• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Keyboard GM's - Pick your opening day 26

There are some really interesting choices facing the Angels this year with a 6 man rotation and Grampa Pujols creating a bit of a roster crunch. So if you were Joe, who would you go with for opening day (incl your choice of starter and order of rotation, and hitting order)? This isn't a guessing game about who you think will be picked, but rather who would you choose if you were the Angels GM.

My Choices

Starters: Quintana (opening day); Bundy; Heaney; Canning; Ohtani; Cobb (Ohtani would be higher but I want to alternate R/L arms)

Line-up: Fletcher (2B); Trout (CF); Ohtani (DH); Rendon (3B); Walsh (1B); Upton (LF); Stassi (C); Lagares (RF); Iglesias (SS)

Bull-Pen: Iglesias (CL); Mayers (Set-up); Claudio (Lefty); Buttrey (6,7); Guerra (6,7); Barria (Long); Sandoval (Long); Pena (Long)

Bench: Barreto; Ward; Suzuki; Fowler (Grampa only gets to play when Ohtani doesn't in my team)

I think that gives a scary line-up with excellent D; a solid rotation; a decent bench; but only a 'meh' bull-pen. So I'd try to trade Barreto for a set-up guy as soon as I could and bring up Rengifo for the bench.

What's your team???

SP: Bundy, Heaney, Canning, Quintana, Cobb, Ohtani.

RP: Iglesias, Mayers, Buttrey, Peña, Claudio, Guerra, Faria, Barrria. (If Barria isn't out of options, I'd put Sandoval in there over Barria).

Lineup: Fletcher, Trout, Rendon, Ohtani, Upton, Walsh, Iglesias, Stassi, Fowler.

Bench: Suzuki, Barreto, Lagares, Ward.

4 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

You have 26, and you didn't count Albert, who is going to make the team unless the world comes to an end.  

I think we'll only carry one lefty reliever, Claudio, since I think Sandoval still has an option.  

That leaves a bench of Albert, Suzuki, Barreto, Ward, and Fowler.  

The OP made it clear that this exercise is not a prediction about what will happen, but what you would do if you were in charge.

4 hours ago, WicketMaiden said:

So if you were Joe, who would you go with for opening day (incl your choice of starter and order of rotation, and hitting order)? This isn't a guessing game about who you think will be picked, but rather who would you choose if you were the Angels GM.

10 hours ago, WicketMaiden said:

There are some really interesting choices facing the Angels this year with a 6 man rotation and Grampa Pujols creating a bit of a roster crunch. So if you were Joe, who would you go with for opening day (incl your choice of starter and order of rotation, and hitting order)? This isn't a guessing game about who you think will be picked, but rather who would you choose if you were the Angels GM.

My Choices

Starters: Quintana (opening day); Bundy; Heaney; Canning; Ohtani; Cobb (Ohtani would be higher but I want to alternate R/L arms)

Line-up: Fletcher (2B); Trout (CF); Ohtani (DH); Rendon (3B); Walsh (1B); Upton (LF); Stassi (C); Lagares (RF); Iglesias (SS)

Bull-Pen: Iglesias (CL); Mayers (Set-up); Claudio (Lefty); Buttrey (6,7); Guerra (6,7); Barria (Long); Sandoval (Long); Pena (Long)

Bench: Barreto; Ward; Suzuki; Fowler (Grampa only gets to play when Ohtani doesn't in my team)

I think that gives a scary line-up with excellent D; a solid rotation; a decent bench; but only a 'meh' bull-pen. So I'd try to trade Barreto for a set-up guy as soon as I could and bring up Rengifo for the bench.

What's your team???

Damn you put Lagares in! Love it! He better win the 4th spot over Jay or I'm going to get pissed. 

Not my choice, but my prediction...

SP: Bundy, Heaney, Canning, Quintana, Cobb, Ohtani.

BP: Iglesias, Mayers, Buttrey, Claudio, Guerra, Slegers, Barría, Peña.

IF: Pujols, Walsh, Fletcher, Iglesias, Rendon, Rengifo.

OF: Upton, Trout, Fowler, Lagares.

C Stassi, Suzuki

Caveat: none of this matters because the roster will change about 120 times. 

Perhaps an unpopular opinion here, but I’d really like Rojas to get a bench spot. I just don’t think we can count on Rengifo or Barreto to hit at the major league level. Rojas is an unknown on that front too, but his minor league numbers are encouraging and I think he deserves a shot just as much as those two do.

5 minutes ago, Don said:

Perhaps an unpopular opinion here, but I’d really like Rojas to get a bench spot. I just don’t think we can count on Rengifo or Barreto to hit at the major league level. Rojas is an unknown on that front too, but his minor league numbers are encouraging and I think he deserves a shot just as much as those two do.

It would have to be at the expense of a pitcher. Rojas can’t replace Rengifo/Barreto because he can’t play SS. 

58 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Not my choice, but my prediction...

What would your choice be Jeff? How would it differ from your prediction? Interested to see other peoples takes, especially those like yourself that know a helluva lot more about the Angels' players than a keyboard GM like me. Thanks.

45 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Any chance halos only have 7 in bullpen to start season? Would Maddon use starters inn relief not named Ohtani? 

Can't see Maddon burning a starter from the bull-pen just to win a regular season game. In the post season sure, but not for just one of 162. If the pen blows up just turn the page and win the next game. 

4 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

Can't see Maddon burning an starter from the bull-pen just to win a regular season game. In the post season sure, but not for just one of 162. If the pen blows up just turn the page and win the next game. 

The only reason I thought that is in 6 man rotation and pitchers throw in between starts. If you throw in an off day do you skip someone in rotation?

15 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

The only reason I thought that is in 6 man rotation and pitchers throw in between starts. If you throw in an off day do you skip someone in rotation?

No reason to skip someone unless they need extra rest due to a niggling injury. After last year's shortened season a 6 man rotation is a shrewd way of keeping innings down and keeping everyone healthy.

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

It would have to be at the expense of a pitcher. Rojas can’t replace Rengifo/Barreto because he can’t play SS. 

I’d be ok with moving Fletcher to SS as needed in that case.

2 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Any chance halos only have 7 in bullpen to start season? Would Maddon use starters inn relief not named Ohtani? 

I think it's possible but I wouldn't bet on it. Bench players don't serve a whole lot of purpose in the AL.

And none of the starters will pitch in relief.

2 hours ago, WicketMaiden said:

What would your choice be Jeff? How would it differ from your prediction?

Nah. I can't say I have strong enough feelings about any of this roster minutia to go against what I think the Angels are going to do.

Again, it doesn't matter because the opening day roster is going to change by about April 3.

9 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

What if Fletcher or Iglesias has a little tweak and can't play for a couple days?

I'll admit that's where it gets a little rough. Obviously if one of them hits the IL for a bit, the solution is pretty simple (call up a SS, or someone that can play SS). But the short-term two or three day injury does become a problem with Rojas on the team, because if whoever is playing SS gets hurt in a game after one of Iglesias or Fletcher are already hurt we're forced to play somebody out of position at SS. And for that reason, Rojas probably spends most of this year in AAA. It makes sense from a roster construction standpoint. All that said, I view the Fletcher/Iglesias is hurt but not hurt enough to go on the IL, then whoever is playing SS also gets hurt in a game scenario as something unlikely to happen more than a couple of times in the year. And maybe we end up losing those games because we end up playing somebody out of position at SS, or maybe we don't. I'm more scared of losing several games because we're giving Rengifo or Barreto semi-regular ABs while they rock a .600-ish OPS. But that's what we'll do. Though I really do hope that Rengifo or Barreto figure it out at the plate and make this discussion not worth having.