• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Matt Vasgersian's first Angels broadcast will be next Saturday

Am I the only one that is a little confused by this entire situation? Is the plan for Vasgersian to be a full-time Angels broadcaster next season or is this a one-season thing? And if he is full-time will it be a three-man booth with Sutton and Gubie? Sutton might as well have been the only broadcasting hire if Vasgersian is here only for a single season.

21 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

Am I the only one that is a little confused by this entire situation? Is the plan for Vasgersian to be a full-time Angels broadcaster next season or is this a one-season thing? And if he is full-time will it be a three-man booth with Sutton and Gubie? Sutton might as well have been the only broadcasting hire if Vasgersian is here only for a single season.

@Jeff Fletcher

2 hours ago, rafibomb said:

Nope, I'm in the same boat as you.  I have no idea what the plan is at this point.  But I agree that it seems better to just have Sutton handle it full-time if Vasgersian is just going to be dipping in and out randomly this year--unless Vasgersian is signed to a longer-term deal.

10 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Sutton said in an interview it was gonna get split roughly 50-50. My impression was that he was expecting things to be similar over the next few seasons. Plans can change, though. I also heard before that Vasgersian was supposed to be doing Opening Day, so...

Yeah, I heard the Opening Day thing, too.  And I also read about the 50/50 thing.  I like Vasgersian, but if it's really going to be 50/50 or less, I'd much rather just have Sutton take it on full-time to provide some consistency.

On 4/2/2021 at 6:15 PM, jsnpritchett said:

Yeah, I heard the Opening Day thing, too.  And I also read about the 50/50 thing.  I like Vasgersian, but if it's really going to be 50/50 or less, I'd much rather just have Sutton take it on full-time to provide some consistency.

Yeah I'm for having one voice of the Angels not three. 

Also, I really hope the Angels minimize Jose Mota's in-game commentary. I love the guy personally but man he's tough to listen to.

I seem to recall the day they announced Vasgersian as an Angels play-by-play TV announcer, along with Duron Sutton, the executive making the announcement suggested MV wasn't going to be around a lot and that it would not be a surprise if Sutton called more games. Well, MV hasn't been around -- period  -- until next weekend and Sutton has been THE TV guy.

The Angels have apparently bought a portion of Matt's time and share him with national outlets. Duron is, let's say, Announcer 1B.

29 minutes ago, eligrba4ever said:

I seem to recall the day they announced Vasgersian as an Angels play-by-play TV announcer, along with Duron Sutton, the executive making the announcement suggested MV wasn't going to be around a lot and that it would not be a surprise if Sutton called more games. Well, MV hasn't been around -- period  -- until next weekend and Sutton has been THE TV guy.

The Angels have apparently bought a portion of Matt's time and share him with national outlets. Duron is, let's say, Announcer 1B.

*Daron.  Maybe you're confusing him with your old teammate, Ryne Duren...

I find myself muting the sound regularly these first two games.  Seems like there is just a constant stream of chatter.  Do I really need to know how fast the exit velocity was? How fast Trout ran to first? Some inside joke between Mota and Gubi about something that happened in Spring Training?  There has to be a story between every pitch.

7 minutes ago, Slegnaac said:

I find myself muting the sound regularly these first two games.  Seems like there is just a constant stream of chatter.  Do I really need to know how fast the exit velocity was? How fast Trout ran to first? Some inside joke between Mota and Gubi about something that happened in Spring Training?  There has to be a story between every pitch.

Yeah, I've felt that way a bit also. Sometimes it feels like they're talking so much they forget to actually call the game.

Good news is if the tv guys talk over pitches, you can still watch the pitch, because it’s on tv.  I wasn’t able to watch the game last night but I’ll be watching tonight.  I’m looking forward to hearing their take on the game and seeing if it’s similar to my own.  

20 hours ago, eligrba4ever said:

Bring back Don Wells

3 hours ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Hopefully Matty V comes in soon. IMO Sutton is a little tough to listen to. 

I like Sutton. I'm not sure I like him as a play by play guy. Maybe I just need to get used to him. 

On the other hand, I don't especially dislike his work so far, and there are a lot worse options out there, so I'm cool with him being the guy for now. 

On 4/3/2021 at 7:04 AM, Stradling said:

Good news is if the tv guys talk over pitches, you can still watch the pitch, because it’s on tv.  I wasn’t able to watch the game last night but I’ll be watching tonight.  I’m looking forward to hearing their take on the game and seeing if it’s similar to my own.  

So what did you think?

2 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

So what did you think?

Honestly, I had no issues with him calling the game last night.  I just wonder if I am not as critical as others.  This may sound arrogant, but after watching the game for 40 plus years, I don’t really expect the announcer to teach me something about the game I don’t know.  Now the color commentator, that is different.  

I like Sutton, but can do without all the analytics talk all the time. Like I get it, exit velocity is important with spin rate and other stuff, but not after every at bat. He also sucks up to Gubi a lot but it could be him just trying to build rapport.

I would be totally ok if Sutton was the FT guy and MV was the occasional guy. Sutton is a homer but he has given a lot of shine to the White Sox which I appreciate in a good PbP guy. I don't get the sense that Sutton will be as critical when the Angels are playing poorly as @VictorRojas always was (Which I absolutely loved about Victor).

I think @Chuckster70 and @Dave Saltzer hit the nail on the head with what we would see from Sutton in the booth.

Ironically Mota doesn't bother me as the "lets go to our 3rd guy" I think that is the only role I can somewhat tolerate him in even though he is still awful.

I still miss Victor quite a bit, but I think Sutton has fit in pretty well given he has been out of PbP at the MLB level for about 10 years I think?