• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dexter Fowler has a torn ACL

mmc

8 minutes ago, wopphil said:

Roster question: why would the team move Fowler to the 60 day DL rather than release him? If he is never again going to play a game for the Angels, what is the benefit to keeping him in the organization? 

Because they're not total assholes. It is their way of saying, "you're still on the team" with the implication that if they go to the WS, Fowler can sit on the bench and cheer them on and get a ring.

2 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Fowler was only supposed to be a placeholder but his early exit creates a problem. Not unsurmountable but may put pressure on getting Adell or Marsh promoted earlier than scheduled.

My thought was one of the two would have been phased into the lineup after the All Star break but now that may change.

Regardless, the new stopgap is not going to be as effective as Fowler considering all of the experience he brought to the position. Who would have thought a missplay by Bichette at SS would have taken down Fowler on a freak force play.  

I'm not expecting to see Adell this year, but if we do that spells trouble.

1 minute ago, Warfarin said:

I don’t think you are allowed to outright release a player who was injured in a game.  I could be wrong about that, but I feel like I’ve read that somewhere 

You can release any player at any time but you have to pay his contract salary along with covering medical. 

I think what you are remembering is the A's abusing call ups that got injured on the MLB field but were not placed on the DL before sending them down to the minors so they didn't have to pay them at MLB rate. Then after reassignment they were put on the DL. The A's are dicks. 

1 minute ago, Blarg said:

You can release any player at any time but you have to pay his contract salary along with covering medical. 

I think what you are remembering is the A's abusing call ups that got injured on the MLB field but were not placed on the DL before sending them down to the minors so they didn't have to pay them at MLB rate. Then after reassignment they were put on the DL. The A's are dicks. 

Ahh okay, thanks.  In that sense, since Fowler’s salary is guaranteed as are his medical expenses, there isn’t any financial benefit to release him anyway, so yeah - might as well just keep him on the IL instead.  And for a guy who is supposedly great in the clubhouse and all, added bonus to have him around in that regard

4 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

Schebler can play all 3 OF positions, and gives the club an extra LH power threat in addition to Ohtani.  

Roster spot can be created by placing Fowler on the 60-day DL.  Sad about the injury, though.  It seems like Fowler was very close to being locked in. 

Schebler is bad defensively and hasn't done much with the bat recently, either.  I have no idea why people on here keep suggesting him as an option, even as a stopgap. 

12 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Schebler is bad defensively and hasn't done much with the bat recently, either.  I have no idea why people on here keep suggesting him as an option, even as a stopgap. 

At least offensively, he was league average or better through 2018.  He had a bad year in 2019, and only one AB in 2020.  He's brought up because he can, most likely, at least be replacement level or a tad better, which is basically the upside Fowler brought.  He's a LHH who walks a decent amount and has enough power to at least be a threat.

At this time, we're just trying to buy time until one of Marsh or Adell is legitimately ready.  I think Schebler is fine in that I see his upside as just a bit higher than Fowler's.  Again, nothing great or anything, but he can certainly replace what we just lost until one of our prospects is ready.

If Ward were a LHH, I'd say he is the choice, but I think we need a LHH option.  So, either Schebler or Jay, and I'm rather certain no one wants to see the latter.

13 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

At least offensively, he was league average or better through 2018.  He had a bad year in 2019, and only one AB in 2020.  He's brought up because he can, most likely, at least be replacement level or a tad better, which is basically the upside Fowler brought.  He's a LHH who walks a decent amount and has enough power to at least be a threat.

At this time, we're just trying to buy time until one of Marsh or Adell is legitimately ready.  I think Schebler is fine in that I see his upside as just a bit higher than Fowler's.  Again, nothing great or anything, but he can certainly replace what we just lost until one of our prospects is ready.

If Ward were a LHH, I'd say he is the choice, but I think we need a LHH option.  So, either Schebler or Jay, and I'm rather certain no one wants to see the latter.

I still think it's entirely possible--maybe even likely--that he won't be able to hit enough to even be replacement level, given his crappy defense.  Don't you think there's probably a reason he only had 1 AB in 2020?  And his 2019 was truly awful.  Even in AAA, he only hit .216/.274/.325.

Also, his career splits don't even really show that he's much better against righties than lefties.  He walks a little more against righties, but that's about it.

I get that there aren't a lot of good options for the Angels right now, but I don't see how Schebler is any better than any of the others. 

12 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I still think it's entirely possible--maybe even likely--that he won't be able to hit enough to even be replacement level, given his crappy defense.  Don't you think there's probably a reason he only had 1 AB in 2020?  And his 2019 was truly awful.  Even in AAA, he only hit .216/.274/.325.

Also, his career splits don't even really show that he's much better against righties than lefties.  He walks a little more against righties, but that's about it.

I get that there aren't a lot of good options for the Angels right now, but I don't see how Schebler is any better than any of the others. 

Yeah, I mean, I'm not really saying Schebler is a robust option.  Just think we don't really have a lot of great options currently, and I suspect that Marsh/Adell will need at least another month or two before they're considered options.

I also think that we will inevitably see Walsh out in RF a bit more and Pujols (sigh) at 1B more, or maybe even Rojas.  Rojas at 1B and Walsh in RF might be a better option than Walsh at 1B and Schebler in RF.  Then, we can make a defensive switch in the later innings and have Lagares play RF and Walsh 1B.