojas, Schebler, and Adell. Maybe Ward, but I think he ends up playing a fair amount.

Another option I'd like to see them consider is slotting Walsh in RF and giving Thaiss a shot at 1B.

It seems like the Halos' plans for LF and RF are very murky. Maybe they'll get lucky with their currents prospects but they probably should look at other options in the next couple of drafts.