• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: José Rojas to get bulk of time at third for Angels with Anthony Rendon out

Anthony Rendon’s injury is opening an opportunity for José Rojas.

Rendon was placed on the injured list on Monday with a strained left groin, an injury he suffered on a throw late in Saturday night’s game against Toronto.

“We’re thinking hopefully about 10 days, but I never want to put a time limit on these things,” Manager Joe Maddon said before Monday’s game in Kansas City. “Let’s let it play out and see where it goes.”

The Angels recalled utility infielder Jack Mayfield to take Rendon’s spot on the roster, but Maddon said he envisions Rojas getting the bulk of the starts at third. Mayfield could go in for defense late in games.

Maddon said infield coach Brian Butterfield was happy with Rojas’ work on defense in spring training.

“I also believe his bat is going to pick up now that he’s getting more consistent at-bats,” Maddon said.

It was an inspirational story when Rojas made the team out of spring training. A 28-year-old former 36th-round pick who was born in Anaheim, Rojas had become a fan favorite by hitting all through the minors, but he never got the chance to play in the big leagues until now.

Still, there wasn’t much playing time available for Rojas behind the Angels’ regular infielders, and he started his big league career going hitless in eight at-bats spread over the first nine games.

OHTANI UPDATE

Shohei Ohtani took a small step toward returning to the mound, throwing a light, 10-pitch bullpen session without a bandage covering the spot where he had developed a troublesome blister.

Maddon said it was an encouraging sign, but Ohtani will need to throw a more intense bullpen session before they can put him back into the rotation.

When asked if he could possibly be ready to pitch one of the three games at home against the Minnesota Twins on Friday-Sunday, Maddon said: “I don’t think so. I can’t say that with 100% certainty, but I would think that he would not be able to do so.”

ROWEN UP

The Angels also recalled side-arming right-hander Ben Rowen and optioned Jaime Barria. Rowen, 32, has pitched in 12 big league games, but none since 2016. Maddon compared him to former reliever Chad Bradford, whose hand nearly scraped the mound during his submarine delivery.

“It’s one of those pitches that never gets there,” Maddon said. “Righties or lefties don’t like it, but he’s a tough guy. And I anticipate good out of him. I thought he threw really well in camp. And he’s ready to rock and roll.”

As with most sidearm pitchers, Rowen is more effective against same-side hitters, but Maddon said he could face lefties too, relying on his changeup and breaking ball.

Rowen filled the 40-man roster spot vacated when Ty Buttrey was placed on the restricted list.

LAGARES SCRATCHED

Juan Lagares was scratched from the Angels’ lineup just before game time with left calf tightness.

The Angels moved Jared Walsh from first base to right field and put Albert Pujols in the lineup at first.

The Angels are already short-handed in the outfield since Dexter Fowler suffered a season-ending knee injury.

View the full article

Yeah - this is the upside of Rendon being out is that this is an opportunity for Rojas to show what he's got.  He looked fantastic in spring.  It's hard to get going when you only get sporadic ABs, so at least he should have a nice little 7-10 game stretch of time where he can put together some solid ABs and show he belongs.

Someone help me out.  When Franklin Jose Barreto Rojas arrived to the Angels, wasn't he referred to as Franklin Barreto?  I understand wanting to go by Jose but my understanding is that Barreto is his paternal family name and Rojas his maternal.  Therefore, his Anglicized family name should be Barreto.  I seriously thought we got a new player (plus his play in spring ball was like he was a new player).

It seems like Jose Rojas has a timing mechanism with his swing.  It's like a half step backward in order to get going forward, and then he appears late to me on his swing.  The swing itself appears fluid.  I'd almost prefer to see him scrap the timing mechanism, be quiet at the plate, and then just swing directly to the ball.

But, I'm a poster on a message board, so I'm confident I have no idea.

26 minutes ago, NorCal Halo said:

Someone help me out.  When Franklin Jose Barreto Rojas arrived to the Angels, wasn't he referred to as Franklin Barreto?  I understand wanting to go by Jose but my understanding is that Barreto is his paternal family name and Rojas his maternal.  Therefore, his Anglicized family name should be Barreto.  I seriously thought we got a new player (plus his play in spring ball was like he was a new player).

Two different players 

15 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Two different players 

Thanks, Stradling.  I'm seriously getting old [and Blarg, if you google "Jose Rojas" you will get baseball reference giving you a link to Franklin Barreto].  BTW, you helped me look again and find this article: https://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/story/2021-04-08/jose-rojas-tale-how-orange-county-kid-made-angels-roster  I like his story.