• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2021 Major League Baseball (News, Notes & Scores around the League)

Chuck

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

Corbin Burnes...wow.

4 GS, 24.1 IP, 8 hits, one run (0.37 ERA), and zero walks to 40 strikeouts.

Started career in the pen for the Brewers in 2018-2019, great rookie season, horrible soph season.

Converted to rotation for 2020 season.

Finished 6th in NL Cy Young voting in 2020 for the Brewers: 59.2 innings, 2.11 ERA, 1.02 WHIP, 88 Ks

The control so far in 2021 is unexpected, though.   He walked 24 in 2020.

Past 83.2 innings as Brewers starter:  128/24 Ks/BBs, 1.62 ERA, 0.83 WHIP 

22 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Started career in the pen for the Brewers in 2018-2019, great rookie season, horrible soph season.

Converted to rotation for 2020 season.

Finished 6th in NL Cy Young voting in 2020 for the Brewers: 59.2 innings, 2.11 ERA, 1.02 WHIP, 88 Ks

The control so far in 2021 is unexpected, though.   He walked 24 in 2020.

Past 83.2 innings as Brewers starter:  128/24 Ks/BBs, 1.62 ERA, 0.83 WHIP 

But I thought starting pitching prospects couldn't do this?!

Maybe Chris Rodriguez will do something like this for us in 2023 or so.

3 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Thoughts?

I think it would result is more injuries, pitchers maxing out harder, it would completely mess up their breaking pitches. As Joe Maddon said, I'm in favor of the game changing, as long as it does so organically. This is forcing change where there doesn't necessarily need to be change. 

Station to station baseball will get old and hit and run baseball will make it's comeback. Starting pitchers being removed once through the order will probably become outdated too. Pitch counts being firmly asking 100 may even run their course. The shift doesn't need to be banned, it needs to be defeated, just as Gallo did. 

Some rules I am favor of forcing into the game are larger bases, and the double hook, losing your DH after the SP is removed. It creates more opportunity for movement on the base paths, reduces collisions by increasing space, forces managers to become more tactical, opens up DH jobs in the NL while also preserving the NL style of play. 

2 hours ago, arch stanton said:

Today I’ve been taking advantage of these early afternoon games to watch some other teams play. Ari-Cin and Pit-Det and I’m almost ashamed of how many players on these teams I’ve never heard of 

I can name more players on the Royal Challengers Bangalore of the IPL than I can on Tigers and Pirates combined. 

16 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Another example from years back was the Red Sux’ Derek “DX Chop” Lowe.  He was a reliever until conversion to starter for the 2002 season, and won 21 games with a 2.58 ERA and 0.97 WHIP in 2002 (3rd in AL Cy Young voting).

Lowe (129 MiLB starts) like Burnes (52), worked as a SP through AAA...   They were both allowed to develop and use their full arsenals as SPs.   Starting them in the pen was no big deal.   That's the big difference between how they were handled and what's going on with CRod.

7 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Lowe like Burnes worked as a SP through AAA...   They were both allowed to develop and use their full arsenals as SPs.   Starting them in the pen was no big deal.   That's the big difference between how they were handled and what's going on with CRod.

Excellent point, and why I like more now the idea of having CRod focus on 1-2 innings as a 3rd late innings guy after Iglesias and Mayers.

Let him build up the innings at a realistic pace, while being an integral reliever.

Minor league batters cannot handle his kind of stuff.   Waste of time having him pitch down there

Edited by Angel Oracle

18 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Excellent point, and why I like more now the idea of having CRod focus on 1-2 innings as a 3rd late innings guy after Iglesias and Mayers.

Let him build up the innings at a realistic pace, while being an integral part of the bullpen.

His stuff is no match for the minor leagues.

The issue is he's not being asked to develop those secondary pitches.   He's been essentially a two pitch guy so far 62% FBs, 26% CBs.   

His changeup was considered his best pitch by pretty much everyone yet he's thrown it all of 5.7% of the time.  There is ZERO development going on -- it's actually been his worst performing pitch and that has everything to do with how he's not developing it..  Last night was a pretty clear example of how little interest Maddon has in having him actually grow as a pitcher.

But, genius at work...

9 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Maddon should still let him throw those other two pitches more often, based on the game situation.

Just trying to find the right balance for CRod

He just doesn't need them when he's going in short spurts...  He's never seeing the lineup a second time so he's not needing to throw all his pitches.   He is doing exactly what he's been asked to do.