Jump to content
  • Welcome to AngelsWin.com

    Join The Internet Home for Angels fans today! We're Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

  • AngelsWin.com's Charity of the Month

Gameday Thread: Angels vs. White Sox (4-3-2021)


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is a lot to like about how the Angels have played this series, last night included. Even after last night they came out focused and kept up the pressure, were solid defensively and did what they

First game Ive been able to sit and watch wince maybe 2019.... and only caught the last of it, with the win My old man caught a bit of it too.... well needed distraction.... Baseball can mak

The Angels are 2-0 in games that they win.

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Blarg said:

I understand stealing when you have a guy that is good at it. A Wills, Brock, Henderson, or Raines. You green light them and wreck havoc on the defense as they have to always play out of position to try and prevent the inevitable. Pitchers change their mechanics and focus, all sorts of offensive opportunities arise.

The problem with modern baseball is those good running guys are hobbled from the minors leagues up, told not to run because when you use metrics that includes every creaky knee catcher and sore footed 1st baseman the numbers say it doesn't pay off.

Instead of that use the numbers for the top 100 best runners in the game and see if your guy fits in that category and if he does turn him loose. Teach him how to read a pitcher, when to go in a count and enjoy the benefit of every time he makes it to first base it's like a delayed double. 

Speed on the base paths used to be a legitimate team philosophy going way back. 

It can intimidate pitchers, mess up infielders focus, and put pressure on outfielders to get to balls quickly and make perfect relay or throws to a base/ home plate.

There were even fringe roster players like Ron Washington whose only role basically was to pinch run. The seventies and eighties featured a bunch of tremendously fast players. Catchers like Bench, Carter, Fisk and others were worth so much more than their conventional stats just by their ability to limit the stolen base.  

It was a fun style for fans. If your team had speed you couldn't wait to see a speedster get on base. Fans even clamored for pinch runners! And if you faced a fast team you were scared of a walk or hbp to a fast but lousy hitting player. 

It also made managing different, and relief selection was sometimes influenced by how well a pitcher held runners on first. 

I miss that facet of the game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Duren, Duren said:

What a scrappy team! 

So Pujols and Upton have homered so far. Nice to get some production for the money. Great that Walsh looks like he'll smoothly claim a starting role as the transition gets closer.

Such solid pitching tonight. And encouraging that they can win when Trout has a rare poor game.

Ohtani homered also

Link to post
Share on other sites

Fowler is the easiest player to replace. Small sample size and all that, he was mainly signed as a warm body until one of Marsh or Adell is ready, and for Veteran Presence. Unfortunately with the late minor league start, we may not get to see Marsh or Adell tear it up and prove themselves until late May. Maybe if Fowler continues to stink, they call up Ward or Schebler.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Fowler is the easiest player to replace. Small sample size and all that, he was mainly signed as a warm body until one of Marsh or Adell is ready, and for Veteran Presence. Unfortunately with the late minor league start, we may not get to see Marsh or Adell tear it up and prove themselves until late May. Maybe if Fowler continues to stink, they call up Ward or Schebler.

Is Joe really going to play Fowler almost every game?   Even though he hasn’t hit or fielded well for the most part since some 4 years back?

Edited by Angel Oracle
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

I get that.   But not the idea of playing him almost every game, which seems to be the plan right now.

If we are using that logic then Shohei, Upton, Iglesias, Trout, Fletcher, Rendon will play 162 games this year, and Iglesias and Guerra will pitch in 108 games.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Is Joe really going to play Fowler almost every game?   Even though he hasn’t hit or fielded well for the most part since some 4 years back?

I don't know the inner workings of Maddon's mind, but my sense is that he was never imagined as a full-time player, just a placeholder until one of the prospects are ready. Right now only Lagares would take starts away from him, and I imagine he'll do so once or twice a week. Not sure if Rojas can play RF, but I think Walsh can, so we might see Walsh start a few games in RF when Pujols starts at 1B, especially if Walsh hits well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, eligrba4ever said:

Weird highlight from Twins game. Foul ricochet whacks umpire's head. Brewers' trainer comes out to help and then appears to collapse himself. He walked off with help and the umpire umped oh. But that guy collapsed. Can't be good.

Went to watch the bottom of the 9th of that game to see that.  That was beyond weird.  Maybe the CIA is testing their own version of the Cuban sonic weapon via the Brewers organist.

Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I noticed watching J-Ups home run is that Raisel wasn’t in the bullpen.

 

So I guess there was no chance at all of him coming in to close it out.

 

I always thought relievers sat in the bullpen even if they weren’t going to pitch that day. Where was Raisel sitting? Did he even show up to the game?
 

Also, I’m really high so I’m like really overthinking this. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Bronson said:

One thing I noticed watching J-Ups home run is that Raisel wasn’t in the bullpen.

 

So I guess there was no chance at all of him coming in to close it out.

 

I always thought relievers sat in the bullpen even if they weren’t going to pitch that day. Where was Raisel sitting? Did he even show up to the game?
 

Also, I’m really high so I’m like really overthinking this. 

The broadcast showed him kicking back in a lawn chair.  Sutton made some comment about how he looked like he was watching his kid's soccer game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Blarg said:

There is a lot to like about how the Angels have played this series, last night included. Even after last night they came out focused and kept up the pressure, were solid defensively and did what they needed to do late in the game, score and shut down the Sox. 

Yeah, agreed.  Last night's game would have been a typical loss for them last year - they either wouldn't have come back, or if they did, then their bullpen would have blown it in the 9th.

Only 3 games in, but this team "feels" different.  These victories are coming against one of the best teams in baseball and a team a number of people are picking to at least reach the WS.

Cobb looked very solid.  A lot of people thought Minasian was crazy for acquiring him, but his splitter looks better and certainly for the cost, he looks like a nice acquisition.

Still more work to do and areas to improve, but this has been an enjoyable opening series.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Fowler is the easiest player to replace. Small sample size and all that, he was mainly signed as a warm body until one of Marsh or Adell is ready, and for Veteran Presence. Unfortunately with the late minor league start, we may not get to see Marsh or Adell tear it up and prove themselves until late May. Maybe if Fowler continues to stink, they call up Ward or Schebler.

Yeah.  Fowler was basically a place holder, to keep the seat warm for one of our prospects.  But if Fowler does continue to play poorly, he could even be displaced by Lagares.

That said, I do feel they will give him up to 2 months to show something.  If he looks dreadful, they aren't going to keep him in RF all year.

As it is, we look pretty solid overall, and if our biggest concern is who plays RF and hits 9th, that's not too bad.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I don't know the inner workings of Maddon's mind, but my sense is that he was never imagined as a full-time player, just a placeholder until one of the prospects are ready. Right now only Lagares would take starts away from him, and I imagine he'll do so once or twice a week. Not sure if Rojas can play RF, but I think Walsh can, so we might see Walsh start a few games in RF when Pujols starts at 1B, especially if Walsh hits well.

I think Walsh is a bit better suited to left, but I am not that smart and could be way off. Either way if Albert is hitting (and I hate to say this) I think you get Walsh in at RF. Walsh really hit the ball hard all night. I’d also think at some point they consider bringing up Ward to play some RF. I didn’t think this at the beginning of spring, but I think at this point Ward is as good a fielder and a better hitter than Fowler. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

I think Walsh is a bit better suited to left, but I am not that smart and could be way off. Either way if Albert is hitting (and I hate to say this) I think you get Walsh in at RF. Walsh really hit the ball hard all night. I’d also think at some point they consider bringing up Ward to play some RF. I didn’t think this at the beginning of spring, but I think at this point Ward is as good a fielder and a better hitter than Fowler. 

I think what we'll likely see is Walsh probably gets roughly two thirds of the starts at 1B and Pujols gets the other 1/3.  

People were concerned over the first two games, but I think that was just mainly two separate events:

1.  Opening day and Albert getting the start out of respect

2.  A LHP on the mound in game 2.  I imagine Walsh will usually sit against LHP and Albert will start

I think Walsh will start against most RHP in general.  I believe he'll start again today, and given Ohtani will hit for himself, Pujols will likely sit again.

Since Ohtani will hit for himself, I would expect both Rojas and Pujols to get pinch-hitting opportunities today at some point, once Ohtani is out of the game and we need guys to hit for our pitchers.

If Walsh hits like he did yesterday, and he certainly looked good last night, he will get the majority of the playing time at 1B.  

As for RF, if Fowler looks bad offensively and defensively, there are numerous options to replace him (Lagares, Ward, probably Marsh/Adell later).  Maddon will give him time, though, to figure things out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been able to watch all 3 games so far and the Angels have been fun to watch.  Looking forward to the 2021 baseball journey. I'm cautiously optimistic. So many positives so far.  Really looking forward to seeing Ohtani pitch tonight.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Stradling said:

We just won a game against one of the favorites in the AL when we pitched Cobb, Watson and Guerra.  Maddon Maddoned well tonight. 

Personally, I think the White Sox are easily the best team in the AL. The fact that the Angels have played to their level and kept their offense in check in 2 of the 3 games is very encouraging. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, wopphil said:

Personally, I think the White Sox are easily the best team in the AL. The fact that the Angels have played to their level and kept their offense in check in 2 of the 3 games is very encouraging. 

I think the Yankees and maybe even the Twins might be better, especially with Eloy out, but they're definitely one of the best teams, and we've matched up with them well, including two comeback victories.  Only 3 games, but certainly promising.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...