• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

A Week in Review: Inside the Numbers

Stats I like so far that I don’t think anyone’s talking about:

• The Angels pitching staff has a strikeout rate of 11.3 per 9 innings. Every starter is in double digits and only four of the fourteen pitchers are not. 
  • Jared Walsh is not striking out. Combining last year and this year, he’s on pace for more extra base hits (80) than strikeouts (75); 50 HR, 17 doubles, 13 triples, and 75 strikeouts. 

27 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Stats I like so far that I don’t think anyone’s talking about:

• The Angels pitching staff has a strikeout rate of 11.3 per 9 innings. Every starter is in double digits and only four of the fourteen pitchers are not. 
  • Jared Walsh is not striking out. Combining last year and this year, he’s on pace for more extra base hits (80) than strikeouts (75); 50 HR, 17 doubles, 13 triples, and 75 strikeouts. 

Walsh might be the most intriguing guy on the team. He is hitting like a legit MOTO guy, and it doesn’t appear to be a complete fluke. His at bats are great, his plate discipline is great, and he incredibly strong. While I wouldn’t expect him to be a 1.000 OPS guy, I don’t think something in the .850 range is unrealistic. 

9 minutes ago, wopphil said:

Walsh might be the most intriguing guy on the team. He is hitting like a legit MOTO guy, and it doesn’t appear to be a complete fluke. His at bats are great, his plate discipline is great, and he incredibly strong. While I wouldn’t expect him to be a 1.000 OPS guy, I don’t think something in the .850 range is unrealistic. 

Yeah I have no idea what to expect with him.

I believed he had a real shot at being a legitimate MLB hitter, maybe a .260/.330/.450 type guy, but September raised expectations. Through one week he’s picked up right where he left off.

I imagine a big part of this is still due to opposing teams not really having the data or scouting or advance prep put into him, and that will start changing quickly with the way he’s hitting. Will they find a way to neutralize him and bring him back to earth a bit, or will he keep adapting? Could be the difference in a solid bat like mentioned above or daresay a perennial All Star candidate? He’s making the latter look more realistic each time up so far.

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

Yeah I have no idea what to expect with him.

I believed he had a real shot at being a legitimate MLB hitter, maybe a .260/.330/.450 type guy, but September raised expectations. Through one week he’s picked up right where he left off.

I imagine a big part of this is still due to opposing teams not really having the data or scouting or advance prep put into him, and that will start changing quickly with the way he’s hitting. Will they find a way to neutralize him and bring him back to earth a bit, or will he keep adapting? Could be the difference in a solid bat like mentioned above or daresay a perennial All Star candidate? He’s making the latter look more realistic each time up so far.

His power is absurd. The ball he hit last night...good God. And he did it off balance. He goes to right field with ease too. The power certain seems like it is here to stay. He will just need to be able to walk enough even when the scouting reports catch up and the batting average and contact rates inevitably go down. 

This lineup has the potential to be good for a long time. Just imagine if we strike gold on Marsh and/or Adell. 

They also seem to be playing offense in a very balanced way. Getting on base, forcing defense to make good plays by being aggressive, making a lot of contact, good situational hitting, not relying on (but still getting) the long ball.

It’s very encouraging.

I was also extremely skeptical of Max Stassi’s breakout last year...digging deeper, he only really killed the Mariners in one series and then had only a couple good games, otherwise he was Max Stassi the rest of the year, but he’s looking solid at the plate this year. 

Edited by totdprods

21 minutes ago, Taylor said:

I don't know what "barrelling the ball" means but it sounds badass.

This is from MLB site.

"To be Barreled, a batted ball requires an exit velocity of at least 98 mph. At that speed, balls struck with a launch angle between 26-30 degrees always garner Barreled classification. For every mph over 98, the range of launch angles expands."

19 minutes ago, rageous said:

Team needs Fletcher to get going though.  

He's costing the team so many runs by not getting on base in front of the hottest hitters on the team.

Im not too worried... same with Rendon and Upton.

I could be totally wrong about that. But Im not going to worry about anyone after one week. Any more than I expect Trout to keep it up.

And dont get me wrong. Im not saying you or anyone else is being silly by mentioning that. I think we're just being "spoiled" in the short term so far this season... were one of the best teams so far.... if everyone was playing to their best ability at the same time, we'd be a 120 win team. 90 is the most realistic best case scenario...

The guys like Fletcher will come around soon enough. (I think)