• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What would you like to see in the new CBA

Very well written... love the idea of the revenue sharing floor by the way.  also the Bird rule and exemptions for teams trying to keep their own.

I do think 26 is too soon for FA and 24 too early for Arb.... not everyone makes it at the same ages, maybe something like after second FULL season in majors for Arb and FA after 5?

As others have said the ability to trade draft picks.

And im ok with expanded playoffs but not to get more teams in as much as to make it harder for the WC and put more value on winning the division. 
I would take the best 4 non division winners and put them in two short series of 3 games to determine the actual WC entry.  I get that this would cause delays for the division winners of up to a week before beginning division play and as such and may not be practical but at minimum take the 4 of them and have them play 2 play in games the right into the opener of the division.

Oh and the extra innings rule with the last out at 2B.  I know a lot hate it but for all the years i spent coaching softball it makes you not want to go to those extras knowing thats looming especially if you have a weaker defensive catcher.

2 hours ago, floplag said:

And im ok with expanded playoffs but not to get more teams in as much as to make it harder for the WC and put more value on winning the division. 
I would take the best 4 non division winners and put them in two short series of 3 games to determine the actual WC entry.  I get that this would cause delays for the division winners of up to a week before beginning division play and as such and may not be practical but at minimum take the 4 of them and have them play 2 play in games the right into the opener of the division.

That's actually a disadvantage for the division winners because they are getting cold while the other team is playing hot. It's not impossible to win under those circumstances, but it's a big advantage to whoever wins the other series. 

This seems like a pointless over complication when just keeping it the same with two WC only provides a big enough advantage to the division winners. 

3 hours ago, happybat4 said:

I agree with the salary floor. I also think players should be free agents 5 years after signing. There should be no service time manipulation.

I said this before.  It is not right fir a team to sign an 18 year old, develop him for four or five years and then lose him once he reaches his potential.  The team drafted and developed him.  They should get a return on their investment. 

That said a floor cap is good.  Maybe increasing minimum wage and allowing free agency a year later.

As for manipulation of service time that can easily be changed.  Give a full year service time for anyone who plays over 60 games.

2 hours ago, Pancake Bear said:

I'm in absolute agreement. I don't know if people look at other sports and think, "Why is mlb's playoffs so small?" but there are significant reasons why it ought to be small. Due to how random a given playoff series is, if you expand playoffs, you're increasing the chance significantly that crappy teams will win the WS more often. The current format screens out all the legitimately bad teams. 

While it isn't perfect, the 3 division winners plus 2 Wild Cards in a one game play-in is probably the best system you're going to find. 

I would prefer best of three for the wild card game.  The team with the best single starting pitcher isn't always the best team.

Some fun ones...

Rotating Divisional Alignment & Post Season Format

Every five years announce five different alignments and formats for upcoming seasons. So, for example, in 2022 we could have an all west coast team division with the Angels and the Dodgers (etc), then in '23 maybe we go old school and have the pre-wild card 2 division format. In 2024 maybe we try @floplag's playoff format, or some kind of round robin. Then in '25 (and every 5th year that follows, '30, '35 etc) we go back to the tried and true 2 leagues, with 3 divisions and 1 wild card format. Everyone has their own idea for what would be a fun post season format, this way eventually we'll see it, and because it's just for one year there isn't any pressure to please everyone and make it perfect.

Tie Revenue Sharing To Winning & Payroll

First we'll need to dramatically increase the percentage of revenue teams put into the revenue sharing pool. From there each win, post season included, earns a team a share of this pool, plus a bonus for winning the world series. Since revenue sharing is designed to help small market clubs we'll want to adjust that number up or down based on an individual teams share of total league wide payroll. 

Create a Restricted Free Agent Class Based On Age

This would apply to all players with more than one year of service time based on age at the start of the season. From age 23-28 players would be subject to a secret bidding process that replaces arbitration by allowing other teams to make offers to players. Each year a players assigned team has to formally tender their player a contract for the upcoming season. Other teams are allowed to submit offers to any of these players as well. For a 23 year, old the current team's offer has to be greater than 15% of the highest bidding offer to be automatically accepted, and this percentage increases by 15% per year (30% for a 24yo, 45%, 60%, 75%, 90% for a 28yo, then free agency). If the current team's offer fails to meet the threshold the player can now negotiate with both teams and sign for up to 15% of the highest offer. If the player signs with the highest bidder the high bidder must pay the original team the difference between the players salary and the highest bid for each season they have the player. The team that loses the player counts this money as shareable revenue. 

Dual Substitution Rule 

Creates a hybrid approach to the pitcher vs DH argument. The rule allows the manager to return one player to eligibility following a substitution. This means the manager can pinch hit for the pitcher, lose the pinch hitter and return the pitcher to the mound. Alternatively the manager could keep the pinch hitter (de facto DH) and remove the pitcher from the game. The same rule can be used for defensive replacements, pinch runners or to pinch hit for catchers. This maintains pitcher batting in low leverage situations and introduces an added layer of strategy to the game for managers, rather than reducing strategy with a universal DH.

No Free Timeout

Just get rid of it... give managers maybe 3 or 4 timeouts per game. Aside from when the ball goes out of play there will be no stoppage of the game to adjust your batting gloves, return your elbow pad, discuss strategy with your pitcher, change pitchers, tie your shoe etc.

Thank you for subscribing to my blog.

2 hours ago, stormngt said:

I said this before.  It is not right fir a team to sign an 18 year old, develop him for four or five years and then lose him once he reaches his potential.  The team drafted and developed him.  They should get a return on their investment. 

That said a floor cap is good.  Maybe increasing minimum wage and allowing free agency a year later.

As for manipulation of service time that can easily be changed.  Give a full year service time for anyone who plays over 60 games.

They get that 18 year old for 6-10 years.  Seems like a pretty good return on investment.  If they want to keep him then provide an environment where he wants to be, and then pay him.  You do that and you will keep more than you lose.  

1 hour ago, Pancake Bear said:

Too much of a delay, and the luck of the WC game is kinda the point. You lose the division, you gotta face the 50-50. 

Disagree.  Play three games at one site.  The 2nd and third games is a double header if needed.

You only push things back one day.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

They get that 18 year old for 6-10 years.  Seems like a pretty good return on investment.  If they want to keep him then provide an environment where he wants to be, and then pay him.  You do that and you will keep more than you lose.  

Still disagree.  Most 18 year olds needs 5 years to develop before we even know he is a mlb player.  That is a shitty investment. 

16 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Still disagree.  Most 18 year olds needs 5 years to develop before we even know he is a mlb player.  That is a shitty investment. 

It really isn't a shitty investment.  They are paid less than a livable wage in the lower minor leagues, less than minimum wage.  When they get to AAA they are paid $1600-2800 a month.  They are underpaid their first 6 years in the big leagues.  They have 6-12 years to foster a relationship.  They have 6 years in the major leagues to sign them to an extension before they leave for free agency.  

3 hours ago, halomatt said:

Eliminate the draft. Each and every kid is declared a free agent at age 18 and all teams are free to negotiate. 

That’s pretty much it. 

The Yankees & Dodgers would love that. The money they would throw around to sign as many as they want. Their Low A rosters will be better than most Orgs MLB team, after about 5 years in. That is why MLB installed the draft back in the day.

Here is what I'd like to see,

- Universal DH

- Get rid of the Black out rule for MLB TV

- Expanded playoffs, keep the list short though (Wild card best of 3). Want to make sure the marathon of regular season matters but still keep it interesting for teams in late July & August. 

- Geographic Realignment

Something along the lines like this: More games in our own time zone, more Geographic rivalries, less travel. 

East

• Baltimore Orioles
  • Boston Red Sox
  • Miami Marlins
  • New York Mets
  • New York Yankees
  • Philadelphia Phillies
  • Pittsburgh Pirates
  • Tampa Bay Rays
  • Toronto Blue Jays
  • Washington Nationals

Central

• Atlanta Braves
  • Chicago Cubs
  • Chicago White Sox
  • Cincinnati Reds
  • Cleveland Indians
  • Detroit Tigers
  • Kansas City Royals
  • Milwaukee Brewers
  • Minnesota Twins
  • St. Louis Cardinals

West

• Arizona Diamondbacks
  • Colorado Rockies
  • Houston Astros
  • Los Angeles Angels
  • Los Angeles Dodgers
  • Oakland Athletics
  • San Diego Padres
  • San Francisco Giants
  • Seattle Mariners
  • Texas Rangers

7 hours ago, stormngt said:

Make players go to college first like other sports do. Mlb has way to many levels. It should be college, AA, AAA and the majors.

16 hours ago, Pancake Bear said:

That's actually a disadvantage for the division winners because they are getting cold while the other team is playing hot. It's not impossible to win under those circumstances, but it's a big advantage to whoever wins the other series. 

This seems like a pointless over complication when just keeping it the same with two WC only provides a big enough advantage to the division winners. 

as said, that why you dont make it too long but the advantage is being able to set rotations and everything and face whoever is left for the WC.  It could be either.

12 hours ago, Stradling said:

It really isn't a shitty investment.  They are paid less than a livable wage in the lower minor leagues, less than minimum wage.  When they get to AAA they are paid $1600-2800 a month.  They are underpaid their first 6 years in the big leagues.  They have 6-12 years to foster a relationship.  They have 6 years in the major leagues to sign them to an extension before they leave for free agency.  

There isnt any cost on facility,  travel, per diem, coaching, equipment?

45 minutes ago, stormngt said:

There isnt any cost on facility,  travel, per diem, coaching, equipment?

Of course there is.  I have no idea how much is covered by the major league team and how much is covered by the minor league team.  I believe the Dodgers are the only ownership group that owns their minor league teams and they may only one.  It’s completely possible the minor league team covers the facility and per diem and bus travel.