• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels catcher Max Stassi off to encouraging start at the plate

So far, so good for Max Stassi.

While it’s certainly too early to say if the offensive adjustments that led to Stassi’s breakout last season will translate into a similar performance over a full season this year, the first week was encouraging.

Stassi was 4 for 11 with a home run and two walks, starting four of the Angels’ first six games.

“I feel great,” Stassi said Thursday from Dunedin, Fla., where the Angels are playing the Toronto Blue Jays this weekend. “I’m just trying to continue where I left off last year. I haven’t really changed a whole lot. It’s just kind of reminding my approach and continuing to work on mastering inside the strike zone. Trying to dominate pitches down the middle and just get better at that.”

Stassi, 30, reworked his swing and approach at the plate following a disappointing 2019 season, when he hit .167 with a .446 OPS. After the Angels acquired him from the Houston Astros, he finished the season going 3 for 42, which prompted the swing changes.

The result was a .278 average with an .886 OPS in 2020, including seven homers in 90 at-bats. He’d hit just 12 homers in the first 432 at-bats of his career.

“I had known him to not be a good offensive player, and then what I saw last year did not indicate that at all,” Manager Joe Maddon said. “The swing is a really good swing. It’s a strong swing and this guy’s got big power. I think he has learned to utilize the whole field now.”

Stassi also is stronger than he’d been because he had hip surgery for a second straight offseason, alleviating discomfort that had dogged him for years.

With strong hips, a new swing and a 162-game season to produce, what could he do?

“If I stick with the process, day to day, and my approach and stay locked in with the hitting coaches, I know those numbers at the end of the year will take care of themselves,” Stassi said.

Then he paused.

“I mean, .340 with 40 and 100 wouldn’t be bad.”

SURGERY FOR BARD

Pitcher Luke Bard will undergo season-ending hip surgery next month, correcting a problem that sidelined him since early in spring training.

Maddon said he could tell the issue was serious from his conversations with the right-hander in Arizona.

“You look at a pitcher’s face and when you ask them how they’re doing and you get that look, you know it’s not very good,” Maddon said. “It’s just very difficult to hide.”

The Angels will be able to place Bard on the 60-day injured as soon as they have someone else to fill his spot on the 40-man roster.

ALSO

Pitcher Felix Peña, who is on the injured list because of a hamstring issue, “is doing well,” Maddon said. “I don’t know exactly what the finish line is, but I’ve heard really good things. … He’s very close to being ready again.” It’s unclear what the Angels will do with Peña when he’s available. Peña was penciled in to the bullpen at the start of spring training, but the additions of Steve Cishek and Tony Watson have made it more crowded. Peña can be optioned this year. …

The Angels brought a five-man taxi squad on the trip to replace any injured players: starter Jaime Barria, reliever Ben Rowen, catcher Anthony Bemboom, infielder Jack Mayfield and outfielder Jon Jay.

View the full article

10 minutes ago, AngelsWin.com said:

The Angels will be able to place Bard on the 60-day injured as soon as they have someone else to fill his spot on the 40-man roster.

FYI, I believe that Bard is already on the 60-day IL.

10 minutes ago, AngelsWin.com said:

Pitcher Felix Peña, who is on the injured list because of a hamstring issue, “is doing well,” Maddon said. “I don’t know exactly what the finish line is, but I’ve heard really good things. … He’s very close to being ready again.” It’s unclear what the Angels will do with Peña when he’s available. Peña was penciled in to the bullpen at the start of spring training, but the additions of Steve Cishek and Tony Watson have made it more crowded. Peña can be optioned this year. …

The Angels brought a five-man taxi squad on the trip to replace any injured players: starter Jaime Barria, reliever Ben Rowen, catcher Anthony Bemboom, infielder Jack Mayfield and outfielder Jon Jay.

Is Peña currently traveling with the team? Or would Peña have to be on the taxi squad in order to be allowed to travel with the team? @Jeff Fletcher

7 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Also, does anyone know whether the guys on the taxi squad are allowed to be in the dugout during games?

"Taxi squad players can work out with the MLB team, but must be in uniform and in the dugout during games."

14 hours ago, Trendon said:

Is Peña currently traveling with the team? Or would Peña have to be on the taxi squad in order to be allowed to travel with the team? @Jeff Fletcher

FWIW, the current taxi squad:

I didn't realize a non-40 man roster player could be on the taxi squad, which is what Rowen is.  It does suggest to me if a 40-man roster spot opens up, he might be the next one added to it.

On 4/8/2021 at 3:58 PM, Lou said:

"Taxi squad players can work out with the MLB team, but must be in uniform and in the dugout during games."

is this one of those times when you put quotation marks around your post to make it look more official?