• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels reliever Ty Buttrey says he ‘lost the drive’ to continue MLB career

Ty Buttrey said that he accomplished what he wanted when he reached the major leagues, and it was now time to work toward something else.

Buttrey walked away from his big-league career this week, when he declined an assignment to the Angels’ alternate sign and was placed on the restricted list.

Buttrey, 28, had pitched parts of three seasons with the Angels, at times as their best reliever. He explained in an Instagram post published Saturday that he no longer felt the drive needed to play in the big leagues.

He said all along his motivation was to prove the skeptics in his life wrong and make the major leagues. Once he did that, he said it was difficult for him to keep pushing himself.

“Unfortunately, money and proving people wrong are short-term motivators, especially when you never actually loved the game you dedicated the last 24 years of your life to,” Buttrey wrote. “I dreaded every aspect of the process to become the best, but who the hell throws away 24 years of work? I want to finally be known as Just Ty, not Ty the Baseball Player.

“I completely lost the drive to continue doing something I didn’t love because, in my mind, I already accomplished it. It was never my dream to make it to the Hall of Fame, win a World Series or become an All-Star. In my mind, I accomplished what I wanted, to prove people wrong and accomplish something extremely hard.”

Buttrey seemed to be a lock to be one of the key relievers in the Angels’ bullpen, based on the potential he’d shown since reaching the big leagues in August 2018. However, he struggled for much of the time since the middle of the 2019 season, and this spring he had trouble commanding his fastball, which is why the Angels sent him down last weekend.

By rule, Buttrey had a few days to report, and he took that time to make the decision to walk away from baseball.

“I’m going to miss the fans more than I’m going to miss the game,” Buttrey wrote. “I want to thank everyone who has supported my wife and I throughout my entire career and the Angels organization for believing in me and giving me the opportunity.”

View the full article

8 minutes ago, Stradling said:

What do you love more, your job or the money it provides? 

The money all day. While it’s cool to see the  in’s and outs (pun intended) of California’s public entity sector, listening to insurance companies haggle over values of human beings who are killed or injured isn’t what gets me out of bed in the morning. I know way too much about the value of one persons life vs another. The paycheck and what it provides (and the fact that I’m good at it) are what keep this ball moving. 

42 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

The money all day. While it’s cool to see the  in’s and outs (pun intended) of California’s public entity sector, listening to insurance companies haggle over values of human beings who are killed or injured isn’t what gets me out of bed in the morning. I know way too much about the value of one persons life vs another. The paycheck and what it provides (and the fact that I’m good at it) are what keep this ball moving. 

Exactly.  I didn't like having to do grunt work at the OC Wastewater Treatment Plant in the '70's, but it paid twice the minimum wage (which was $2.50 per hour) and went a long way towards paying my CSUF tuition ($90 per semester).  I bet over 95 percent of us are working for the paycheck and there's true honor in that!

LOL - I love the way people are triggered by this guy writing honestly.

It was clear as day Josh Hamilton could not give a single F about playing baseball by the time he was with the Angels.  It showed. And if someone wrote it, they were lectured: "You can never get to the majors without truly loving the game".  

Good for Buttrey.  If he is miserable, move on.

And I doubt he is going to be working at Home Depot in a few years.

2 hours ago, yk9001 said:

LOL - I love the way people are triggered by this guy writing honestly.

It was clear as day Josh Hamilton could not give a single F about playing baseball by the time he was with the Angels.  It showed. And if someone wrote it, they were lectured: "You can never get to the majors without truly loving the game".  

Good for Buttrey.  If he is miserable, move on.

And I doubt he is going to be working at Home Depot in a few years.

His misery comes from not making the Opening Day roster.

Just now, Stradling said:

Except that isn’t what happened according to Maddon. 

He's just covering for one of his boys. 

Do you honestly think that Buttrey would have quit if he had made the Opening Day roster?

3 hours ago, Lou said:

His misery comes from not making the Opening Day roster.

That doesn't change my opinion at all. Every single person who has ever changed jobs voluntarily, or decided to change profession, or retire - reached a breaking point where they said 'that's enough'.

I think its completely logical and reasonable to assume his breaking point was having to go the Alternate Training site.

1 minute ago, yk9001 said:

That doesn't change my opinion at all. Every single person who has ever changed jobs voluntarily, or decided to change profession, or retire - reached a breaking point where they said 'that's enough'.

I think its completely logical and reasonable to assume his breaking point was having to go the Alternate Training site.

So you agree that he quit because he got demoted.