• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dexter Fowler has a torn ACL

mmc

Just now, Dochalo said:

Would think it would be Ward due to positional flexibility.  Walsh in RF.  Ward or Rojas at 1b.  

While I'm not a huge fan of his skills, the biggest problem with this is now Albert is going to get more PT which really sucks.  

I was broken record this offseason pointing out that RF could be the downfall of this team and seven games in we are seeing why. Fowler sucks but without him the team is forced to run less than optimal lineup configurations. More Pujols at first, more Walsh, Fletcher, Rojas and Legares in RF. We might even see Rengifo now. Hopefully we see Ward out there full time for now.

Fowler can now help the Angels with his strongest skill set, which is in the dugout and in the clubhouse. 

Lagares should get some decent PT as a result of this, either via late inning defensive replacement when Walsh is in RF, or pinch running for Albert late in the games, or getting the starts in more expansive outfields or against teams that put the ball in play in RF more frequently.

I think it's probably inconsequential who they actually call up unless it's Adell or Marsh. Because Ward, Jay and Schebler all fall in line behind Walsh, Rojas and Larges on the depth chart so they won't get much playing time.

Just now, wopphil said:

Roster question: why would the team move Fowler to the 60 day DL rather than release him? If he is never again going to play a game for the Angels, what is the benefit to keeping him in the organization? 

Human aspect. Releasing him to rehab on his own without the support of his teammates, and team doctors when keeping him on the 60 day IL doesn't eat a roster spot would be messed up. 

4 minutes ago, wopphil said:

Roster question: why would the team move Fowler to the 60 day DL rather than release him? If he is never again going to play a game for the Angels, what is the benefit to keeping him in the organization? 

I don’t think you are allowed to outright release a player who was injured in a game.  I could be wrong about that, but I feel like I’ve read that somewhere 

Fowler was only supposed to be a placeholder but his early exit creates a problem. Not unsurmountable but may put pressure on getting Adell or Marsh promoted earlier than scheduled.

My thought was one of the two would have been phased into the lineup after the All Star break but now that may change.

Regardless, the new stopgap is not going to be as effective as Fowler considering all of the experience he brought to the position. Who would have thought a missplay by Bichette at SS would have taken down Fowler on a freak force play.