• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: White Sox Vs Angels 4/4/2021 (ESPN Broadcast - Ohtani on the mound, batting second!!)

2 hours ago, Duren, Duren said:

The pitching really was clutch all game. Stupid defense screwed things up. Starting to feel confident that they can do the job good enough  collectively.

The best news is the defense isn’t normally like it was tonight.   The arms in the field seemed to have a flukey case of the Knoblauchs.

Interesting tidbit:

Griffen Canning was warming up in the bullpen in the bottom of the 9th inning.

He didn't make an appearance, but I wonder if that means if he's still slated to start on Tuesday?  I'm guessing so, but had he come in the game, I'm guessing either Bundy or CRod (!?!) would have started on Tuesday (though if it was CRod, it likely would have been a bullpen game).

17 minutes ago, cals said:

Was the bullpen that taxed? Why blow a starter in that situation?  It’s game 4 and they had only used 4 pitchers.

Maddon does weird shit.  I was one of the few who liked Scioscia’s bullpen usage or at least understood it.  I liked the way Ausmus tried to use his best arm in the most crucial situation.  Maddon, yea I don’t get it.  It’s game 4 and he used his closer to try to get 5 outs and had a starting warming up in the 9th.  Not to mention using his closer who’s historically bad in non save situations in a game where they were down a run.  Had arguably his worst bullpen arm close out the game, going four outs, in game three.  
In a season where starters aren’t going to give you much length for awhile, it seems like taxing your closer is a bad idea.  

33 minutes ago, cals said:

Was the bullpen that taxed? Why blow a starter in that situation?  It’s game 4 and they had only used 4 pitchers.

Yeah, I'm not really sure of the rationale there.  I am assuming they wanted to spare Mayers and prevent running him into the ground to start the year, which they did with him last season during their playoff charge, but it seems they still could have probably used Watson or Guerra.  Maybe they're being extra cautious with CRod and giving him multiple days off between appearances, which makes him kinda suboptimal as a reliever.

If we went into extra and Canning had pitched, it would have been rather strange, although again I guess they could have just asked Bundy to start on "normal" rest, and with the off day on Wednesday, no one else would really be impacted.

43 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Maddon does weird shit.  I was one of the few who liked Scioscia’s bullpen usage or at least understood it.  I liked the way Ausmus tried to use his best arm in the most crucial situation.  Maddon, yea I don’t get it.  It’s game 4 and he used his closer to try to get 5 outs and had a starting warming up in the 9th.  Not to mention using his closer who’s historically bad in non save situations in a game where they were down a run.  Had arguably his worst bullpen arm close out the game, going four outs, in game three.  
In a season where starters aren’t going to give you much length for awhile, it seems like taxing your closer is a bad idea.  

I really feel like there's a part of Maddon where he draws from deep, romantic notions of baseball - Player X might not be the best for this situation, but I have a feeling he's going to do something special here, so let's roll the dice.

Like Rojas and Rodriguez making the team. Like sticking with Ohtani in the jam. If they succeed, they're great stories that can really up a team's confidence and morale, and it's possible he's identified that this team has really lacked that and needed some confidence boosts.

When he was hired he kept referencing blending the head and the heart, and his reputation as a player's manager lends me to think he likes sometimes rolling the dice for 'magic' to happen...which if it works out, can go a loooong way to the chemistry they keep hyping.

But it will make no goddamn sense at times too.

3 hours ago, Warfarin said:

Interesting tidbit:

Griffen Canning was warming up in the bullpen in the bottom of the 9th inning.

He didn't make an appearance, but I wonder if that means if he's still slated to start on Tuesday?  I'm guessing so, but had he come in the game, I'm guessing either Bundy or CRod (!?!) would have started on Tuesday (though if it was CRod, it likely would have been a bullpen game).

Damn I forgot all about that guy due to Ohtanimania 

On 4/3/2021 at 8:19 PM, Bronson said:

They have the best bullpen in baseball. It's not even close.

On 4/4/2021 at 7:48 PM, Bronson said:

Great, now we have to face the White Sox bullpen for the rest of the game...

On 4/4/2021 at 7:53 PM, Lou said:

You really suck at this. 

Since then...

4.2 ip

6 er