• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

I don’t buy this Raisel non-save situation BS

If Trout drives in Ohtani to make the score 3-2 or even 4-2 on a homer, does a switch automatically flips in Raisel’s mind to be more focused on making good pitches?  A relief pitcher should be focused no matter what the situation.   Maybe he isn’t anything more than a league average reliever who just happens to throw pretty hard. 

Just now, TheLordofOuts said:

If Trout drives in Ohtani to make the score 3-2 or even 4-2 on a homer, does a switch automatically flips in Raisel’s mind to be more focused on making good pitches?  A relief pitcher should be focused no matter what the situation.   Maybe he isn’t anything more than a league average reliever who just happens to throw pretty hard. 

Except he's been incredible his entire career in save situations. 

Don't underestimate the mental aspect of the game.

Career 3.17 ERA and 1.12 in 414 innings and 483 strikeouts. 

It takes just a quick google search to show that he isn't league average ffs..

Also for his career

In save situations: 

2.44 ERA

1.023 WHIP

.571 OPS against

In non-save situations:

3.38 ERA

1.187 WHIP

.686 OPS against

Edited by rafibomb

Also this is from an article in 2019

So, when he found himself in a number of non-save situations early in 2019, he expressed his displeasure through the media. “The way they are using me is horribly wrong,” he said to the media after a loss to the Giants in May. And, the splits don’t lie about it; in save situations, Iglesias pitched 42.2 innings with a 3.59 ERA, 1.055 WHIP, and 12.9 K/9. In his other 24.1 innings pitched in 2019, Iglesias served up a 5.18 ERA with a 1.521 WHIP. Yikes.

More from Iglesias on being put into tie-game situations when he was with the Reds

"You can see the other closers, they don’t pitch in tie games," Iglesias told The Enquirer. "I’m the only one who comes in tie games and I’ve given up homers and I’m losing some games. I feel really bad.

"The closer comes in to finish the ballgames," he said. "I've been coming into tie games on the road. I get it. There are situations that the team needs me."

Regardless. This is my take on this entire situation. Raisel needs to be better in those non-save situations rather than bitch about it. But more importantly, Maddon also needs to acknowledge that putting in a guy who has been extremely vocal against being used in this manner (and the numbers back it up) is pretty damn bonehead as well.

Eh. I know games in April matter just as much as September, but I’d rather Maddon learn the hard way right now that Iglesias might not be best for these situations rather than it being learned over the first couple months. So sure, try it out now a few times and if it keeps not working, well now you know. 

Or conversely, something clicks and Iglesias starts producing and it’s an added, unexpected tool you have in the mix suddenly that you didn’t expect before, since the numbers didn’t support that.

Might be good to stress test guys in different roles and situations now, like Walsh in RF, Ohtani when the bases are loaded and he’s running out of gas, if Ohtani can hit and pitch same game, etc.

Edited by totdprods

I don’t really understand pitchers that have issues with this kind of thing.  Of course I have no experience with this sort of situation so my feeling on it is worthless.  I do wonder why Maddon is forcing the issue when it seems obvious he has a problem with it.  Also, why is he using him so much already ?  

49 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Except he's been incredible his entire career in save situations. 

Don't underestimate the mental aspect of the game.

In most cases I agree with you.  If we are at home and tied game we shouldn't use him at all because it's not a sace situation.  Iglesias has to understand as a closer and his team is tied the either plus in a non save situation or do not play him at all.  

The only time we was in a save situation in the first six games was when Iglesias airmailed the throw to third and blew the save.

He needs to prepare himself in those situations.

Just now, stormngt said:

In most cases I agree with you.  If we are at home and tied game we shouldn't use him at all because it's not a sace situation.  Iglesias has to understand as a closer and his team is tied the either plus in a non save situation or do not play him at all.  

The only time we was in a save situation in the first six games was when Iglesias airmailed the throw to third and blew the save.

He needs to prepare himself in those situations.

He had a 1-2-3 inning with 2 strikeouts in a save situation on Opening Day.

58 minutes ago, TheLordofOuts said:

This is the dumbest statement I’ve seen on here in a good long while. Congrats now we have to reset the workplace incidents to “0 days”.

I didn't hate it.  We (at least I) ask for the best pitchers to pitch in tie games in the 9th instead of some bum middle reliever.  Since the Angels are at home and it's tied in the ninth, you just have him sit the rest of the game because there won't be a save situation?

It's dumb if Iglesias can't focus in non-save situations.  

That said, when you acquire a guy, you know who and what he is.  

The impetus is on the manager to put him in a situation that optimizes his chances of success at that point.   

Regardless of whether things should be different.  

4 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I mean Dylan Bundy missed his spot twice in the second inning, so shit happens. 

Glad to see his attitude changed from when he was on the Reds. Regardless, if he continues to struggle in these situations I hope Joe decides to not force the issue and go to someone else when the game is tied. I'm sure Felix Pena's return would help out the pen as well.