• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels’ Ty Buttrey on restricted list after choosing not to report to alternate site

ANAHEIM — Ty Buttrey decided not to report to the Angels’ alternate site, instead choosing to “walk away from the game for right now,” according to Manager Joe Maddon.

The right-hander was placed on the restricted list, and Maddon said he doesn’t know if or when Buttrey will choose to return to the game. If he does choose to return, Maddon said it would be an organizational decision what to do.

“Of course you would be there for the player,” Maddon said. “It comes back to his decision and what he wants to do with his career and his life in general. I would believe that we would be open, but I don’t know when and where that would happen.”

Neither Buttrey nor his agent responded to messages on Friday afternoon.

Maddon said he had not communicated with Buttrey since the decision was made, so he was unaware of the circumstances.

“There’s a lot of times when you get that age you become confused by different things, and you choose different routes, and maybe something’s more important to him right now,” Maddon said. “I don’t know. For us, it always seems to be the right conclusion is to pursue a major league career. Or maybe he just wants to pursue something else. So it’s one of those things that’s up to the individual. I respect it. I respect him.”

Last weekend the Angels optioned Buttrey, which was something of a surprise move because he had been one of the Angels’ most frequently deployed relievers over the previous two seasons. Buttrey had struggled at times with his fastball command in spring training, though.

Maddon said when he was delivering the news to Buttrey he didn’t get a hint that Buttrey would choose not to report to the alternate training site.

“When he left the office there was no indicator at all that this would be something he would choose to do,” Maddon said. “Anything that happened after that I have not been a part of the conversation.”

Maddon said he hoped to talk to Buttrey soon.

“There’s a lot to like about this guy, both as a person and a player,” Maddon said, “so we’ll see what happens and try to be there for an ear to him too.”

UPTON’S GLOVE

Although one of the reasons the Angels signed Juan Lagares was to have a late-inning defensive replacement, he was conspicuous by his absence in the ninth inning of a one-run game on Thursday.

Maddon had replaced Justin Upton in left field late in games last season, but he said for now that Upton is looking good enough – at the plate and in the field – so he wants to show confidence in him.

“For right now the guy is playing at a really high level, and I don’t want to nick that confidence or that trust,” Maddon said. “We’ll see how it plays out. But right now, man, he looks good.”

Maddon pointed out that Upton did a good job getting to a couple of balls down the left field line earlier in the game. He has also been swinging the bat well and running the bases well since spring training.

“That was some pretty good baseball he played last night,” Maddon said. “I want to stay out of the way as much as possible, and only interfere when I feel it’s necessary.”

WATSON’S TRIP

Tony Watson was still getting his feet on the ground after a whirlwind weekend. The Philadelphia Phillies released Watson last Friday and on Monday he signed a major league deal with the Angels. On Tuesday he was in an Angels uniform.

Watson said Friday it was a challenging spring for him because he was on a minor-league deal and had to perform right away in games, as opposed to other years when he’s known he had a secure spot.

“This year was completely different,” he said. “I went there knowing I had to make the team, that March results really mattered. And a few outings didn’t go my way.”

Watson gave up four earned runs in five innings with the Phillies. The Angels are hoping they got the pitcher who has a career 2.80 ERA, including a 2.50 mark last year with the San Francisco Giants.

View the full article