• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dexter Fowler has a torn ACL

mmc

25 minutes ago, rageous said:

Do you think Angels would trade for a short term rental RFer solution for this season?

They definitely can't afford to go through the fiasco of last year when they had 0 production from that position.

28th in the league from RFer WAR with -0.7

I think they cycle through internal options before a short term rental.

First up: Lagares/Rojas

Then: Jay/Ward/Schebler.

Next: Adell/Marsh.

If they don't find someone out all those guys, then they'd probably explore the trade market.

4 hours ago, wopphil said:

Roster question: why would the team move Fowler to the 60 day DL rather than release him? If he is never again going to play a game for the Angels, what is the benefit to keeping him in the organization? 

They are obligated to help him through his rehab until the end of the season. 

And I think they see value in having him hang around the clubhouse. 

Otherwise there’s essentially no difference. 

Also, regarding Schebler, he was playing with a pretty jacked up shoulder for most of 18 and 19, I believe, and then didn’t really get a chance to play in 2020.

He said he feels good now. 

I could see them bringing up either Ward or Schebler, honestly. 

And I still think it’ll be Adell by June/July. 

5 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Also, regarding Schebler, he was playing with a pretty jacked up shoulder for most of 18 and 19, I believe, and then didn’t really get a chance to play in 2020.

Yeah, he played CF in the minors and for the Reds prior to his injury. His minor league stats are on par with Jared Walsh and he had a 30-HR season with the Reds followed by what was going to be a better following season in 2018 before he got hurt. 

Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 2.14.36 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-04-11 at 2.14.53 PM.png

20 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

They are obligated to help him through his rehab until the end of the season. 

And I think they see value in having him hang around the clubhouse. 

Otherwise there’s essentially no difference. 

Here's a nerdy question: do the Cardinals get a payout on the insurance policy on Fowler's contract, if he's no longer playing for them? 

21 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I'm a big fan of Adell but June or July only give him 2 to 3 months in minors.I hope Ward gets a shot at RF.

22 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Thanks for the context of Schebler's production.  If he's healthy, he could certainly be a serviceable option to split time with Lagares until one of Adell or Marsh is ready.  Adell did look consdierably improved at the plate in spring, but his defense certainly needs work.  He does seem to be very adaptable and athletic.

7 hours ago, Capital_Dave said:

Here's a nerdy question: do the Cardinals get a payout on the insurance policy on Fowler's contract, if he's no longer playing for them? 

I’m doubt there’s an insurance policy on his contract and if there is it wouldn’t cover this kind of thing. 

On 4/12/2021 at 8:38 PM, Jeff Fletcher said:

I’m doubt there’s an insurance policy on his contract and if there is it wouldn’t cover this kind of thing. 

Jeff what is your estimate on how much salary the Angels would have to take on to get Jason Heyward from the Cubs?

(assuming they just throw back a marginal minor leaguer to the Cubs)

Spitball a number.

22 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

Jeff what is your estimate on how much salary the Angels would have to take on to get Jason Heyward from the Cubs?

(assuming they just throw back a marginal minor leaguer to the Cubs)

Spitball a number.

I am not really that up on the Cubs, but just looking at his numbers I see....

1. He is playing regularly 

2. He was good last year.

Given those two facts, I assume the Cubs actually want to keep Heyward. 

So in order to motivate them to trade him, they can’t simply just get better by saving money. (That doesn’t help them in 2021.) They have to get better on the field. The only way that happens is if they already have a player better than Heyward or the Angels give them a player better than Heyward.

Considering that you eliminated the latter with the phrasing of your question and I don’t know if the former exists, I can’t really give you an answer.

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I am not really that up on the Cubs, but just looking at his numbers I see....

1. He is playing regularly 

2. He was good last year.

Given those two facts, I assume the Cubs actually want to keep Heyward. 

So in order to motivate them to trade him, they can’t simply just get better by saving money. (That doesn’t help them in 2021.) They have to get better on the field. The only way that happens is if they already have a player better than Heyward or the Angels give them a player better than Heyward.

Considering that you eliminated the latter with the phrasing of your question and I don’t know if the former exists, I can’t really give you an answer.

I disagree that they wouldn’t simply dump him and pay a decent portion of the $60 plus million he’s owed over the next three seasons.  They have Rizzo  and Baez extensions to pay for.  To make it worth it for any team the Cubs have to pick up half of his salary. I’d like the Angels to stay far away from a three year commitment to Heyward. 

34 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I disagree that they wouldn’t simply dump him and pay a decent portion of the $60 plus million he’s owed over the next three seasons.  They have Rizzo  and Baez extensions to pay for.  To make it worth it for any team the Cubs have to pick up half of his salary. I’d like the Angels to stay far away from a three year commitment to Heyward. 

You might be right. (I didn’t even realize he had that much left.)

But you also have to bear in mind that salary dumps during the winter are different than salary dumps during the season. In the winter you can use the money you save on someone else. For now the Cubs are still trying to win in 2021, so any deal has to help them win in 2021. So it really comes down to who replaces Heyward in 2021, and I don’t know who that is. 

On 4/12/2021 at 12:59 PM, Taylor said:

I miss Howie Kendrick's Howard's commercials.

I miss the "oh boy" catchline he used. It was similar to the bushs baked beans one, where the guy says "but hes not talking" about the dog, and the dog talks, so the guy goes "oh boy". But not like the quantum leap "oh boy"