• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: Angels vs. White Sox (4-3-2021)

Just now, Blarg said:

This is what I was hoping for. Entertaining baseball. The way they are playing is more fun to watch with more action on the field. Fuck station to station metrics baseball. 

As much as I love analytics I hate that boring ass shit with a passion.   I understand not stealing, but the station to station BS is awful.

Just now, Inside Pitch said:

As much as I love analytics I hate that boring ass shit with a passion.   I understand not stealing, but the station to station BS is awful.

I understand stealing when you have a guy that is good at it. A Wills, Brock, Henderson, or Raines. You green light them and wreck havoc on the defense as they have to always play out of position to try and prevent the inevitable. Pitchers change their mechanics and focus, all sorts of offensive opportunities arise.

The problem with modern baseball is those good running guys are hobbled from the minors leagues up, told not to run because when you use metrics that includes every creaky knee catcher and sore footed 1st baseman the numbers say it doesn't pay off.

Instead of that use the numbers for the top 100 best runners in the game and see if your guy fits in that category and if he does turn him loose. Teach him how to read a pitcher, when to go in a count and enjoy the benefit of every time he makes it to first base it's like a delayed double. 

5 minutes ago, Duren, Duren said:

What a scrappy team! 

So Pujols and Upton have homered so far. Nice to get some production for the money. Great that Walsh looks like he'll smoothly claim a starting role as the transition gets closer.

Such solid pitching tonight. And encouraging that they can win when Trout has a rare poor game.

That to me is the big takeaway from this game. Usually if Trout is slumping the team slumps but we have real hitters now to back Trout up when he does slump and today was a prime example of that.

12 hours ago, Blarg said:

I understand stealing when you have a guy that is good at it. A Wills, Brock, Henderson, or Raines. You green light them and wreck havoc on the defense as they have to always play out of position to try and prevent the inevitable. Pitchers change their mechanics and focus, all sorts of offensive opportunities arise.

The problem with modern baseball is those good running guys are hobbled from the minors leagues up, told not to run because when you use metrics that includes every creaky knee catcher and sore footed 1st baseman the numbers say it doesn't pay off.

Instead of that use the numbers for the top 100 best runners in the game and see if your guy fits in that category and if he does turn him loose. Teach him how to read a pitcher, when to go in a count and enjoy the benefit of every time he makes it to first base it's like a delayed double. 

Speed on the base paths used to be a legitimate team philosophy going way back. 

It can intimidate pitchers, mess up infielders focus, and put pressure on outfielders to get to balls quickly and make perfect relay or throws to a base/ home plate.

There were even fringe roster players like Ron Washington whose only role basically was to pinch run. The seventies and eighties featured a bunch of tremendously fast players. Catchers like Bench, Carter, Fisk and others were worth so much more than their conventional stats just by their ability to limit the stolen base.  

It was a fun style for fans. If your team had speed you couldn't wait to see a speedster get on base. Fans even clamored for pinch runners! And if you faced a fast team you were scared of a walk or hbp to a fast but lousy hitting player. 

It also made managing different, and relief selection was sometimes influenced by how well a pitcher held runners on first. 

I miss that facet of the game.