• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: Angels vs. Astros (4-6-2021) Rojas starting at 3B - Walsh in RF

Chuck

• Chuck changed the title to Gameday Thread: Angels vs. Astros (4-6-2021) Rojas starting at 3B - Walsh in RF

Great to see Rojas getting a start!  So, it appears he is viewed, at least, as a backup 3B/1B.  Have to imagine he'll get a spot start at 2B to backup Fletcher, and Fletcher will get the spot starts at SS to back up Iglesias.

Also great to see Walsh getting a start in RF.  Not sure how he'll do defensively, but at least this gets his bat in the lineup and should prove to be a good way to have him play regularly even when Pujols starts at 1B.

Kinda odd that Upton isn't hitting behind Trout, but otherwise, lineup looks solid to me.

I imagine late in the game, if we have the lead, might see Lagares come in to play RF and Walsh shift over to 1B.

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

Is Rendon hurt?  Why does he need a day off 6 games into the season?  

Many teams are doing this, he isn't hurt.  Teams across the league are aggressively resting their players.  Think the Dodgers sat both Betts and Seager in their opening 4 game series for the sake of providing them rest.

Going from 60 games to 162 is going to be rough on everyone.

I was thinking it was because Pujols has hit Grienke pretty well over his career: .368, 1 HR, 38AB, until I checked out Upton's career line (.353, 3 HR, 34AB) against the Astros starter today. 

2 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Many teams are doing this, he isn't hurt.  Teams across the league are aggressively resting their players.  Think the Dodgers sat both Betts and Seager in their opening 4 game series for the sake of providing them rest.

Going from 60 games to 162 is going to be rough on everyone.

I guess part of it is keeping the bench guys fresh.  Not a big deal.  Was more curious about whether he might have a minor injury.  

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

I guess part of it is keeping the bench guys fresh.  Not a big deal.  Was more curious about whether he might have a minor injury.  

Yeah, I'd read it as more of just trying to give your star players a breather while giving a bench guy a start.  Rojas was the only one to have not made a start, and now he has his opportunity.

I imagine Rendon would be available to pinch hit in the game if it's close, and possibly even take over, but at least this way he's off for most of the game.  

Just now, Chuckster70 said:

I actually don't have a problem with this. I like to spread the bats throughout the lineup, rather than have 2-3 chumps in a row. 

Yup. There's a pro and con to every lineup. This one has bats spread out but at the same time let's hope we don't have guys on base in the first inning with 1 out and Pujols hitting a ground ball. 

50 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Walsh swinging a hot bat but Pujols gets to hit 4th..... Okay....

Albert is still an RBI machine. In the last full season (2019 - everyone gets a pass for 2020) Albert was 8th in the American League for plate appearances per RBI at 5.86 (MLB average was 8.29) and hit .294/.362/.551 with RISP in 136 at bats (Trout hit .297; Upton hit .258 with RISP). He hit into 21 GIDP's. For comparison Abreu hit into 24, Brantley 21, Mancini 22, Grichuk 20, JD Martinez 19 - all of those apart from Abreu were below Albert for PA's per RBI. It's interesting to note that Albert's career PA per RBI is 5.89, right in line with his last full season performance. 

2 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I was thinking it was because Pujols has hit Grienke pretty well over his career: .368, 1 HR, 38AB, until I checked out Upton's career line (.353, 3 HR, 34AB) against the Astros starter today. 

Pujols hit everybody pretty well “over his career.”  He is Albert Pujols.

The question is how has he hit him over the last couple of years?