• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Michael Conforto just stuck his elbow into a would-be strike 3 to take the walk-off HBP..

14 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

He definitely stuck his elbow out a bit and made absolutely no attempt to get out of the way, but he's already hogging the plate as is. Is his elbow in the K zone? He barely moved it. 

Definitely the gayest way to win a game.

The umpire is literally in the process of calling strike three when he switches to HBP.

This is one of those cases the Umpire needs to know the rule book and enforce them appropriately. When they can't they have to be suspended and forced to complete a written test that verifies they understand the rules of the game before they can be reinstated. There is no excuse for this call and Angels Hernandez making up a strike zone. MLB needs to intercede. 

Just now, Bronson said:

This actually pisses me off. If there was ever time to do a protest this is one of those times. A blatant rule goof up. It was in the strike zone. He’s out. End of story. 

Why didn’t they protest?

I don't think they can protest it, but it depends on what the umpire ruled.

If the umpire ruled that it was a ball and that Conforto made an effort to get out of the way then you can't protest it because it is a judgement call.

If the umpire ruled that the ball was a strike and awarded Conforto first base anyway then this is a misapplication of the rules and can be over turned.

52 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Channeling his inner Dick Dietz circa 1968

Fortunately for Drysdale, Harry Wendlestedt told Dietz to come back to the plate, or else the scoreless innings streak ends at 44+.

Someday, there will be an AO monument. And this will be on the bronze plaque in front of it.

And at the bottom, it will have todays date to show its awesomeness.

9 minutes ago, Bronson said:

Don’t be surprised if he gets one to the noggin tomorrow...

Funny story, I was told years back by a Tigers fan that Weaver throwing at Avila that one time was "attempted murder". They even made a blog dedicated to how much they hated him because of it.

I've been saying for years that Detroit has one of the worst fanbases in sports. Like, Boston worst.

Edited by tdawg87

2 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I don't think they can protest it, but it depends on what the umpire ruled.

If the umpire ruled that it was a ball and that Conforto made an effort to get out of the way then you can't protest it because it is a judgement call.

If the umpire ruled that the ball was a strike and awarded Conforto first base anyway then this is a misapplication of the rules and can be over turned.

Well from the video it looked like he was about to ring him up and at the last minute did the hit by pitch motion. 

I don’t know. I would have tried to protest regardless. Nothing to lose. 

1 minute ago, Bronson said:

Well from the video it looked like he was about to ring him up and at the last minute did the hit by pitch motion. 

I don’t know. I would have tried to protest regardless. Nothing to lose. 

Yeah, that's the way I saw it too... but I'm just assuming that a big league manager and a team of umpires have as good a grasp on the rules as I do. If the umpire says it's a ball there is really nothing Mattingly can do, even if the umpire looked like he was about to call a strike. We've seen it before, umpires will change their story and circle the wagons to protect their fragile egos.