• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

A Week in Review: Inside the Numbers

Great post @Inside Pitch.

This team definitely looks improved.  As a number have noted, this bullpen has actually been rather good.  As per the Fangraphs link, our best two pitches (so far) have been Slegers and Guerra, although I expect things to change with more time/innings.

The different looks and pitching repertoires have been rather helpful, and from what it sounds like, the "game planning" part that Fabian Ardaya wrote about probably plays a key role, too.  I think we are approaching hitters a bit differently than years past, utilizing a different set of data, and we have the pitchers and repertoires to successfully pull that off.  

On that note, interestingly, Canning yesterday effectively just used two pitches (his 4-seamer and slider) to navigate through his start, whereas in the past, he worked in a third pitch (cutter, change) quite a bit more.  It'll be interesting to see these trends play out over the course of the season.

Quintana did give up a bunch of singles.

if Canning could master the cutter just enough, that could be huge.   The slider is really good, he just needs to not leave the 4 seamer in too hittable spots.

it has been both fun and tense these first 7 games.   Time for me to cut the tense out more and enjoy the ride.

Edited by Angel Oracle

15 minutes ago, Blarg said:

7 games in and the Angels with a 5-2 record but only a +3 run differential. The Astros are at +31, The White Sox +12 and the Blue Jays at -1. It's early but Seattle is -14 and Oakland a shocking -40. 

While true we also played 3 playoff teams while the astros and chisox padded thier differential against the Ms and As. 
The Chisox left Ana -2.  We put a -1 on the Astros in the 2 games, the rest is all Oak/Sea.
Im more encouraged by where we are than where they are. 
Our opening month-ish is actually a bit brutal with almost all potential playoff teams with the exception of  3 with KC and 2 with TX between now and the 25th.  Lets hope the team can keep up this pace till they get to the softer ones... then again we somehow always manage to play down to a lot of those teams so maybe not 🙂.

2 minutes ago, LetsGoHalos said:

This past week has felt like a rollercoaster with so many nailbiting games. If this is the precursor to how the season plays out, this team will be battle tested and ready for a stretch run in September. Just have to keep the momentum going and keep the blood pressure meds close by.

My 5 year old told me to sit down while I was watching the game the other day. I couldn't help pacing back and forth in my family room lol.

• Chuck changed the title to A Week in Review: Inside the Numbers
10 minutes ago, wopphil said:

The offense is firing on about three cylinders - Trout, Walsh and Ohtani. Rendon has been terrible, and Fletcher, Iglesias and Upton should all improve. The offense definitely has the potential to get better. 

This is true, but over the course of a season, we see these things happen - some guys are hot and some guys aren't.  Trout has an OPS over 1.400, which is great, but I doubt terribly sustainable, so as we see some guys (Rendon, Fletcher) heat up, we'll probably see Trout cool off.

Still, this should be one of the best offenses in the AL, and I actually expect it to be one of the best defenses too, at least when we have Lagares playing in RF over Fowler.

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

7 games in and the Angels with a 5-2 record but only a +3 run differential. The Astros are at +31, The White Sox +12 and the Blue Jays at -1. It's early but Seattle is -14 and Oakland a shocking -40. 

The Astros got to beat up on the A's, and the White Sox got to beat up on the Mariners (after we beat up on them). 

3 minutes ago, Taylor said:

The Astros got to beat up on the A's, and the White Sox got to beat up on the Mariners (after we beat up on them). 

But who expected the A’s to be bad?  Maybe they appear bad because they’ve had a brutal schedule.  I remember looking at our schedule and thought the A’s made it harder not easier. 

7 minutes ago, Stradling said:

But who expected the A’s to be bad?  Maybe they appear bad because they’ve had a brutal schedule.  I remember looking at our schedule and thought the A’s made it harder not easier. 

The point is, they're really bad right now. Even if they improve the Astros caught them at the right time.

26 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I agree with that.  I feel we caught the White Sox at the right time. 

I think we played the White Sox well. All four games could have gone either way. Good teams fight each other hard and keep things close, as both teams did in that series. Were we to play them in another four game series, I’d expect similar competition (though perhaps slightly different results). 

27 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Possibly, although the A's continued to suck after the Astros series, while the White Sox started to dominate after the Angels series.

The A’s started the season with 4 against Houston, 3 against the Dodgers and then 3 more against Houston. 

22 minutes ago, Stradling said:

The A’s started the season with 4 against Houston, 3 against the Dodgers and then 3 more against Houston. 

Admittedly, the Astros have played better (or the A's worse?) than I thought.  The A's are actually kinda lucky to have gotten that one win against the Dodgers too.  Otherwise, they'd be 0-8.