Jump to content
  • Welcome to AngelsWin.com

    Join The Internet Home for Angels fans today! We're Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

  • AngelsWin.com's Charity of the Month

This team is magical


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To @Angelsjunky's point.....  

This team is doing two things so far this season. 1. Winning close games, which they haven’t done much in the past. 2. Not quitting in the late innings. Both have been trademarks of pas

Please stop this. 

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Junkballer said:

Its so early in the season but if the numbers are reasonable it would be preferable to extend him than waiting until they need to offer a huge contract to one of the 2022 SS FAs. 

I don't think we'll be in the market to go after Seager/Story/Correa/Baez, so I'd be perfectly happy offering a 2 to 3 year deal to Iglesias.  My guess is given how stacked SS is, and how teams with money are going to be chasing the top 4 elite talents, Iglesias will likely be able to be re-signed at a bit of a bargain/discount, IMO.  We have some good young talent at SS, but they're multiple years away.

In terms of our pending FAs, my #1 choice would be to sign Bundy, and after that, Jose Iglesias.  Raisel Iglesias, given how volatile relievers are, would probably come a distant third by comparison.

A 2022 lineup of 2B Fletcher, DH Ohtani, CF Trout, 3B Rendon, 1B Walsh, LF Upton, RF Marsh, C Stassi, SS Iglesias, with a bench of a backup C, IF/OF Ward, IF/OF Rengifo, and IF Rojas would be amazing, and it is very easily doable, too.  Offensively speaking, I'd say this team is pretty close to "set" for a number of years, especially if we re-sign Iglesias.

Link to post
Share on other sites

While threads like "this team is magical" after 5 games sorta seems to be tempting fate in a negative way, I'll say that it's been a real joy to watch these first five games.  The team is really gritty, and even if/when we fall behind, we keep battling back.  Even the game that we lost, down by 6, this team kept battling.

Minasian and Maddon have worked together to re-shape the clubhouse culture and put together a team of "fighters," so to speak.  It won't always be like this, but I'm definitely enjoying the games.  Especially when we come from behind and beat the vile Astros 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, m0nkey said:

This team is giving me 2002 vibes! You can just feel the magic when watching the games.


I’m pumped!

Came here to say this exact thing, it feels like for years the Angels gameplan has been this:

 

1.) Get behind early.

2.) Start to chip away at the lead in the middle innings.

3.) Give up 2-4 runs in the 7th or 8th

4.) Give up and lose the game with a whimper

 

This team almost feels like they know they will win even when behind, that was the 2002 team, they played to the final out.

It's good to see this form of Angels baseball back and I hope it continues throughout the season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, m0nkey said:

This team is giving me 2002 vibes! You can just feel the magic when watching the games.


I’m pumped!

Showing my age - and it's way too small a sample size - but the 1979 team (at least in my memory) had this near-supernatural ability to come-from-behind - you'd just kind of wait for the 8th inning for the come-back.  

This team - so far has shown that same attitude and aptitude.  

Of course, a lot of that was due to the "meh" pitching but let's not get technical ... 😉

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wont jump on the magic bandwagon yet. Too much bad reality the past few years, and we still have very real weaknesses.

That said, weve not only held our own, but looked great and won so far against very good teams. Two teams most realistic people would say are better than our team.

And Ive always been a huge believer that teams that routinely come from behind and win are better than the teams that win "easy".

Hope to see this keep going. The pen will screw up at some point. Lets hope the SP and defense pick them up when they do, and vice versa.

Should be a fun year

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/6/2021 at 5:35 AM, Warfarin said:

I don't think we'll be in the market to go after Seager/Story/Correa/Baez, so I'd be perfectly happy offering a 2 to 3 year deal to Iglesias.  My guess is given how stacked SS is, and how teams with money are going to be chasing the top 4 elite talents, Iglesias will likely be able to be re-signed at a bit of a bargain/discount, IMO.  We have some good young talent at SS, but they're multiple years away.

In terms of our pending FAs, my #1 choice would be to sign Bundy, and after that, Jose Iglesias.  Raisel Iglesias, given how volatile relievers are, would probably come a distant third by comparison.

A 2022 lineup of 2B Fletcher, DH Ohtani, CF Trout, 3B Rendon, 1B Walsh, LF Upton, RF Marsh, C Stassi, SS Iglesias, with a bench of a backup C, IF/OF Ward, IF/OF Rengifo, and IF Rojas would be amazing, and it is very easily doable, too.  Offensively speaking, I'd say this team is pretty close to "set" for a number of years, especially if we re-sign Iglesias.

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but why wait for 2022?  FatAlbertross needs to go!  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, oldguy said:

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but why wait for 2022?  FatAlbertross needs to go!  

I try to be realistic in my expectations.  Albert is not getting released.  At this point, it is what it is.  While I do think the team is better off without him, it would probably be a poor look for them to just let him go at this point, in terms of the clubhouse.  People can get upset with it, but again, nothing is changing.

Now, come August/September, if we are in the thick of the race, I would expect to see our best lineup played.  If Pujols is not playing well, then he will likely remain on the bench most of the time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

I try to be realistic in my expectations.  Albert is not getting released.  At this point, it is what it is.  While I do think the team is better off without him, it would probably be a poor look for them to just let him go at this point, in terms of the clubhouse.  People can get upset with it, but again, nothing is changing.

Now, come August/September, if we are in the thick of the race, I would expect to see our best lineup played.  If Pujols is not playing well, then he will likely remain on the bench most of the time.

If he continues to hit like he has the first week into early May, the starts HAVE to be limited to 1-2 times/week by then.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LetsGoHalos said:

Like most, I'd prefer to see the offense click earlier so they aren't having to come from behind every other day. I do like the "fight" in the team this early in the season, just need them to maintain that fight even when things go south for a little bit.

Yeah. Seeing the fight they have is great, but they can't rely on having that all season.

Sooner or later, they need to get out to a lead early and cruise to a victory.

I'd imagine it's just a product of starting off against 2 really good teams. Against really good teams, it's gonna be closer and you aren't gonna have many games where you cruise to a victory. So it's good to see their late-inning fight in those games.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...