• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Scioscia's loyalty to veterans

Maybe the org felt it was more important to handle the Weaver matter with a sense that player relations matter. You know, in the event we could possible sign our best pitcher in a decade to a long term contract.   

Sure.  Like how Stoneman stonewalled and boned Boras and Weave in the 12 months after his draft selection*.  Or how after an all-universe season, Trout got a $25k raise.*

Besides, you're forgetting about the 'player relations' that comes with sending your best pitcher down to the minors.

And I am going by memory here, but I am almost positive Sosh said lil Weave 'needed more seasoning'.

*I'm not arguing either of those moves were wrong.  Just that the org has no problem being indelicate with young players in other ways.

Maybe the org felt it was more important to handle the Weaver matter with a sense that player relations matter. You know, in the event we could possible sign our best pitcher in a decade to a long term contract.  

So...they sent him down in favor of his older brother?

Seeming as how Weaver gave us a mega home town discount, this entire argument seems silly.

I don't know if I agree with Jim's point on this, but at least he has a logical argument and stated it well.  Unlike 95% of aw posts in the main forum.

(including mine)

Most likely two starts were lost. Whoa, there goes the season.

Sure.  Like how Stoneman stonewalled and boned Boras and Weave in the 12 months after his draft selection*.  Or how after an all-universe season, Trout got a $25k raise.*

Besides, you're forgetting about the 'player relations' that comes with sending your best pitcher down to the minors.

And I am going by memory here, but I am almost positive Sosh said lil Weave 'needed more seasoning'.

*I'm not arguing either of those moves were wrong.  Just that the org has no problem being indelicate with young players in other ways.

Now I'm confused as to which side of the move you're on. Yes, I'm sure the org will handle some players better than others, some very poorly. However, in the case of Weaver they did a fine job. 

I too am not defending the many head scratching moves the Angels org have made over the years, the most recent being the Williams/Blanton decision. My two cents is on how they handled the Weaver situation.  

So...they sent him down in favor of his older brother?

No. We now know it was the organizations intent to cut ties with Jeff, and not knowing at the time exactly how it was going to go down, doing it in front of his brother seems like very dumb idea. Why heap a possible load of crap on the one bright spot you are about to bring up? Why? Possibly two more wins? 

The immortal Kevin Greg, Hector Carrasco and Esteban Yan were in the bullpen when Lil Weave was sent down.

Yan was sporting a 6.21 era when Jered was sent down.

I remember seeing Yan appear in a game in the late '90s early in my Angel fandom and thinking to myself, "I can't believe this guy is still wearing a major league uniform."

Mathis is top ranked, but Abreu is a close second.  Scioscia was marching this bum out nearly every day hitting third when it was clear to even the Abreu fan club (both of them) he was mush at the plate.  Embarrassing.  Dipoto finally had enough and sent him packing.  Hamilton is doing a pretty good Abreu impression against LHP. 

Haven't read through this but remember when Quinlan was used a bunch in '09 early to start the season because Morales "couldn't hit" lefties?

That .800 OPS was just dreadful wasn't it Mike? Had to get Quinlan as many starts as possible, I guess. 

Morales vs. left-handers this year (92 plate appearances):

.349/.413/.554

.967 OPS

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=moralke01&year=2013&t=b#plato