• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Steve Cishek and Tony Watson (1 year, $1 million a piece)

mmc

• mmc changed the title to Angels sign Steve Cishek and Tony Watson
  • mmc changed the title to Angels sign Steve Cishek and Tony Watson (1 year, $1 million a piece)

ANAHEIM – The Angels today agreed to a one-year, $1 million contracts with LHP Tony Watson and RHP Steve Cishek. In a corresponding move, RHP Luke Bard has been placed on the 60-day injured list. 

Watson, 35, appeared in seven Spring Training games (5 IP) for the Phillies before being granted his release on March 26. A veteran of 10 Major League seasons, Watson owns a 40-25 career record with 32 saves and a 2.80 ERA (591 IP – 184 ER) across 627 games in relief for the Pirates (2011-17), Dodgers (2017) and Giants (2018-20). Since 2011, he leads all active left-handers in pitching appearances.

Cishek, (pronounced ‘SEE-sheck’), 34, made seven appearances for Houston during Spring Training and compiled 12 strikeouts in 7.2 innings before being granted his release on March 25. He has compiled a 32-37 career record with 132 saves and a 2.78 ERA (576 IP – 178 ER) across 594 games and 11 Major League seasons with the Marlins (2010-15), Cardinals (2015), Mariners (2016-17), Rays (2017), Cubs (2018-19) and White Sox (2020).

I think these moves are alright.  Bullpen seems to have more useful arms then they’ve had in a while.  Watson has lost some velocity but apparently still put a decent year together last year.  I think I only saw him pitch once last year and he looked pretty good.  In years prior I really liked him. 

18 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Watson lost 3mph on his fastball last year.  

Does give them another lefty with Claudio.

Only $1 million, not much to sacrifice

Either Perry isn’t enamored at all with Greene, or Greene is still seeking the same salary he would have made in a full 2020 season ($6 million).

2 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I think these moves are alright.  Bullpen seems to have more useful arms then they’ve had in a while.  Watson has lost some velocity but apparently still put a decent year together last year.  I think I only saw him pitch once last year and he looked pretty good.  In years prior I really liked him. 

I'm not too concerned about Watson's "lost" velocity in that he has never really been a strikeout pitcher.  He's mainly a groundball pitcher who isn't dependent on blowing away hitters.  So in that regard, even if his stuff declines a bit, he can perhaps get away with it better than someone who is reliant on generating a lot of swing and misses.

But I agree on the whole.  These moves are "alright," but I do think it's helpful in that we are building our reliable bullpen options.  Just a few days ago, there was a chance we could have been forced to watch Chavez pitch again.  This is definitely better, and beyond these guys, we have Ramirez as a depth option in AAA, which is pretty decent.

17 minutes ago, mmc said:

Pretty hilarious that Minasian gets sweet deals on Cishek, Claudio, and Watson in his first offseason meanwhile Eppler's sole MLB vet free agent reliever signing was giving a whopping $8.5M to Cody fuckin Allen

Let's not get ahead of ourselves and anoint Minasian "the bullpen whisperer" just yet...

1 minute ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves and anoint Minasian "the bullpen whisperer" just yet...

Right.  But that said, he's built up some nice depth options and serviceable guys at least.  I do think we still need another high-leverage option, but at least we now have some pretty decent middle relief depth.

And this also likely means CRod won't be forced to serve as a reliever, and instead can build up his arm and work on being a SP instead.

13 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Right.  But that said, he's built up some nice depth options and serviceable guys at least.  I do think we still need another high-leverage option, but at least we now have some pretty decent middle relief depth.

And this also likely means CRod won't be forced to serve as a reliever, and instead can build up his arm and work on being a SP instead.

Yep.