• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: Angels vs. White Sox (4-3-2021)

42 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I think the Yankees and maybe even the Twins might be better, especially with Eloy out, but they're definitely one of the best teams, and we've matched up with them well, including two comeback victories.  Only 3 games, but certainly promising.

The ChiSox one caveat is defense.   If they are in a close game/series with a team that has strong pitching, the defense is a concern.  

It cost them on opening night, and again early last night.  They really don’t have any regulars who stand out defensively.   They slug and pitch.

Three games into this series:

ChiSox: 5 errors

Halos: 1 error

Edited by Angel Oracle

Trying to look up Guerra pitch sequencing from 2019-2020, to see if he was throwing that splitter then

This Guerra (2.2 innings, 0 runs, 2 baserunners, 3 Ks) is encouraging, only blip was giving up a hit to the first guy faced Friday night to allow two inherited runs to score.

Definately can use the late innings depth.

Watson had a nice debut, even got Mercedes to not reach base.

Loved that two of the three starters pitched 6 innings.   That plus bullpen depth is a great combo to have.

Edited by Angel Oracle

6 hours ago, Bronson said:

One thing I noticed watching J-Ups home run is that Raisel wasn’t in the bullpen.

So I guess there was no chance at all of him coming in to close it out.

I always thought relievers sat in the bullpen even if they weren’t going to pitch that day. Where was Raisel sitting? Did he even show up to the game?

Also, I’m really high so I’m like really overthinking this. 

He was at church(es).

10 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I don't know the inner workings of Maddon's mind, but my sense is that he was never imagined as a full-time player, just a placeholder until one of the prospects are ready. Right now only Lagares would take starts away from him, and I imagine he'll do so once or twice a week. Not sure if Rojas can play RF, but I think Walsh can, so we might see Walsh start a few games in RF when Pujols starts at 1B, especially if Walsh hits well.

I’m ok with 4-5 starts a week for two months, with Lagares getting the other 2 starts.

With JUp’s improved defense this spring, Fowler is the one issue there.

4 hours ago, Warfarin said:

I think what we'll likely see is Walsh probably gets roughly two thirds of the starts at 1B and Pujols gets the other 1/3.  

People were concerned over the first two games, but I think that was just mainly two separate events:

1.  Opening day and Albert getting the start out of respect

2.  A LHP on the mound in game 2.  I imagine Walsh will usually sit against LHP and Albert will start

I think Walsh will start against most RHP in general.  I believe he'll start again today, and given Ohtani will hit for himself, Pujols will likely sit again.

Since Ohtani will hit for himself, I would expect both Rojas and Pujols to get pinch-hitting opportunities today at some point, once Ohtani is out of the game and we need guys to hit for our pitchers.

If Walsh hits like he did yesterday, and he certainly looked good last night, he will get the majority of the playing time at 1B.  

As for RF, if Fowler looks bad offensively and defensively, there are numerous options to replace him (Lagares, Ward, probably Marsh/Adell later).  Maddon will give him time, though, to figure things out.

Yeah, I just hope Walsh plays in more than 100 games. I'd love for him to get 500 ABs. I don't think Ohtani will always hit when he pitches, I think tonight is definitely a Sunday Night Baseball thing. Part of the problem is, they are relegated to PHs once he leaves the game. And I think in the early going he will be somewhat limited in how much he can throw. Once he comes out, his bat is gone from the lineup. They're left with Suzuki, Pujols, and Rojas. Which isn't terrible, but those guys are now batting in the 2-hole. 

I'm interested to see where Ohtani bats tonight. I assume he'll stay near the top, but that means Pujols, Rojas, and Suzuki will bat in front of Trout. 

14 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

Yeah, I just hope Walsh plays in more than 100 games. I'd love for him to get 500 ABs. I don't think Ohtani will always hit when he pitches, I think tonight is definitely a Sunday Night Baseball thing. Part of the problem is, they are relegated to PHs once he leaves the game. And I think in the early going he will be somewhat limited in how much he can throw. Once he comes out, his bat is gone from the lineup. They're left with Suzuki, Pujols, and Rojas. Which isn't terrible, but those guys are now batting in the 2-hole. 

I'm interested to see where Ohtani bats tonight. I assume he'll stay near the top, but that means Pujols, Rojas, and Suzuki will bat in front of Trout. 

Yeah, I was thinking we would see Ohtani hit when he pitched a bit later in the season, as he proved he could go deeper into games.  This is a bit surprising, especially given the recent blister, but I suspect part of it is as you said - likely a Sunday Night Baseball thing, where they want to give him as much exposure as possible.

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Trying to look up Guerra pitch sequencing from 2019-2020, to see if he was throwing that splitter then

This Guerra (2.2 innings, 0 runs, 2 baserunners, 3 Ks) is encouraging, only blip was giving up a hit to the first guy faced Friday night to allow two inherited runs to score.

Definately can use the late innings depth.

Watson had a nice debut, even got Mercedes to not reach base.

Loved that two of the three starters pitched 6 innings.   That plus bullpen depth is a great combo to have.

Guerra, in recent years, has been somewhat of a "ROOGY," if you will - rather effective against RHH, less so against LHH.

With Grandal not hitting last night, their lineup was mainly either RHH or switch hitters who aren't terribly imposing from the LH side, so he was certainly nicely deployed in that situation.

I think against more balanced lineups, or lineups that have great LHHs, we'll see Guerra avoid those parts of the lineup, and instead be deployed against portions of the lineup that are more RHH-heavy.

All of these subtleties are part of the "game planning" process that I think will be much better this year than in year's past, thanks in part to the collaborative efforts of Minasian, Tamin, and Maddon.