• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Tark the Shark Stories with @stormngt

T.G.

29 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Thanks in advance @stormngt for doing this.

Were you at the NCAA tournament game where the referees stole the game from Long Beach State against UCLA?

Yes, but I was only 8.  Around 2012 my brother got a DVD of the game and I watch it again.  I have found out 9 out of 10 times when people complain of bad calls I discover they weren't so bad when I watch them on tape later when emotions subsided. 

A good example was greg anthony 5th foul against Dule in the 1991 Final  Four.  Everyone thought that was a horrible call.  However when I watch it on tape it really could have gone either way  

But so in the 1971 LB-UCLA game.  When we watched the DVD Ratliff (who was killing UCLA in the first half) not one but three phantom calls against him.  That 5th foul against Ratliff was non existent.

The story I heard was that JD Morgan (UCLA AD was yelling at the NCAA officials at half time).

Long Beach had the ball tied late in the game.  My father went to the 4 corners for one shot.  He wanted to either win it or send it to overtime.  George Trapp was supposed to take the last shot.  However, Ratliff replacement Dwight Tayler who was not a good shooter, ended up taking the shot too soon.  UCLA rebounded was fouled and they beat Long Beach by 2.

I remember my father telling this story.  He said "had I had a gun as Taylor took that shot I would have shot him".

Not many people know how good the long beach teams were.  They had Ratliff who was an All American and Olympian, Chuck Terry who was on the Pan American team, George Trapp was the teams best player and made the NBA and I believe Glen McDonald was on that team who also played in the NBA.

4 minutes ago, stormngt said:

The story I heard was that JD Morgan (UCLA AD was yelling at the NCAA officials at half time).

Years and years ago, I read "The Wizard of Westwood" and it talked about how Morgan was yelling that "42 is holding!" all game long."

Edited by True Grich

2 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Would love to know your thoughts on what made your dad such a great recruiter?

I think my father reputation as a great recruiter was because he would work harder than other coaches and he related so well with the African American athlete. 

I remember my father saying in those days you can outwork schools and develop relationship with the players in their families.  The NCAA would limit recruiting period and contact periods that made it harder to outwork people.

My father was also non-judgmental.  He wasn't afraid of dealing with players who other coaches had a hard time dealing with.  That is how he got his reputation as "pied piper of long beach"

My father preached loyalty and he knew loyalty was a two way street.  I believe someone quoted Ratliff saying the players would work hard for Tark because they saw Tark working hard for them. 

Too many coaches view loyalty as a one way street.

That philosophy paid dividends for me when I coached in Juco 

49 minutes ago, True Grich said:

About that George Gervin story...

A late friend (former LB State swimmer in that era) had told me what happened many years back.

Eric McWilliams was the player who was in charge of showing Gervin around.

When Tark asked Eric why he drove him to the airport, he said “You told me to do whatever George wanted.”

Another classic: In 1975, post player Edgar Jones decided to attend Nevada-Reno.   On the first day of school, he shows up in Tark’s office and says he’s ready to play.   Tark then tells him “I’d love to have you Edgar, but you signed with Nevada-Reno.”

Edited by Angel Oracle

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

A late friend (former LB State swimmer in that era) had told me what happened many years back.

Eric McWilliams was the player who was in charge of showing Gervin around.

When Tark asked Eric why he drove him to the airport, he said “You told me to do whatever George wanted.”

Another classic: In 1975, post player Edgar Jones decided to attend Nevada-Reno.   On the first day of school, he shows up in Tark’s office and says he’s ready to play.   Tark then tells him “I’d love to have you Edgar, but you signed with Nevada-Reno.”

Eric William's and Gervin played the same position.

You told it just like my father did

Never heard of the Edgar Jones story.  Do you have the year right? We moved to Vegas in 1973

On 2/26/2021 at 4:14 PM, True Grich said:

Stormn - are you still coaching? Do you stay connected to basketball in some way?

Last year I coached in college was 2004 when my school dropped basketball.  I directed the basketball academy for 10 years, coached HS basketball for three years and coached for the Las Vegas Aces of the ABA one year.

I got out of basketball completely when my son graduated HS.  I am just a fan now. 

Edited by stormngt

What was the story with H Waldman? Why did he transfer to St. Louis? Wasn't he sort of a legend in Vegas HS basketball?

Edit: I forgot... your dad left UNLV during Waldman's time there...

Edited by True Grich

8 minutes ago, True Grich said:

What was the story with H Waldman? Why did he transfer to St. Louis? Wasn't he sort of a legend in Vegas HS basketball?

Yep, Waldman left when Tark left. Guess he didn't want to play for Rollie. 

10 minutes ago, True Grich said:

H left when my father left.  He didn't want to play fir Massino

4 hours ago, stormngt said:

Eric William's and Gervin played the same position.

You told it just like my father did

Never heard of the Edgar Jones story.  Do you have the year right? We moved to Vegas in 1973

Edgar was a freshman in the 1975-76 season.

Ended up averaging a double-double all 4 seasons.

Edited by Angel Oracle