• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Scioscia's loyalty to veterans

Jered was sent down because he had options and Colon had come off the DL. The Angels bullpen was the best it ever was so there was no place to hide Jeff. If you guys recall the Angels traded Jeff but not until Jered was not in the clubhouse sparing the brothers the embarrassment.

You are proving their point.

Jered was sent down because he had options and Colon had come off the DL. The Angels bullpen was the best it ever was so there was no place to hide Jeff. If you guys recall the Angels traded Jeff but not until Jered was not in the clubhouse sparing the brothers the embarrassment.

If not a pitcher then an everyday player needed to go down....not a young pitcher who was unhittable, to spare the feelings of his brother and a washed up (at least before he went to his pharmacist) Colon....the couple of starts Jered lost could have cost us the pennant in a close race...no excuse for it....and I am not for firing Scioscia, I appreciate his body of work....but I can't forgive that one...

They had a full rotation and bullpen, a young pitcher needs to pitch not sit on a bench waiting for an inning here and there. Jered got in his time in Salt Lake then was promoted back into the rotation when there was a spot. It had nothing to do with veteran loyalty as much as trying to get value out of the roster they were paying for.

If not a pitcher then an everyday player needed to go down....not a young pitcher who was unhittable, to spare the feelings of his brother and a washed up (at least before he went to his pharmacist) Colon....the couple of starts Jered lost could have cost us the pennant in a close race...no excuse for it....and I am not for firing Scioscia, I appreciate his body of work....but I can't forgive that one...

They had a full rotation and bullpen, a young pitcher needs to pitch not sit on a bench waiting for an inning here and there. Jered got in his time in Salt Lake then was promoted back into the rotation when there was a spot. It had nothing to do with veteran loyalty as much as trying to get value out of the roster they were paying for.

You are totally missing the point.....it may have kept Jered "warm" to pitch at SLC but what if we had lost the pennant the couple of games that he would have started with the Angels, when we instead ran an ineffective Jeff out to the mound...."trying to get value of the roster they were paying for" wouldn't have excused losing the pennant while your best starter was staying warm at SLC....

The Angels did miss the playoffs in 2006. Both Saunders and Weaver got to pitch because Jeff was traded and Colon went back to the DL.

Yes, we did miss the playoffs, hence my original point....not sure what you mean beyond that though??....I do remember Colon went back on the DL but Jeff wasn't traded for a couple more starts and Jered made at least one (maybe 2) starts at SLC....Again, I am still a Scioscia guy, not intending to rag on him for everything, as some do here....I just thought the whole Jered/Jeff deal was the worst example of one of Scioscia's failings---he does stick with veteran guys too long at times....not all on him, the front office has a lot to do with it also....

The immortal Kevin Greg, Hector Carrasco and Esteban Yan were in the bullpen when Lil Weave was sent down.

Yan was sporting a 6.21 era when Jered was sent down.

You didn't mention Bootcheck, Moseley, or Bulger with his 16.20 era. So what's your point? Are you suggesting we should have put Jered Weaver in the bullpen while we actively shopped his brother?

Could it be possible the org was pursuing takers for Jeff, and just needed a little time to make it happen? Jeff and $cash$ were gone July 5th.

I am suggesting you do not send down the hottest pitcher in the majors "because he had options left".

Yan was designated for assignment on May 26 to make room for Jered Weaver. Yan wasn’t in the bullpen (as you claim) when Weaver was sent down June 17 to make room for Colon.

A mere 13 days later on June 30, Jeff was designated for assignment while Jered was being reactivated.

I’m suggesting that both you and DMVol are over reacting about a series of moves that saw Jered Weaver being sent down for a total of thirteen days while the org found a way to get rid of the brother.

edit; Sorry, fan since79, I meant DMVol

So in a close playoff race, they gave 3 MORE starts to a terrible veteran instead of the hot prospect who was pitching really well, because they didn't want to make the veteran feel bad or whatever by sending him to the bullpen in favor of a better pitcher.

I think that's a thing to care about.

I’m suggesting that both you and the OP are over reacting about a series of moves that saw Jered Weaver being sent down for a total of thirteen days while the org found a way to get rid of the brother.

That's the Angel way.  Your best pitcher is sent back to the minors, but what the hell - its only 13 days.  You wouldn't want either brother to be uncomfortable, for pete's sake.

Turn the page. 

Tip the cap. 

It's early. 

Sleep like a baby. 

It is what it is. 

Too blessed to be stressed.

I don't live day to day by those results, which allows me to live a less stressful life.

The only one we're missing is 'don't worry, be happy'.

So in a close playoff race, they gave 3 MORE starts to a terrible veteran instead of the hot prospect who was pitching really well, because they didn't want to make the veteran feel bad or whatever by sending him to the bullpen in favor of a better pitcher.

I think that's a thing to care about.

Sure, if you're micromanaging for fantasy stats some seven years later.

Close playoff race in June? 3 starts?

When you dump these veterans it presumes you have players in the system to replace them --- we do not.

They kept one of the five worst era's in the AL in the rotation over a pitcher with a top 5 starting ERA in the AL. They had a good replacement and they didn't go with it. Any way you describe it, it is the wrong decision. You can argue that it makes the bullpen weaker but with Blanton in the rotation it is an automatic loss. So if we want to be a winning team, it makes so the other pitchers have to win 3 out of 4 games.

Blanton does not deserve a spot on a team who has desires to be a winning team.

They kept one of the five worst era's in the AL in the rotation over a pitcher with a top 5 starting ERA in the AL. They had a good replacement and they didn't go with it. Any way you describe it, it is the wrong decision. You can argue that it makes the bullpen weaker but with Blanton in the rotation it is an automatic loss. So if we want to be a winning team, it makes so the other pitchers have to win 3 out of 4 games.

Blanton does not deserve a spot on a team who has desires to be a winning team.

By keeping Jerome in the bullpen, we have a very strong reliever to come in and mop up when the Angels fall behind by three runs in extra innings, like last week against the Cubs.  How many teams can boast that?

That's the Angel way.  Your best pitcher is sent back to the minors, but what the hell - its only 13 days.  You wouldn't want either brother to be uncomfortable, for pete's sake.

Turn the page. 

Tip the cap. 

It's early. 

Sleep like a baby. 

It is what it is. 

Too blessed to be stressed.

I don't live day to day by those results, which allows me to live a less stressful life.

The only one we're missing is 'don't worry, be happy'.

Maybe the org felt it was more important to handle the Weaver matter with a sense that player relations matter. You know, in the event we could possible sign our best pitcher in a decade to a long term contract.   

Most likely two starts were lost. Whoa, there goes the season.

By keeping Jerome in the bullpen, we have a very strong reliever to come in and mop up when the Angels fall behind by three runs in extra innings, like last week against the Cubs.  How many teams can boast that?

Don't forget the invaluable work he'll do starting in the 4th inning after Blanton departs having allowed 8 runs.