• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Keyboard GM's - Pick your opening day 26

I like Jeff's bullpen. Sandoval has options and they absolutely should keep him stretched out instead of using him in long relief. He'll pitch some simulated/squad games at IE then head to Salt Lake in May. The only possible change I'd think about is Farria/Guerra, but Guerra can go multiple innings. I'd love to see guys like Farria, Reed, and Rowen stay down at AAA to fill in as needed. 

@Jeff Fletcher Does this mean Barreto gets DFA'd, and how likely is it that somebody picks him up? 

9 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

I like Jeff's bullpen. Sandoval has options and they absolutely should keep him stretched out instead of using him in long relief. He'll pitch some simulated/squad games at IE then head to Salt Lake in May. The only possible change I'd think about is Farria/Guerra, but Guerra can go multiple innings. I'd love to see guys like Farria, Reed, and Rowen stay down at AAA to fill in as needed. 

@Jeff Fletcher Does this mean Barreto gets DFA'd, and how likely is it that somebody picks him up? 

I could see a trade for another reliever . Roster crunches will make  several interesting players available. A trade like that would benefit both teams , as they are getting something in return, instead of a DFA.

8 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Not my choice, but my prediction...

SP: Bundy, Heaney, Canning, Quintana, Cobb, Ohtani.

BP: Iglesias, Mayers, Buttrey, Claudio, Guerra, Slegers, Barría, Peña.

IF: Pujols, Walsh, Fletcher, Iglesias, Rendon, Rengifo.

OF: Upton, Trout, Fowler, Lagares.

C Stassi, Suzuki

Caveat: none of this matters because the roster will change about 120 times. 

This is basically what I see at this point as well.  If Barria has an option, I think he might go to AAA, and perhaps Rivera (who pitched today) or someone else is added as the last reliever.  This would leave Barria, Sandoval, and Suarez stretched out at the alternate site to sub in as needed when injury strikes.

I'd love to see Rengifo instead of Barreto.  It'll be interesting to see what Minasian decides to do.  Personally, I don't think someone with awful plate discipline like Barreto does has a legit MLB future, but we'll see.

5 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

What if Fletcher or Iglesias has a little tweak and can't play for a couple days?

Then you'd just send Rojas down and call up Mayfield (who is on the 40-man roster and can play SS).

The hypothetical of "what if Fletcher or Iglesias has a little tweak and can't play for a couple days" could also be changed to "what if Walsh or Pujols has a little tweak and can't play for a couple days." In the latter scenario, you'd have to make room to call up Thaiss or another player who could play 1B since Barreto/Rengifo can't play 1B.

Since Rojas *can* play 2B and Fletcher can play SS, they could go with Rojas over Barreto or Rengifo.

That being said, I don't think it's likely, but it's for other reasons and not because Rojas can't play SS.

7 hours ago, Don said:

I'll admit that's where it gets a little rough. Obviously if one of them hits the IL for a bit, the solution is pretty simple (call up a SS, or someone that can play SS). But the short-term two or three day injury does become a problem with Rojas on the team, because if whoever is playing SS gets hurt in a game after one of Iglesias or Fletcher are already hurt we're forced to play somebody out of position at SS. And for that reason, Rojas probably spends most of this year in AAA. It makes sense from a roster construction standpoint. All that said, I view the Fletcher/Iglesias is hurt but not hurt enough to go on the IL, then whoever is playing SS also gets hurt in a game scenario as something unlikely to happen more than a couple of times in the year. And maybe we end up losing those games because we end up playing somebody out of position at SS, or maybe we don't. I'm more scared of losing several games because we're giving Rengifo or Barreto semi-regular ABs while they rock a .600-ish OPS. But that's what we'll do. Though I really do hope that Rengifo or Barreto figure it out at the plate and make this discussion not worth having. 

It’s not just the getting hurt thing. I really can’t see Rojas starting a game at 2B, let alone 2-3 in a row. 

6 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

That’s the tricky thing. He’s out of options so if they want Rengifo, that’s the risk they take. 

Also, the fact that Peña got hurt hours after I did my roster tells you what a futile exercise this is. 

9 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

It’s not just the getting hurt thing. I really can’t see Rojas starting a game at 2B, let alone 2-3 in a row. 

That’s good to know. I had kinda assumed he was competent at 2B, but I don’t really have any evidence for that. So I appreciate your info on that front.

On 3/14/2021 at 12:14 PM, WicketMaiden said:

There are some really interesting choices facing the Angels this year with a 6 man rotation and Grampa Pujols creating a bit of a roster crunch. So if you were Joe, who would you go with for opening day (incl your choice of starter and order of rotation, and hitting order)? This isn't a guessing game about who you think will be picked, but rather who would you choose if you were the Angels GM.

My Choices

Starters: Quintana (opening day); Bundy; Heaney; Canning; Ohtani; Cobb (Ohtani would be higher but I want to alternate R/L arms)

Line-up: Fletcher (2B); Trout (CF); Ohtani (DH); Rendon (3B); Walsh (1B); Upton (LF); Stassi (C); Lagares (RF); Iglesias (SS)

Bull-Pen: Iglesias (CL); Mayers (Set-up); Claudio (Lefty); Buttrey (6,7); Guerra (6,7); Barria (Long); Sandoval (Long); Pena (Long)

Bench: Barreto; Ward; Suzuki; Fowler (Grampa only gets to play when Ohtani doesn't in my team)

I think that gives a scary line-up with excellent D; a solid rotation; a decent bench; but only a 'meh' bull-pen. So I'd try to trade Barreto for a set-up guy as soon as I could and bring up Rengifo for the bench.

What's your team???

Just now, disarcina said:

agree with most of the choices above by WicketMaiden - Barreto , position player and Pena on the bubble. I'd probably go with Renfigo over Barreto. For some reason I think Ohtani may start season on IR.  Having some issue with Lagares being in starting line up - but he's been having a good spring - just don't see him as a long term viable (even for 2021) option there.  Looking at the roster - having trouble determining where Fowler fits in -- he no longer has the speed he once did, he strikes out a lot - whatever power he showed earlier in his career was Coors Field fueled numbers and St, Louis gave up on him -- seldom does St. Louis give up on a quality player who can still contribute - I hope for the Halos sake, I am wrong - but I see Fowler DFA'd when the roster reverts to 25 (when is that? May 1 ?)

Just now, disarcina said:

I'll go ahead and give a stab at it.  This is what I think the club will do, not so much what I would personally do:

SP:  Bundy, Heaney, Canning, Quintana, Ohtani, Cobb

RP:  Iglesias, Mayers, Buttrey, Pena (if healthy), Claudio, Slegers, Guerra, Barria (if no option).  If Pena is out, or if Barria has an option, then insert Rivera

Lineup:  2B Fletcher, CF Trout, DH Ohtani, 3B Rendon, 1B Walsh, LF Upton, RF Fowler, C Stassi, SS Iglesias

Bench:  C Suzuki, IF/OF Barreto, OF Lagares, 1B Pujols

The lineup could go in different ways depending on who is pitching.  With the way Ohtani is hitting in spring, I'd be inclined to hit him above Walsh.  

Personally, I think this is a better team if Barreto is just DFA'd and Rengifo takes his place.  Barreto is out of options, and in truth, I'm skeptical as to whether other teams would carry him on their 40 man roster.  His plate discipline is just so terrible.

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

I'll go ahead and give a stab at it.  This is what I think the club will do, not so much what I would personally do:

SP:  Bundy, Heaney, Canning, Quintana, Ohtani, Cobb

RP:  Iglesias, Mayers, Buttrey, Pena (if healthy), Claudio, Slegers, Guerra, Barria (if no option).  If Pena is out, or if Barria has an option, then insert Rivera

Lineup:  2B Fletcher, CF Trout, DH Ohtani, 3B Rendon, 1B Walsh, LF Upton, RF Fowler, C Stassi, SS Iglesias

Bench:  C Suzuki, IF/OF Barreto, OF Lagares, 1B Pujols

The lineup could go in different ways depending on who is pitching.  With the way Ohtani is hitting in spring, I'd be inclined to hit him above Walsh.  

Personally, I think this is a better team if Barreto is just DFA'd and Rengifo takes his place.  Barreto is out of options, and in truth, I'm skeptical as to whether other teams would carry him on their 40 man roster.  His plate discipline is just so terrible.

I think sometimes, it's not worth worrying about options. If a guy doesn't necessarily fit in your long-term plans, DFA him. It's not like Barreto has a lot of trade value, so if he doesn't fit, go with the guy you like. 

I'm intrigued by Rivera and not sure I'd want to lose him for the likes of Slegers or Guerra. I suppose they'll take the next couple weeks to figure it out, but he could be a central piece to the bullpen for years to come while Guerra, at least, is a rental.

I'm mixed on Barreto vs. Rengifo. I like Rengifo better and think he's a better fit for the team's needs, but am not opposed to starting Barreto on the major league team and Rengifo in AAA until one or both of two things happen: 1) Barreto sucks for a month or more, 2) someone gets hurt.

16 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Also, the fact that Peña got hurt hours after I did my roster tells you what a futile exercise this is

Welcome to AW.  "Futile exercise" is the only exercise some of us get. I mean, that's what a message board is all about. 

1 hour ago, True Grich said:

I just want to give praise to @WicketMaiden for the phrase "Keyboard GM's."  That's pretty darn good.

Let’s not forget the previous gems of “niggling” and “fuckwittery” both of which I’m using in heavy rotation in my everyday language now.

I take caution with the word “niggling” though in this cancel culture society.  

1 hour ago, PattyD22 said:

Let’s not forget the previous gems of “niggling” and “fuckwittery” both of which I’m using in heavy rotation in my everyday language now.

I take caution with the word “niggling” though in this cancel culture society.  

He also gave us the word "numpty."

• 2 weeks later...
  • Rotation (6):
    • Bundy, Heaney, Canning, Quintana, Cobb, Ohtani
  • Bullpen (8): 
    • Iglesias, Mayers, Buttrey, Claudio, Guerra, Sandoval, Rodriguez, Barria
  • Lineup (9):
    • Fletcher, Walsh, Trout, Rendon, Upton, Pujols, Fowler, Stassi, Iglesias
  • Bench (3): 
    • Suzuki, Rojas, Lagares

Walsh, Albert, Fletcher, Rojas, Iglesias, Rendon

Suzuki, Stassi

Trout, Upton, Fowler, Ward

Bundy, Ohtani, Cobb, Canning, Quintana, Heaney

Iglesias, Mayer’s, Sleggers, Sandoval, Claudio, Guerra, CRod, Barria

This isn’t what I would do, but it’s what I think they’ll do.  I just feel like Maddon values defense less than Scioscia.  So we very well could see Rojas, who’s simply bad defensively, and even Ward make the team.  Ward I’m fine with, but it means Fowler in CF. 

43 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Walsh, Albert, Fletcher, Rojas, Iglesias, Rendon

Suzuki, Stassi

Trout, Upton, Fowler, Ward

Bundy, Ohtani, Cobb, Canning, Quintana, Heaney

Iglesias, Mayer’s, Sleggers, Sandoval, Claudio, Guerra, CRod, Barria

This isn’t what I would do, but it’s what I think they’ll do.  I just feel like Maddon values defense less than Scioscia.  So we very well could see Rojas, who’s simply bad defensively, and even Ward make the team.  Ward I’m fine with, but it means Fowler in CF. 

Rojas essentially made the team yesterday. 

I still don’t think CRod is gonna make it but his chances go up a little each day. 

The OF situation is interesting. Ward and Schebler have both hit well in the spring, but Lagares is the guy who can play all 3 OF spots as a plus defender. 

Did you mean to leave Buttrey out of the bullpen or did you just forget him?

Edited by Jeff Fletcher

14 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Rojas essentially made the team yesterday. 

I still don’t think CRod is gonna make it but his chances go up a little each day. 

The OF situation is interesting. Ward and Schebler have both hit well in the spring, but Lagares is the guy who can play all 3 OF spots as a plus defender. 

Did you mean to leave Buttrey out of the bullpen or did you just forget him?

I just forgot about Buttrey.  Hopefully they’ll slide him in instead of CRod. 

21 minutes ago, totdprods said:

@Jeff Fletcher are you able to find out if either Lagares or Schebler have opt-outs? Could also be a determining factor. 

If they risk losing either to free agency in coming days or the first month of the season, it may be worth moving them up in line to maintain some org depth.

Schebler doesn’t have enough service time. The Angels would need to pay Lagares a $100K retention bonus if they don’t add him to the roster by Saturday (same for Chavez, Jay).