• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Favorite game

Saw this elsewhere and thought it be interesting to do here.

What is one of your favorite games that you have attended or watched THAT DID NOT INCLUDE ANY OF YOUR FAVORITE TEAMS?

One game that I really enjoyed, for example, was the Men's CBB Final in 1985, Georgetown v. Villanova. A pretty darn incredible game. Another one for me would be Game 1 of the '88 World Series.

Whaddaya got?

I remember my first baseball game I went to in person. Orioles v Twins at old memorial stadium in Baltimore in 1981. I believe this was the first time Ripken Jr made the show although his true rookie year was ‘83. I remember my dad telling me that this “kid playing 3rd base was going to be a good ball player”. I also remember it taking 3+ hours to get out of the parking lot after the game. 

Went to a Frozen Four finals when it was in Anaheim.  New Hampshire vs Maine.  Maine was the team I was rooting for, since that was Paul Kariya's alma mater.  It was just action after action, with the both goalies playing like, well the championship depended on it.  The game went to OT, and Maine won.  Probably the best hockey game I've ever watched.

When I was 14 we were visiting relatives in Houston and my cousin took me to see a Rockets vs New Orleans Jazz basketball game. Young Moses Malone playing for the Rockets and Pete Maravich for the Jazz. Maravich had like 38 points and won it on a buzzer beater. The man was a magician with a basketball. 

15 hours ago, Tank said:

Saw this elsewhere and thought it be interesting to do here.

What is one of your favorite games that you have attended or watched THAT DID NOT INCLUDE ANY OF YOUR FAVORITE TEAMS?

One game that I really enjoyed, for example, was the Men's CBB Final in 1985, Georgetown v. Villanova. A pretty darn incredible game. Another one for me would be Game 1 of the '88 World Series.

Whaddaya got?

November 4th, 2001 and the company I worked for had a suite at the Arrowhead Pond. That's where a bunch of us watched one of the most exciting World Series games with the Diamondbacks winning with a walkout single by Luis Gonzalez off of the greatest closer of all time Mariano Rivera in game 7.

There was also a hockey game going on in the other room. The Mighty Ducks played some other team. Dont remember who or the outcome. 

While I am a fan of LMU, it's not like I go to any games or watch them play. Mainly because there are no real opportunities to do so.

Anyway, March 18, 1990.  Two weeks after the death of Hank Gathers, I was at the LB Arena and watched LMU take on defending national champions Michigan (in the 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament), who had Loy Vaught, Rumeal Robinson, Terry Mills, Sean Higgins...

It was bombs away from the start. LMU won 149-115. Jeff Fryer hit 11 3-pointers (of LMU's 21) while scoring 41 pts. Bo Kimble added 37 points. Still one of the greatest sporting events I've ever witnessed. 

21 hours ago, arch stanton said:

When I was 14 we were visiting relatives in Houston and my cousin took me to see a Rockets vs New Orleans Jazz basketball game. Young Moses Malone playing for the Rockets and Pete Maravich for the Jazz. Maravich had like 38 points and won it on a buzzer beater. The man was a magician with a basketball. 

I remember watching a Red Auerbach pregame show once where he had Pete Maravich as a guest.  Pete demonstrated how he would do all kinds of no look passes, including a one hand bounce pass to the right wing off of a dribble drive to the left.  He was a real talent. 

When I was 10, I saw a basketball game between two great rivals. These teams both have storied histories with skillful, colorful players. This was also the first time I was in a large indoor arena, and I was just blown away by the arena size, and how tall the players were. Even had a bucket of confetti thrown in my direction! Crazy night! 

The game was The Harlem Globetrotters vs. the Generals, at CSU Bakersfield. A game that will live in infamy!

Back on topic, I was working a project in Massachusetts in 2001.  One of the local guys on the project heard that I was a hockey fan, so he took me to a BC Hockey game.  I don't remember who they were playing, but it is a really small, old building and no seats behind one of the goals as I recall.  The "fans" were really into the game.  In the rafters over the visitor's goal for the 1st and 3rd periods they had a banner that said Seive with an arrow pointing down at the goalie.   Anytime BC Scored they would start chanting "Seive! Seive! Seive!"

It was a lot of fun.

1 hour ago, Angel Dog and Beer said:

When I was 10, I saw a basketball game between two great rivals. These teams both have storied histories with skillful, colorful players. This was also the first time I was in a large indoor arena, and I was just blown away by the arena size, and how tall the players were. Even had a bucket of confetti thrown in my direction! Crazy night! 

The game was The Harlem Globetrotters vs. the Generals, at CSU Bakersfield. A game that will live in infamy!

Who won?

The KState Xavier game in the 2010 tournament is probably the most insane college basketball game that I was personally invested in that I’ve ever seen. Jordan Crawford and Jacob Pullen were just trading insane long range shots the whole game and through both OTs.

I was lucky enough to get to see the very first BCS National Championship game in Sun Devil Stadium in 1998.  My good friends is a FSU alum and was able to get 4 tickets to the game.

It was a great game between Tennessee and Florida State and there were some amazing players in that game.  Tee Martin was unreal, and led UT to a 23-16 win late in the 4th quarter.

And while I had zero vested interest in the game, other than just being a super college football fan, it was awesome to be there in person and see a tremendous game.

On 3/23/2021 at 12:04 PM, arch stanton said:

Pistol Peter was my all-time favorite basketball player.

Sept. 20, 2008.  Went to a Cubs game - my first and only trip to Wrigley.  They played the Cardinals and won 5-4 to clinch the NL Central.  The atmosphere was electric and the Cub fans went nuts.  It was fun to be at. Troy Glaus hit a 3 run HR for the Cards in a losing cause.

I've been to the Rose Bowl game once... It was 1986 and Eric Ball ran wild and the Bruins upset Iowa 45-28.  It's the only bowl game I've ever been to and it was a lot of fun.  Had great seats not only for the game, but the parade too.  Fun day. 

1 hour ago, True Grich said:

I've been to the Rose Bowl game once... It was 1986 and Eric Ball ran wild and the Bruins upset Iowa 45-28.  It's the only bowl game I've ever been to and it was a lot of fun.  Had great seats not only for the game, but the parade too.  Fun day. 

I went to the 1974 rose bowl, Ohio State vs. USC. Buckeyes smashed them 42-21, but I’m a Buckeyes fan so it doesn’t count in this thread.

But yeah, that was a really fun game to see in person.

June 18, 1967, Red Sox at Senators, my first regular season MLB game. Washington had a 2-0 lead going into the ninth. Carl Yastrzemski hit a game-tying homer in the top of the ninth that landed below us (we were in the upper deck in right field at what was then DC Stadium). Washington won it in the bottom of the tenth when Dick Allen's brother Hank lined a single up the middle with a runner on third. The Red Sox played in the World Series that year. Emmett Ashford, MLB's first black umpire, was behind home plate. He ejected Boston manager Dick Williams for arguing balls and strikes.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan