• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

okay. its time for a new voice...

Look at some of the other MLB coaching staffs. Good God Look at the Dbacks

Gibson, Baylor, Nagy. Sax, Matt Williams, Allan Trammel...

2 of those "assistants" once managed, and all of them were stars. REAL ballplayers. All Star Teams.

Chili Davis in OAK...that guy could actually hit!

You going to listen the Jim Eppard or Mike Butcher or Piccilo ( or whatever his obscure no-name is)?

Seroiusly. Scioscia has assembled the Chester Milktoasts of coaching staffs.

Who are these guys and what ML player is going to take them seriously??

Yes because Joe Maddon and Ron Reonicke were stars, right?  Bud Black maybe marginally, but none of the guys the knee-jerks want to give credit for past successes by this team were stars by any stretch.

Tony LaRussa hit under.200 for his career.   What a schleb, nobody would ever listen to him.  Bobby Cox, .225 career hitter..  Another schleb.  Sparky Anderson, Leo Durocher, Walter Alston, Casey Stengel, Earl Weaver,.... All stiffs,

You guys that want name recognition in a new manager were likely complaining when the Angels were boring, pitched well, ran the bases, played defense and won 90+ games a year..

Things sure worked out well the last time you got your way.

Another petty critic?

Guard your ankles...someone let the poodles out tonight.

Okay, so the lineup thing is all you've really got, even though he's had a fairly consistent lineup most of the year save for a few minor adjustments and compensating for injuries.

For as bad as they're playing I figured there'd be a lot more you could point to.

Put yourself in Arte's shoes. Season is lost. Do you A: ride out this season (which is already lost) and at the end of the season give Mike a front office position, which I doubt it will accept, and hope he opts out of his contract, or possibly trade him. Or do you B: Fire him and pay him $30 million? Seems like a pretty obvious choice to me. Let me know when you are going to write a $30 million check.

i think he rides out the season and makes a change the day after the season ends

We are going on 3 seasons now of underperformance.  How many is enough?  3? 5? 10?  Maybe Sosh has lost it, maybe he hasn't, but the product on the field for the last few seasons now has made it clear that a new voice is needed.  I have nothing against Sosh and appreciate all that he's done for the organization, but the constant defensive miscues, base running blunders, and bullpen mismanagement has gotten old and I think a lot of that can be attributed to management.  It's a lack of focus and discipline, which is wholly in the manager's control.

I think you at least need to give Dipoto a chance to get a guy in here that he views as a fit to manage the team.  It does not seem that Sosh's strengths and the composition of this roster is a match.  It would seem to me that both the organization and Sosh might benefit from a mutual parting of ways.

scioscia is a convenient scapegoat for people who can't look at things objectively.

cj wilson: his walk rate was high in 2010 and while he was able to make adjustments in 2011, it looks like he's reverted to his old habits. he's also getting older. that's not scioscia's fault.

pujols: may be much older than he claims, can barely run, and i'm sure the injury is impacting his hitting. also not scioscia's fault.

hamilton: he's a stubborn dude who's had bad seasons before. he may also be experiencing an extreme decline due to his approach. this, too, is not scioscia's fault.

blanton: bad pitcher

are the players so consumed by the thought of playing for scioscia that they're sucking on the field? it's very unlikely. he'd be the easiest person to fire, but fingers should be pointed at moreno and dipoto.

Funny observation... everyone complains about how predictable Scioscia's post game comments are and yet... when the Angels lose - the same can be said about some of the posters in here.  Just saying.

So what about last season?  Or the season before?  What does Scioscia do to warrant keeping around?  Any support I've seen for keep Sosh the past few seasons is in the abstract--no one can seem to point to anything on the field.  Based on the logic that the manager doesn't play, the players do, what manager would ever get fired?   

Replacing MS mid-season won't do jack sh*t. If you expect the team to just magically turn it around with an interim coach then you are sadly mistaken.

That said it is obviously time for a change. The FO needs to sit down in the offseason and think long and hard about who they want coaching this team. Firing Mike now forces the Angels to be reactionary. Then they would HAVE to find a new manager for next season, regardless of the options available.