• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Perry's Off-Season Report Card

16 hours ago, Second Base said:

Grades are all relative. I'm sure if the Angels blew their wad on Bauer, everyone would love the off-season and give Minasian an A across the board. 

I'd say that Minasian came in with a plan and executed it. Whatever grade you want to say that is, is your discretion. 

1. He wanted to build his front office and a rapport with the coaching staff.

2. With the budget provided, he wanted to make improvements across the board, and not simply in one area. 

3. He didn't want to deplete the farm system. No sacrificing their future for the present.

4. Minasian wanted to spend money, without gambling the future of the organization on large contacts. He used smaller contacts to fit current needs. Allow money to come off the books, prospects to develop and then spend available funds to meet future needs. Financial sustainability, not spending money you don't have.

5. Whatever acquisitions he brought in, they needed to fit the culture Maddon is creating.

And again he did all that. The front office has some really intelligent men analyzing everything right now. Minasian added Shohei, Cobb and Quintana, without sacrificing Barria, Sandoval, Rodriguez or Detmers. He put Iglesias at SS and Fowler in RF for next to nothing. And the bullpen has been completely rebuilt. Do we have any holdovers from last year vin key roles? Maybe Mayers, that's it. 

Mission Accomplished. 

Now let's see if it works.

I think his sums it up very nicely.  Minasian was in a bit of a tough spot.  He was told to "go for it" but to also do so within the confines of a fairly tight budget with a number of holes to fill.  The key thing to me is the third item you listed.  He could have easily swung a trade for a bigger name by using names like Adell, Marsh, CRod, Canning, etc, but he didn't, because he likely knows the key to the team's long-term success is its farm system.  Most publications still rank our farm as a bottom half system.  Fair or not, we don't have a super strong farm at this point like the Rays, Padres, Dodgers, etc, so we have to keep building it all the while trying to stay competitive.

Another key thing is Minasian didn't lock himself into any long-term deals, which should help enable him to maintain flexibility moving forward, especially once clarity is gained this coming offseason in terms of what the luxury tax will be (if there is one), etc.

With Pujols coming off the books, and then Upton the year after, I would expect Minasian to take some bigger swings at FA names, all the while aggressively drafting and developing our farm system.

The interesting fact is that ALL 13 acquisitions on the 26 man roster are FAs after this season.

Is that a concern?

Love the Tamin addition, hopefully more scouts are hired in the next several months to go with the improved FO.

I give the off-season a B- based on all of the above.

Edited by Angel Oracle

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

The interesting fact is that ALL 13 acquisitions on the 26 man roster are FAs after this season.

Is that a concern?

Love the Tamin addition, hopefully more scouts are hired in the next several months to go with the improved FO.

I'm not too concerned by this.  In a lot of ways, having players "playing for contracts," so to speak, should hopefully help get more out of them than perhaps players who have already secured a monster contract.  It doesn't always work out that way, but certainly a player who is due for free agency has a vested interest in performing as well as possible to help secure a better deal.

It also enables more flexibility moving forward.  We already have two monster contracts to two guys (Trout, Rendon), and are finishing up monster deals for two others (Pujols, Upton).  

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Is that a concern?

I like it.   

He filled the holes he needed to and gave himself and his front office team enough time to get familiar with the system and the team's needs as they see them

Ideally they would have extended or signed a SP for longer than a year but whatever..

• 1 month later...

Cobb, Cishek, R. Iglesias, Lagares, and Gosselin performances in May improve Perry’s previous mediocre grade.

Now, at this point, I give him a C.

J. Iglesias and Suzuki have been bad defensively.

Slegers and Quintana have been very mediocre on the mound.

Claudio has been meh.

Fowler never got a chance to show something.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Minasian Good:

Cobb

R. Iglesias

Legares 

Gosselin

Cishek

Minasian Meh:

Watson

Claudio

Iglesias

Fowler

Minasian Bad:

Quintana

Slegers

Suzuki

One thing that probably at least deserves mentioning is that is half the roster.  I may sound like a homer with this, but with a limited budget and having to replace 12 guys, isn’t it kind of assumed they aren’t all going to be winners?  

If I remember correctly the court of public opinion (AngelsWin) loved these signings/acquistions:

Quintana

Slegers

Cishek

Watson

Claudio

Iglesias 

Iglesias

Lageres

Suzuki

Hated these signings/acquisitions:

Fowler

Cobb 

The one that got the most shit was Cobb and as of May 31st he is probably the best acquisition.  

I wouldn't give all the blame to Perry either. guys that we needed, just haven't performed.

Flecther, outside of key situations has struggled!

Meyers, cant get throughout a single inning without getting into trouble.

Buttery, retired out of nowhere.

Upton, outside of the lead of position these past few games, he has been garbage for the past 2/3 years. 

Trout getting hurt.

I will say, there is still alot of baseball left. we 6 games behind Oakland, and from what I've seen Oakland can be beaten. But we need to start playing better.

10 hours ago, Stradling said:

Minasian Good:

Cobb

R. Iglesias

Legares 

Gosselin

Cishek

Minasian Meh:

Watson

Claudio

Iglesias

Fowler

Minasian Bad:

Quintana

Slegers

Suzuki

One thing that probably at least deserves mentioning is that is half the roster.  I may sound like a homer with this, but with a limited budget and having to replace 12 guys, isn’t it kind of assumed they aren’t all going to be winners?  

If I remember correctly the court of public opinion (AngelsWin) loved these signings/acquistions:

Quintana

Slegers

Cishek

Watson

Claudio

Iglesias 

Iglesias

Lageres

Suzuki

Hated these signings/acquisitions:

Fowler

Cobb 

The one that got the most shit was Cobb and as of May 31st he is probably the best acquisition.  

I liked the Cobb trade and hated the Quintana signing. I got some shit for it, too

On 3/30/2021 at 7:01 AM, angelsnationtalk said:

Too early to grade new acquisitions, but I'll give a current grade based on ST performances. 

Rotation - Optimistic C+ - Year after year the Angels have struggled heavily here. Giving a "C+" is a passing grade but solid performance will raise it to a "B+" if Quintana maintains the durability he's always shown and Angels strike gold again with Cobb having another Bundy-like change. Also, Ohtani can COMPLETELY change how this rotation looks. Mr. Blister Boy. 

Bull-Pen - C- then B within 24hrs - Perry has done a great job with finding arms. It remains to be seen if they are quality arms, but he's shown early that he can find the players rather than just sticking young guys Barria and Peters out there to fill a void. Also cool seeing C-Rod get a chance. Dude has a nasty fastball. 

Line-up - B+ - The lineup is stacked (again), but what I really like about this is the depth pieces behind the starters. Minasian brought a BUNCH of players in to compete for spots. That's something we haven't seen in awhile. Lagares has been incredible, plus his glove is a must. 

Farm - C - It is what it is. Though, it was nice seeing Minasian revamp the roster without dealing any notable prospects. Only downfall was losing Soriano in Rule 5, but hopefully he gets returned at some point during the season since he's coming back from TJ.

Overall - C+

TIme to look at this again 2 months after....

Overal grade right now stands at a C-