• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels’ Dexter Fowler to undergo season-ending knee surgery

Upon hearing the news that his season is over, Dexter Fowler didn’t spend any time lamenting his bad luck.

“I just want to tell everybody that the comeback season has commenced,” Fowler said Sunday morning from Dunedin, Fla., where the Angels learned that an MRI exam of Fowler’s left knee showed a torn ACL that will require season-ending surgery.

“At the end of the day, these are the cards I’ve been dealt. I’ve got to deal with them and go at it like that. The doctors said I’m going to have a full recovery, so I’m excited to hear that.”

Fowler collided with Toronto Blue Jays second baseman Marcus Semien on Friday night. That night it was diagnosed as a bruise, and the next morning when Fowler felt worse, they upgraded it to a sprain, placed him on the injured list and sent him for an MRI exam. The MRI showed the structural damage.

Fowler is 35 and in the final year of his contract. He is coming off a disappointing season with the St. Louis Cardinals, and now he won’t have the chance to prove he has bounced back.

Still, he doesn’t believe this injury will be the end of his career.

“I want to continue to play,” Fowler said. “I still think I’ve got a lot left in the tank… If I get a chance to keep playing, I love that. But, at the end of the day, I feel that I’ve always given it all I could give. I’m happy to give more and I think I still have a lot more to give.”

Fowler was 5 for 20 at the time of the injury, and just starting to show signs of improvement after a slow start in the first few games. Manager Joe Maddon, who knows Fowler well from their days together with the Chicago Cubs, said it’s as much a loss in the clubhouse.

“He’s one of those glue guys, man,” Maddon said. “He really makes a difference. You talk about it all the time, about clubhouse guys, but this guy really is one. And he works the room every day. And I watch it and it’s fantastic. So we’re gonna miss him.”

In the short term, the Angels will go with the players currently on the roster to man right field. Juan Lagares started in right field on Saturday and was in the lineup for Sunday. José Rojas and Jared Walsh can also play right field.

For a longer term solution, the Angels have several choices from the players currently playing at the alternate site in Arizona.

Taylor Ward and Scott Schebler both had strong performances in spring training. Ward hits right-handed and Schebler hits left-handed. Ward is on the 40-man roster and Schebler isn’t.

Jo Adell is also working out in Arizona. In spring training he showed much more progress at the plate than in the field. Brandon Marsh also could be an option, but he missed significant time in the outfield in spring training because of a shoulder injury, and he still hasn’t even played Triple-A.

“It’s hard for me to imagine that they’ve tightened up their game to the point that you’d want to bring them yet,” Maddon said of Adell and Ward.

The Angels also have veteran Jon Jay currently traveling with the team as part of the taxi squad. Although Jay had a tough spring, Maddon said he’s looked better in workouts this weekend in Dunedin.

The players in Arizona are currently playing a few informal games a week against the Arizona Diamondbacks’ alternate site players. There aren’t the same level of reports or data on those games as there would be from normal minor league games, so Maddon said he didn’t have many specifics on how each of the players has performed so far.

THE SLIDE RULE

A day after an umpire’s interpretation of the rulebook opened the floodgates in the Angels’ 15-1 loss to the Blue Jays, Maddon reiterated that he doesn’t like the five-year-old change to the rules governing slides.

After a series of injuries to middle infielders, rules were tightened to restrict the way runners can go into bases to try to disrupt the defense.

On Saturday night Jonathan Davis slid with his feet clipping the legs of  Angels shortstop José Iglesias, causing Iglesias to make a bad throw to first. Maddon argued that Davis had violated the rules, but he conceded that he was arguing a rule he doesn’t fully support.

Maddon believes that baserunners can be taught to aggressively break up double plays safely.

“With good technique, nobody’s gonna get hurt,” Maddon said. “It’s not about guys getting hurt to me. People get hurt. It’s a tough game it’s not an easy game. You just can’t legislate against injury.”

RENDON OUT

Anthony Rendon was out of the lineup with a sore left groin, which he felt making a throw late in Saturday’s game.

Maddon said he’s not sure if Rendon will need more than one day.

It left the Angels particularly short-handed for Sunday’s game. They were already down a position player when they replaced Fowler on the roster with an extra pitcher, which they turned out to need in Saturday’s blowout loss.

Rojas got the start at third on Sunday.

View the full article

1 hour ago, AngelsWin.com said:

Manager Joe Maddon, who knows Fowler well from their days together with the Chicago Cubs, said it’s as much a loss in the clubhouse.

“He’s one of those glue guys, man,” Maddon said. “He really makes a difference. You talk about it all the time, about clubhouse guys, but this guy really is one. And he works the room every day. And I watch it and it’s fantastic. So we’re gonna miss him.”

I didn't think I'd ever say this: but seeing this quote makes me kind of want them to call up Jon Jay.

We can't really see it, but I think Fowler's presence played an important role and I think that clubhouse presences of guys like Iglesias and Suzuki have as well. So although Jay isn't going to perform great, that clubhouse/dugout presence may be invaluable.

Since they can put Fowler on the 60-day IL, they'd have the 40-man space to add Jay.