• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels’ bullpen remains a work in progress

30 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

He should have a year then.   If progress not made by September, cut bait.

There is no need to move on that quickly, especially when he has options.  As we see every year, relievers are highly volatile.  Better to bet on someone with good stuff righting the ship, especially when you can use options to stash them on the roster.

7 hours ago, Warfarin said:

Given they just added Guerra, I doubt it's him.

They need to create 3 spots - 1 for one of the guys they just added, and two more for Rojas and Lagares.

I am going to guess Barretto will be put on the 60-day IL, so that means 2 spots.  Keller is a DFA candidate, and maybe Quijada or Mayfield.

Quijada isn't on the 40-man roster right now. He's on the restricted list. They'll either have to add him or DFA him within the next 20ish days I believe.

So they only have have to clear 2 spots: 1 for Rojas and 1 for Lagares.

It seems like the top options for that are:

- Barreto to the 60 day IL.

- Keller DFA'd.

- Mayfield DFA'd.

After that, maybe you start looking at exploring a Hector Yan or Matt Thaiss trade to a team that has room on the 40-man roster in exchange for international bonus pool or non 40-man prospects?

5 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

How much longer does Buttrey have before they trade/DFA him?

Acquired him 3 years ago, and not much to show for it after May 2019.

A long while still, unless his stuff completely collapses or he gets hurt. As long as he still has options, he's gonna stay on the 40-man roster. Even after this year, he'll still have another year of options left.

1 minute ago, Trendon said:

Quijada isn't on the 40-man roster right now. He's on the restricted list. They'll either have to add him or DFA him within the next 20ish days I believe.

So they only have have to clear 2 spots: 1 for Rojas and 1 for Lagares.

It seems like the top options for that are:

- Barreto to the 60 day IL.

- Keller DFA'd.

- Mayfield DFA'd.

After that, maybe you start looking at exploring a Hector Yan or Matt Thaiss trade to a team that has room on the 40-man roster in exchange for international bonus pool or non 40-man prospects?

Forgot that point about Quijada, thanks for that.

Barreto to the 60-man IL seems like a likely move I'd imagine.  The other, given we don't have a ton of IF depth, I think we'd see a Keller DFA before Mayfield, but who knows.

Guerra and Claudio can easily be replaced now that  Cishek and Watson are aboard. Rodriguez needs to spend time at the AS and then AA. I would rather see Sandoval also work at the AS on his  fastball command. One thing I have noticed about Angels pitchers is that they don’t get enough early count outs, this drives up the pitch count and leads to overuse of the pen. 

1 hour ago, TroutCron said:

Guerra and Claudio can easily be replaced now that  Cishek and Watson are aboard. Rodriguez needs to spend time at the AS and then AA. I would rather see Sandoval also work at the AS on his  fastball command. One thing I have noticed about Angels pitchers is that they don’t get enough early count outs, this drives up the pitch count and leads to overuse of the pen. 

Guerra and Claudio aren't getting replaced before throwing a single pitch in the regular season after signing contracts with the Angels.

10 hours ago, Trendon said:

Guerra and Claudio aren't getting replaced before throwing a single pitch in the regular season after signing contracts with the Angels.

Yes.  The nice thing about our bullpen is that for the most part, if someone underperforms for awhile, they can be easily let go because no one, outside of Iglesias, is earning much salary.  It's not hard to part ways with guys you only gave a 1/1 deal to.  But that said, I would expect to see our relievers last for awhile before anyone gets shifted off.

When Pena returns, one of CRod or Slegers gets optioned, but otherwise, what we have now is what we will likely see for awhile.  

I think a nice benefit of strengthening our middle relief corps is that strengthening our bullpen has actually strengthened our rotation, too.

For most of spring, it looked like we would have at least one of Sandoval or Barria in the bullpen, if not both.  Now, both (along with Suarez) are in AAA/alternate site, which means they are SP7, SP8, and SP9 in some order.  

When injuries inevitably strike, that means we should be able to rely on serviceable MLB starters (or better) to get called up and make starts, which puts us in much better position than in years passed.  

7 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Glad Minasian did not put money on Kirby Yates or Trevor Rosenthal. Angels with many options in pen now.

On 2/14/2021 at 8:27 PM, Angels 1961 said:

I like Pena, Slegers and Mayers but 1 more especially a Rosenthal would be huge.

Bullpen work that helps build contenders

Looks like Slegers won the main 7th inning role?  Excellent debut 

As long as Mayers continues to vary location on his cutter and slider and spots them well, the 1-2 mph lost won’t matter.

Edited by Angel Oracle

32 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Bullpen work that helps build contenders

Looks like Slegers won the main 7th inning role?  Excellent debut 

As long as Mayers continues to vary location on his cutter and slider and spots them well, the 1-2 mph lost won’t matter.

Pitch Tracking

Year
Pitch Type
#
# RHB
# LHB
%
MPH
PA
AB
H
1B
2B
3B
HR
SO
BBE
BA
XBA
SLG
XSLG
WOBA
XWOBA
EV
LA
Spin
Ext.
Whiff%
PutAway%
2021 Cutter 12 1 11 70.6 89.2 3 2 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 .000 .024 .000 .024 .248 .262 75.4 -14 2335 5.8 33.3 25.0
2021 Slider 3 2 1 17.6 83.6 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 .000 .383 .000 .404 .000 .345 109.3 -4 2581 5.8 50.0  
2021 4-Seam Fastball 2 0 2 11.8 93.3                                   2559 6.0 100.0  
2020 Slider 203 114 89 39.6 85.3 46 43 9 7 2 0 0 14 29 .209 .166 .256 .229 .234 .206 87.4 16 2120 5.7 31.4 17.5
2020 4-Seam Fastball 172 71 101 33.6 94.2 42 36 4 2 1 0 1 15 21 .111 .193 .222 .401 .219 .310 91.0 26 2372 5.8 38.0 26.8
2020 Cutter 124 44 80 24.2 90.3 33 32 5 3 1 0 1 14 18 .156 .151 .281 .274 .199 .197 88.1 15 2196 5.7 36.9 43.8
2020 Curveball 13 4 9 2.5 77.0                                   2432 5.7 100.0  
! Note: Years are in reverse order.

Obviously not much can be gleamed from a small sample size, but a cursory glance is it looks like his velocity is indeed down a little, but the spin of all of his pitches is also higher, too.  Throwing harder isn't always better - sometimes, throwing with a bit less velocity but more spin generates better results.  I'm looking forward to a larger sample size to see if the trend holds - velocity down a bit, but spin up.

On 3/31/2021 at 5:59 PM, Jeff Fletcher said:

Slegers is the only one who has options of the current relievers. 

On 4/1/2021 at 9:51 AM, Jeff Fletcher said:

Oh yeah. I forgot him. He’s never been in the majors so he obviously has options 

If all are healthy when Pena comes back (a big if), who do you think is in the minors? Slegers, CRod, Pena, or do they just wait and see how the first two are doing at that point?