• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who wins the Angels 4th & 5th Outfield Roster Spots?

Who wins the 4th and 5th outfield roster spots?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Vote on who you think will make the team out of spring training

8 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

It needs to be Lagares badly but I can’t shake the feeling that it will be Jon “Leadership Team” Jay. Maddon loves him. Lagares will 100% be a starter or 4th outfielder on an MLB team this year. He’d be a great fit and I hope they keep him. I’d take him over Fowler some nights. 

Maddon does like Jay, but I think Lagares will win out because he's the best fit to fill in for Trout, and he's also a natural fit on a roster that likely needs some late-inning defensive replacements (for either Upton or Fowler) in the OF, as he's definitely the best defender.  He can also serve as a pinch-runner, too.

Despite having a below average bat, he's usually had a positive fWAR, simply because of the defensive value he brings.

Jay can play CF too, but he's a much poorer defender.  I think Jay will serve as AAA depth and Lagares wins the spot.

Ward SHOULD win a spot, but he'll lose out due to a roster crunch because we have to continue to carry Pujols on the active roster.

For me it's Taylor Ward wins a spot. He has earned a spot by paying his dues to this organization. We all know his story drafted as a catcher asked to switch positions. This spring Taylor reports early to camp to work as a catcher. Also bring OF and 1B glove. I would also put Jose Rojas on the bench, he adds a lefty bat and has also paid his dues. Angels will only carry 5 bench spots if bullpen has only 7 in it. With a 6 man rotation why not have starters (not Ohtani) throw out of pen 1 day a week. Why is Dexter Fowler just given RF job? Scott Schebler has not been mentioned for job and has had a decent this spring. 

10 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

For me it's Taylor Ward wins a spot. He has earned a spot by paying his dues to this organization. We all know his story drafted as a catcher asked to switch positions. This spring Taylor reports early to camp to work as a catcher. Also bring OF and 1B glove. I would also put Jose Rojas on the bench, he adds a lefty bat and has also paid his dues. Angels will only carry 5 bench spots if bullpen has only 7 in it. With a 6 man rotation why not have starters (not Ohtani) throw out of pen 1 day a week. Why is Dexter Fowler just given RF job? Scott Schebler has not been mentioned for job and has had a decent this spring. 

Fowler is the only one on an MLB contract and we know Maddon is a huge fan of his.  If Fowler plays poorly for an extended time, I'm sure we'll pivot and won't just keep trotting him out (like we do with Pujols).  Having Schebler and Jay at the alternate site is useful in that it provides a layer of serviceable MLB depth while Marsh and Adell take time to grow and play better.

Schebler is someone I could see potentially displacing Fowler if Fowler is awful.  But he's looked decent so far this spring, so I don't see a reason for him to be displaced currently, especially given SSS.

As for Ward - he has an option still, and I expect that option to be used.  Ward seems like he can be a useful utility player, but I see him being "blocked" by Pujols in terms of roster construction.  Lagares is the 4th OF, one of Barreto or Rengifo is the backup middle infielder/occasional OFer, Suzuki the backup C, and then we have one spot which, unfortunately, has to go to Pujols.

This is actually a good discussion. 

I think Lagares is a lock. And while Jon Jay is a Maddon guy, Ward can play multiple positions and act as a 2nd utility guy. 

Ward makes the most sense. But I think it will be Jay because CLUBHOUSE GUY and he's also a left handed bat, something we sorely lack.

The Angels have a 40 man roster spot open. I think that spot will be for another bp arm.  Lagares is not on the 40 man roster. So who would get bumped? I think the only reason Lagares might bump someone is because he can play cf. With Ward being able to fill in at 5 different positions, it makes for a tough decision. The Angels could use Fowler in cf to give Trout a day off when needed. And keep Lagares in SLC.  Have to admit, Lagares is making this a tough decision.

3 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I just don't think there's room for Lagares and Ward.  Is my math wrong?  

Starting 9 (including Ohtani), Albert, Util inf, 2nd catcher, Another guy, 5 other starters, 8 pen guys.  

Unless they go with 7 pen guys which seems doubtful.  

yep. And i can't see them trying to remove Ward from the 40 man roster, when he still has 2 options remaining. I think it has to be a bp arm like Bard who get bumped. Then i could see Lagares and Ward bouncing back & forth between Ana & SLC depending on who they need.

4 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I just don't think there's room for Lagares and Ward.  Is my math wrong?  

Starting 9 (including Ohtani), Albert, Util inf, 2nd catcher, Another guy, 5 other starters, 8 pen guys.  

Unless they go with 7 pen guys which seems doubtful.  

This. There is only a 4th OF slot - so one of Lagares, Jay, and Ward.

It will probably be Lagares, with Ward in AAA and Jay DFA - either to AAA as depth or signed by another team. Choosing Jay over Lagares because Jay is a "Maddon guy" would be dumb.

I think the position players and starting rotation are all set. What is unclear to me is how the bullpen will look. The locks seem to be Iglesias, Mayers, Barria, Buttrey, Pena, and Claudio, but that leaves two spots. Rivera hasn't pitched, as far as I can tell, but needs to be on the roster unless they're OK losing him (or I missed something). Sandoval would be nice to have, but they may start him in AAA to keep him stretched out. They've been giving Faria a lot of innings (relatively speaking), but I think he's heading for AAA. Same with Brady. Guerra? Pannone? Chavez? I think Chavez is let go of.

7 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

It will probably be Lagares, with Ward in AAA and Jay DFA - either to AAA as depth or signed by another team. Choosing Jay over Lagares because Jay is a "Maddon guy" would be dumb.

I think the position players and starting rotation are all set. What is unclear to me is how the bullpen will look. The locks seem to be Iglesias, Mayers, Barria, Buttrey, Pena, and Claudio, but that leaves two spots. Rivera hasn't pitched, as far as I can tell, but needs to be on the roster unless they're OK losing him (or I missed something). Sandoval would be nice to have, but they may start him in AAA to keep him stretched out. They've been giving Faria a lot of innings (relatively speaking), but I think he's heading for AAA. Same with Brady. Guerra? Pannone? Chavez? I think Chavez is let go of.

scary bullpen.  not in a good way.  

23 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I think Guerra has a pretty good shot of making the club.

I saw something from Maddon the other day saying something along the lines of "it'll be difficult for (Rivera) to make the club."  

So assuming it isn't him, that opens up the last spot for someone who is performing well.  Faria?  Rowen?  Reed?  Pannone?  Maybe Brady?  A few weeks of spring training left to figure that out.  Maybe someone rises to the occasion, or maybe we end up acquiring a reliever.

I don't think that's a lockdown pen, but I don't think it's as bad as some are saying.  Last year, we were basically utilizing two guys constantly (Mayers, Pena) to get through the end of the game.

The way I see it, we should have a really good closer and set-up guy now, and hopefully at least one of Buttrey or Pena can be a solid 7th inning reliever.  The rest - hopefully one or two step-up and perform well.  Claudio should at least be pretty good at neutralizing LHHs.

Again, not the most exciting bullpen, but at least we should have some good late inning relievers in close games.

4 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

He has earned a spot by paying his dues to this organization?

Wow do you have it backwards.

Ward was overdrafted, and then this organization has been doing gymnastics to find a way for their overdrafted first rounder to somehow, some way end up a contributor.

This organization owes him nothing.  It’s the other way around.  Ward has been given nine lives in this organization when other players would have been kicked to the curb.

No he hasn’t “paid his dues” as much as he has been the beneficiary of an organization trying desperately to not end up embarrassed by having a bust of a first round pick. . . Especially when most of baseball basically laughed at them on the spot for making this pick.

31 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Ward was overdrafted, and then this organization has been doing gymnastics to find a way for their overdrafted first rounder to somehow, some way end up a contributor.

This organization owes him nothing.  It’s the other way around.  Ward has been given nine lives in this organization when other players would have been kicked to the curb.

No he hasn’t “paid his dues” as much as he has been the beneficiary of an organization trying desperately to not end up embarrassed by having a bust of a first round pick. . . Especially when most of baseball basically laughed at them on the spot for making this pick.

To me Ward brings more value to team than Lugares. I like to promote from within.By paying his dues he has done everything asked of him by the halos. If he was over drafted why would you blame him? Ward will be a contributor this year. Many first round picks become bust in all sports.

32 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Ouch! But I agree. Ward is very good ball player but his ceiling is only so high. Marsh on the other hand may become a good MLB player. Maybe an all-star. I don't see Ward ever being an all-star and Flecther can put on the catchers gear in an emergency situation so the idea that he can catch doesn't really matter. If Suzuki or Stassi get hurt they are going to call up a catcher immediately. I would leave Ward at SL and hope he does really well and trade him when his stock is high. Same goes for Adell. He is never going to be a good MLB player. I would try to convert him to a 1st baseman. He cannot track a damn routine flyball. He needs time to develop is bullshit. There are kids playing JV high school ball that are better outfielders than him. 

1 hour ago, Angels 1961 said:

To me Ward brings more value to team than Lugares. I like to promote from within.By paying his dues he has done everything asked of him by the halos. If he was over drafted why would you blame him? Ward will be a contributor this year. Many first round picks become bust in all sports.

97% of minor leagues “do everything asked of them” by their organizations.

Ward gets no additional points for being special on this.

19 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

It needs to be Lagares badly but I can’t shake the feeling that it will be Jon “Leadership Team” Jay. Maddon loves him. Lagares will 100% be a starter or 4th outfielder on an MLB team this year. He’d be a great fit and I hope they keep him. I’d take him over Fowler some nights. 

Same. While I shouldn't be get worked up over the 4th outfield spot, I just would despise that decision so much. Unless something changes, it should be Lagares.

38 minutes ago, stormngt said:

I have Legares and Ward.  Legares has earned the spot and Ward has greater versatility. 

39 minutes ago, stormngt said:

I have Legares and Ward.  Legares has earned the spot and Ward has greater versatility. 

That only happens if Angels carry 5 bench players. To do that only 7 in bullpen.

Lagares is gonna make the roster.

I don't think you need a fifth outfielder.  You can go with someone that plays some outfield and some infield.   

Moreso than I can ever remember, the Angels are trying things out... with Rengifo, Ward, even Rojas... playing all over. I dig it. 

I think Rengifo and Ward make it.  I don't see Jon Jay being any good and his versatility seems more limited.  Being able to play first base is pointless with Walsh and Pujols on the roster

I'd say Ward and either Lagares or Jay.

Lagares has had a good spring. Jay is a seasoned vet.

Either one could be a 4-A player at SLC

It may depend on which player has the best chance to hook on with another MLB club - It's March 15 - time to make a decision,.

If Jay (or Lagares) but focusing on Jay -- if Jay has a shot to make another team's opening day roster, the Halos should let him know he's not making the opening day roster and give him (non-roster invitee?) a choice of being offered a 4-A type deal with SLC for2021 or catching on with some other team with what's left of ST. Teams do this as a courtesy to players seeking to maintain their MLB careers and capture more MLB playing active roster days playing time - helps with their pensions.

Lagares has had the better Spring.

Ward ? It's time he made the big club , can be a depth OF and also utility guy elsewhere, 3B - could even be third/ fourth string catcher if called upon. He stays as part of the 26.  I'd keep an extra pen guy as the 26th guy instead of a position player.

Halos going with a 6 man rotation again? Might need an extra starter to spell Otani if he can't make the season start rotation.

16 hours ago, disarcina said:

I'd say Ward and either Lagares or Jay.

Lagares has had a good spring. Jay is a seasoned vet.

Either one could be a 4-A player at SLC

It may depend on which player has the best chance to hook on with another MLB club - It's March 15 - time to make a decision,.

If Jay (or Lagares) but focusing on Jay -- if Jay has a shot to make another team's opening day roster, the Halos should let him know he's not making the opening day roster and give him (non-roster invitee?) a choice of being offered a 4-A type deal with SLC for2021 or catching on with some other team with what's left of ST. Teams do this as a courtesy to players seeking to maintain their MLB careers and capture more MLB playing active roster days playing time - helps with their pensions.

Lagares has had the better Spring.

Ward ? It's time he made the big club , can be a depth OF and also utility guy elsewhere, 3B - could even be third/ fourth string catcher if called upon. He stays as part of the 26.  I'd keep an extra pen guy as the 26th guy instead of a position player.

Halos going with a 6 man rotation again? Might need an extra starter to spell Otani if he can't make the season start rotation.

What makes you think Ohtani won’t be ready? He’s given up runs but his stuff has looked good. While I have no doubt he’ll be on an innings limit, he will also be in the opening day rotation 

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

What makes you think Ohtani won’t be ready? He’s given up runs but his stuff has looked good. While I have no doubt he’ll be on an innings limit, he will also be in the opening day rotation 

well - I guess his hitting is coming along just fine this Spring-- I just see some issues with his rotation role -- perhaps it will all be worked out,