• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: Angels vs. White Sox (4-3-2021)

26 minutes ago, Duren, Duren said:

What a scrappy team! 

So Pujols and Upton have homered so far. Nice to get some production for the money. Great that Walsh looks like he'll smoothly claim a starting role as the transition gets closer.

Such solid pitching tonight. And encouraging that they can win when Trout has a rare poor game.

Ohtani homered also

Fowler is the easiest player to replace. Small sample size and all that, he was mainly signed as a warm body until one of Marsh or Adell is ready, and for Veteran Presence. Unfortunately with the late minor league start, we may not get to see Marsh or Adell tear it up and prove themselves until late May. Maybe if Fowler continues to stink, they call up Ward or Schebler.

5 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Fowler is the easiest player to replace. Small sample size and all that, he was mainly signed as a warm body until one of Marsh or Adell is ready, and for Veteran Presence. Unfortunately with the late minor league start, we may not get to see Marsh or Adell tear it up and prove themselves until late May. Maybe if Fowler continues to stink, they call up Ward or Schebler.

Is Joe really going to play Fowler almost every game?   Even though he hasn’t hit or fielded well for the most part since some 4 years back?

Edited by Angel Oracle

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

I get that.   But not the idea of playing him almost every game, which seems to be the plan right now.

If we are using that logic then Shohei, Upton, Iglesias, Trout, Fletcher, Rendon will play 162 games this year, and Iglesias and Guerra will pitch in 108 games.  

25 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Is Joe really going to play Fowler almost every game?   Even though he hasn’t hit or fielded well for the most part since some 4 years back?

I don't know the inner workings of Maddon's mind, but my sense is that he was never imagined as a full-time player, just a placeholder until one of the prospects are ready. Right now only Lagares would take starts away from him, and I imagine he'll do so once or twice a week. Not sure if Rojas can play RF, but I think Walsh can, so we might see Walsh start a few games in RF when Pujols starts at 1B, especially if Walsh hits well.

2 hours ago, eligrba4ever said:

Weird highlight from Twins game. Foul ricochet whacks umpire's head. Brewers' trainer comes out to help and then appears to collapse himself. He walked off with help and the umpire umped oh. But that guy collapsed. Can't be good.

Went to watch the bottom of the 9th of that game to see that.  That was beyond weird.  Maybe the CIA is testing their own version of the Cuban sonic weapon via the Brewers organist.

One thing I noticed watching J-Ups home run is that Raisel wasn’t in the bullpen.

So I guess there was no chance at all of him coming in to close it out.

I always thought relievers sat in the bullpen even if they weren’t going to pitch that day. Where was Raisel sitting? Did he even show up to the game?

Also, I’m really high so I’m like really overthinking this. 

28 minutes ago, Bronson said:

One thing I noticed watching J-Ups home run is that Raisel wasn’t in the bullpen.

So I guess there was no chance at all of him coming in to close it out.

I always thought relievers sat in the bullpen even if they weren’t going to pitch that day. Where was Raisel sitting? Did he even show up to the game?

Also, I’m really high so I’m like really overthinking this. 

The broadcast showed him kicking back in a lawn chair.  Sutton made some comment about how he looked like he was watching his kid's soccer game.

8 hours ago, Blarg said:

There is a lot to like about how the Angels have played this series, last night included. Even after last night they came out focused and kept up the pressure, were solid defensively and did what they needed to do late in the game, score and shut down the Sox. 

Yeah, agreed.  Last night's game would have been a typical loss for them last year - they either wouldn't have come back, or if they did, then their bullpen would have blown it in the 9th.

Only 3 games in, but this team "feels" different.  These victories are coming against one of the best teams in baseball and a team a number of people are picking to at least reach the WS.

Cobb looked very solid.  A lot of people thought Minasian was crazy for acquiring him, but his splitter looks better and certainly for the cost, he looks like a nice acquisition.

Still more work to do and areas to improve, but this has been an enjoyable opening series.

8 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Yeah.  Fowler was basically a place holder, to keep the seat warm for one of our prospects.  But if Fowler does continue to play poorly, he could even be displaced by Lagares.

That said, I do feel they will give him up to 2 months to show something.  If he looks dreadful, they aren't going to keep him in RF all year.

As it is, we look pretty solid overall, and if our biggest concern is who plays RF and hits 9th, that's not too bad.

7 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I don't know the inner workings of Maddon's mind, but my sense is that he was never imagined as a full-time player, just a placeholder until one of the prospects are ready. Right now only Lagares would take starts away from him, and I imagine he'll do so once or twice a week. Not sure if Rojas can play RF, but I think Walsh can, so we might see Walsh start a few games in RF when Pujols starts at 1B, especially if Walsh hits well.

I think Walsh is a bit better suited to left, but I am not that smart and could be way off. Either way if Albert is hitting (and I hate to say this) I think you get Walsh in at RF. Walsh really hit the ball hard all night. I’d also think at some point they consider bringing up Ward to play some RF. I didn’t think this at the beginning of spring, but I think at this point Ward is as good a fielder and a better hitter than Fowler. 

7 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

I think Walsh is a bit better suited to left, but I am not that smart and could be way off. Either way if Albert is hitting (and I hate to say this) I think you get Walsh in at RF. Walsh really hit the ball hard all night. I’d also think at some point they consider bringing up Ward to play some RF. I didn’t think this at the beginning of spring, but I think at this point Ward is as good a fielder and a better hitter than Fowler. 

I think what we'll likely see is Walsh probably gets roughly two thirds of the starts at 1B and Pujols gets the other 1/3.  

People were concerned over the first two games, but I think that was just mainly two separate events:

1.  Opening day and Albert getting the start out of respect

2.  A LHP on the mound in game 2.  I imagine Walsh will usually sit against LHP and Albert will start

I think Walsh will start against most RHP in general.  I believe he'll start again today, and given Ohtani will hit for himself, Pujols will likely sit again.

Since Ohtani will hit for himself, I would expect both Rojas and Pujols to get pinch-hitting opportunities today at some point, once Ohtani is out of the game and we need guys to hit for our pitchers.

If Walsh hits like he did yesterday, and he certainly looked good last night, he will get the majority of the playing time at 1B.  

As for RF, if Fowler looks bad offensively and defensively, there are numerous options to replace him (Lagares, Ward, probably Marsh/Adell later).  Maddon will give him time, though, to figure things out.

22 minutes ago, Stradling said:

We just won a game against one of the favorites in the AL when we pitched Cobb, Watson and Guerra.  Maddon Maddoned well tonight. 

Personally, I think the White Sox are easily the best team in the AL. The fact that the Angels have played to their level and kept their offense in check in 2 of the 3 games is very encouraging. 

6 minutes ago, wopphil said:

Personally, I think the White Sox are easily the best team in the AL. The fact that the Angels have played to their level and kept their offense in check in 2 of the 3 games is very encouraging. 

I think the Yankees and maybe even the Twins might be better, especially with Eloy out, but they're definitely one of the best teams, and we've matched up with them well, including two comeback victories.  Only 3 games, but certainly promising.

9 hours ago, Stradling said:

Maybe we give Fowler more than 3 games?  

Fowler reminds me of Matt Joyce....maybe not a great comparison but both were not bad, just simply inadequate in all aspects of the game.