• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: Angels vs. Blue Jays (4-11-2021): Postponed due to weather

NrM

2 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

Rules?  I think you are confusing rules with statistics.

But you are correct statistically.  If a team got no hits, then they got no hits.

But nobody threw a no hitter if nobody pitched the whole game.

There are rules in determine stats.  What is ruled a hit, error etc.  Dies the record book record a combined no hitter as a no hitter?  I assume there is some rule on the classification. 

Obviously a game with no hits is a no hitter but whoever keeps the official records changed the criteria a few years back and so a pitcher only gets credit if he pitches a complete game of at least 9 innings. So if you have a walk, error SF inning and lose 1-0 on the road so you only actually pitch 8 innings you don't get credit. Same for a game like Harvey Haddix who had a perfect game into the 12th but ended up losing

Let me put it this way:

If I assign a baseline level of acknowledgement/respect for the achievement from one guy pitching a no-hitter at 100. . . 

Then I would score my acknowledgement/respect for the achievement from a “combined” no hitter at probably 15.

It is mostly novelty.

There have been like 300 no-hitters in mlb history.

How many times has a guy taken a no-hitter into the 8th and then given up a hit?  A couple thousand?

And then how many times has a relief pitcher pitched two innings of no-hit ball?  Thousands and thousands of times?  Big deal.

So going like 7 innings of no-hit is just not that special, and then getting 2 innings of no-hit relief help is also not very special.

If it happens in the same game, it is notable and a cute little novelty.  It’s just nowhere near the accomplishment of one guy pitching a nine inning no-hitter.

Even the fact that the guy got taken out of the game at all is evidence that the manager didn’t think he could do it.

Edited by Dtwncbad

11 hours ago, arch stanton said:

ox·y·mo·ron | \ ˌäk-si-ˈmȯr-ˌän

, -sē- \
plural oxymorons or less commonly oxymora\ ˌäk-si-ˈmȯr-ə

, -sē- \

Definition of oxymoron

: a combination of contradictory or incongruous words (such as cruel kindness) broadly : something (such as a concept) that is made up of contradictory or incongruous elements

EX: pretty good golf tournament

when i get home today, i think i'll sit on the grass in my front yard. its a beautiful day, not too hot and not too cool. might even see some of the birds that are nesting in one of the trees. might even see a squirrel or two ambling along.

hows life in the sandbox?

1 hour ago, stormngt said:

Ok, let's say a pitcher is pitching a no hitter but the game is called due to rain after six innings.

@Angel Oracle can check my math on this one, but matt young of the red sox pitched a 5 or 6 inning no-hitter (i believe against cleveland) and the game was called because of rain. the red sox won, but it was determined he would not be credited with a no-no because the game didn't go a full nine innings.

a similar thing happened to our own jered weaver. pitching against the dodgers, he threw a no-no for 8 IP, but the dodgers scored a run on errors and such and won the game, 1-0 without batting in the bottom of the 9th. Weave didn't get credit for a no-hitter, even though the dodgers didn't get a single hit off of him. I remember this because it was a saturday night game and several of us met at Throwbacks to watch the angels beat up on the dodgers in the latrine. Mancini was there and so was Katie, maybe baseballmom too.

2 hours ago, Tank said:

@Angel Oracle can check my math on this one, but matt young of the red sox pitched a 5 or 6 inning no-hitter (i believe against cleveland) and the game was called because of rain. the red sox won, but it was determined he would not be credited with a no-no because the game didn't go a full nine innings.

a similar thing happened to our own jered weaver. pitching against the dodgers, he threw a no-no for 8 IP, but the dodgers scored a run on errors and such and won the game, 1-0 without batting in the bottom of the 9th. Weave didn't get credit for a no-hitter, even though the dodgers didn't get a single hit off of him. I remember this because it was a saturday night game and several of us met at Throwbacks to watch the angels beat up on the dodgers in the latrine. Mancini was there and so was Katie, maybe baseballmom too.

That sucks for matt young